Difference between USB cables????

Robby Dosetareh

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I ran across this forum as I was trying to research an issue I have. Currently I have the Samsung Note 3. This problem however has to do with both, my current and my last phone which was a Galaxy S3.

Basically, I can use the exact same USB wall charger, but depending on the USB cable I use, I either get a very fast charge time (from 2% to +/- 20% or 25%) in the matter of 10-15 mins, or I plug it in and after half an hour, it has not even reached 10% yet.

I would have thought that it's because of USB 3.0 but I have had the same problem with my S3 and I have also used a good working USB 2.0 cable on the Note 3 and had it charge very fast and vise versa.

My question is: is therr a secret to how the USB cables are wired (+5V/GRND/D+/D-) or are they all wired standard? Just to make sure, the pair of data wires does not require to be connected for charging only, right?

At first I thought that it was the USB wall charger (less than 2A/2000mA) but then I realized that this was not the case and that the main thing making a difference is the USB wire I was using.

I have also downloaded an app that tells me how many amperes the phone is drawing while charging and it too changes with the same wall charger but different cables.

I can't believe I am asking this one question because I should know this but: Is it possible that the wires used are able to only handle a certain amount of current?

Any and all replies are appreciated. Thank you.

augas111

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, they can only can handle some amount of current. All the cables are wired standart, because if there wuld be difference, you could easily burn your phone.

Source: I am electric engineer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress