Long time BlackBerry fan, need Android device advice

Midnight Barbecue

May 12, 2019
Visit site
I'm a long time BB user on the Verizon network in the U.S.. I started with the Storm, then went to the Storm II, Torch (best screen ever, and it was plastic!), Z10, Z30, and now the Priv. Had (well, still do) a Playbook in there too.
Some of these were real lame, some were good. I think the Z30 is my favorite (wife still uses it). The Z30 had awesome speakers, antenna, good replaceable battery.

The Priv is on it's last leg - battery goes from 100% to 30% in under an hour with heavy web use, gets hot - too hot to handle, and honestly it was never comfortable to hold anyway. I don't use the slider keyboard, prefer the VKB. Most of what I do is web surfing, email/texting and app use. No movies or music.

What does anyone recommend next? I need to stay on Verizon for the coverage where I travel unless the T-mobile/Sprint merger happens, but that is now looking doubtful.
I SERIOUSLY considered the KeyOne but just don't think I can handle the keyboard in my face all the time without making use of it. The Motion sounded good but it won't work w/Verizon as far as I know. Next I considered the Moto Z3 but there are a few things I don't like about it so still on the fence there. I do like the Motorola prices.

What I need: Full touch, good battery life, something that won't cost me an arm and a leg (rules out most Apple stuff), large screen

What I really want: QI charging, fast charging, replaceable battery, good speakerphone sound, USB C.

What I'd like to avoid: Glass back (whose stupid idea was that?) because I do tend to be a bit rough. Crappy laggy performance. Anything too heavy, I likde to keep it in my front shirt pocket.

I'd like to stay with BB, but I see no options there. I hate Google (Possibly the antichrist?) but see Android as my only real option, as I'm priced out of the Apple lineup.
I don't need the latest and greatest, a 1 or even 2 year old model is fime as ling as it is feature packed.

Well, ideas anyone?
Thanks,
Rick

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You won't get all of the features you are looking for combined even if you look at used options. Removable battery eliminates wireless charging as well metal backed phones. You won't find a current phone with removable battery

I would look at some of these features and break it down into must haves vs liked to have.

If you can give up the removable battery I would suggest Pixel 3a since you also don't like glass backs. It's a plastic backed phone which will give you everything except water resistance if that's not a concern.

Midnight Barbecue

May 12, 2019
Visit site
Are you willing to be on a payment plan through Verizon?

Edit: If yes, what would be your preferred payment amount?

I'm not necessarily opposed to a payment, but typically like to buy outright. It depends on the incentive. Verizon has a half price sale on the Motorola Z3 right now if I make payments of $10/month but I don't care for their terms. If I'm not misreading, they want me to pay the full price in advance and get a rebate after 24 months. If that's the case I'd rather buy off eBay, Craigslist, or Amazon
I wouldn't want to go over $15 or $20/month if making payments.

Midnight Barbecue

May 12, 2019
Visit site
You won't get all of the features you are looking for combined even if you look at used options. Removable battery eliminates wireless charging as well metal backed phones. You won't find a current phone with removable battery

I would look at some of these features and break it down into must haves vs liked to have.

If you can give up the removable battery I would suggest Pixel 3a since you also don't like glass backs. It's a plastic backed phone which will give you everything except water resistance if that's not a concern.

I know I can't have everything and will probably end up with a non-removeable battery. If I end up with a stupid glass back I'll get a folio case. Highest criteria would be mid to higher end performance, quick charging, medium-sized to large screen (not too large to cart or use comfortably). Next would be wireless charging.
Thanks for your advice, I'll check out the Pixel but think I might be a little too 'anti Google' for it.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I can't help but second the Pixel 3a recommendation. It's not gonna check all of your boxes, but it's gonna be the best bang for your buck. Apart from that, anything from OnePlus would be great. Or, if we're making compromises, one of last year's flagships. Something like an LG G7.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your advice, I'll check out the Pixel but think I might be a little too 'anti Google' for it.

Like @MikeDee I was thinking of suggesting the Pixel 3a as well. It was actually the first phone I thought of even after you said you were anti Google. And the biggest reason was like @gendo667 said, it's the best bang for your buck, which seemed to be the most important thing.

The upside is you should be able to get it at a Verizon location, so you can at least hold it in your hand.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Did you end up making a choice, OP? I too was going to recommend the Pixel line. I too was a BlackBerry user/enthusiast and when I made the switch to Android, I bought a Google Nexus 5 - which was stock Android at the time and it was a really good, bare-bones introduction to Android. I think the Pixel line would be a good way to get your "feet wet" with Android. And even though you aren't a huge fan of Google, at least it is a very smooth OS and so you won't be bogged down with manufacturer-specific bloatware (like what you'd get with Samsung or LG in some cases).

deltaTgm

Apr 10, 2018
Visit site
I don't know what difference a pixel3a and pixel 3 is but I think bang for buck you may want a pixel 2 as well and just load up the bb suite. I have a pixel 2 xl and loaded what I want from bb... BlackBerry vkb and inbox. Don't use the rest. But password keeper etc is Handy.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Consider an S8 on Straight Talk (uses Verizon network). Great phone, still fast, only $300 at Walmart. Only problem is my S8 (purchased in August) has profuse display burn-in, but that will happen with every OLED phone if you are a WhatsApp addict like I am.