Hooking into a Projector

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I am planning on taking my Bionic (when I get it) to school (obviously) and often my teachers have really crappy ways of showing things on a projector. Be it an iPad on the crappy WiFi we have at school, a really old laptop, or an iPad with poor 3G signal. Last year, I was carrying around my laptop a lot so that I could do work on it, and usually put it in my car at lunch so I didn't have to carry it. Since the class I will need work done in is my last one this year, I won't be carrying around my laptop. So why use a crappy 3G signal when I can get a great 4G signal (when they set up 4G here) and be faster. So what I was wondering is how I can hook up the phone to a projector that doesn't have HDMI. I know some of my teachers have nice projectors with HDMI slots, but not all, so I would like to be able to hook my phone up instead of lugging around my laptop. I think the connection would be VGA or the old school yellow AVI connection. Do they make those sort of things to plug into the phone? I know they do for iPhones, so it would come as a surprise to me that Apple has something that Android doesn't do.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
I am planning on taking my Bionic (when I get it) to school (obviously) and often my teachers have really crappy ways of showing things on a projector. Be it an iPad on the crappy WiFi we have at school, a really old laptop, or an iPad with poor 3G signal. Last year, I was carrying around my laptop a lot so that I could do work on it, and usually put it in my car at lunch so I didn't have to carry it. Since the class I will need work done in is my last one this year, I won't be carrying around my laptop. So why use a crappy 3G signal when I can get a great 4G signal (when they set up 4G here) and be faster. So what I was wondering is how I can hook up the phone to a projector that doesn't have HDMI. I know some of my teachers have nice projectors with HDMI slots, but not all, so I would like to be able to hook my phone up instead of lugging around my laptop. I think the connection would be VGA or the old school yellow AVI connection. Do they make those sort of things to plug into the phone? I know they do for iPhones, so it would come as a surprise to me that Apple has something that Android doesn't do.

I assume if you can get a mini HDMI to 'standard' HDMI cable adapter... and then purchase this, you could do it:
Cable:
For only $1.90 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 3ft 30AWG High Speed Mini-HDMI (Type C) to HDMI (Type A) Cable - Black | Mini-HDMI to HDMI Cables

Adapter:
HP HDMI to VGA Display Adapter | HP? Official Store

Brian

EDIT: Note, the HP customer review has some more info thats interesting. Probably wont work:
Does not work with all Tablets
July 27, 2011
I tested this product with Smartphones and Tablets that has a Micro HDMI port that I wish to convert to use with a VGA Projector. Only the RIM Playbook would work. All three of the Smartphones and two other tablets did not work.
Here is a modification I found on the web to booast power output to make it work, but I did not want to go this route:
Hacked into device. Supplied external power for the converter circuit. Problem solved.
>
> For anyone interested, this is what you do:
>
> The two halves can be pried apart without damage to the plastic.
>
> The power is an orange wire. The ground is obvious... two wires coming from the cable shielding connected to the opposite side of the board.
>
> Clip the orange wire to disconnect power from the XOOM (you don't want to backfeed and harm your tablet).
>
> Connect the orange wire to your new positive voltage (5V, by the way). Connect the ground of you new supply to the ground of the board.
>
> I used a portable USB power supply. Grabbed an unused USB cable and cut off the end. There are only four wires and a shield. The red is power, the black is ground. If the colors are different, buzz out the lines (Look up the connector specs on the web).
>
> Then I drilled a hole next to the existing cable, being careful not to damage the locking tabs of the case. Used a drill bit the same diameter as the USB cable. Put some heat shrink tubing on the cable as a strain relief. Snapped the halves back closed.
>
> It looks like it was made that way. ;-)

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Hmm didn't think about HDMI to VGA. That adapter is expensive as hell though lol, I'll look somewhere else for one. Thanks though, that should work. Just need an Auxiliary cable into my headphone jack and I can stop lugging around my laptop!

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
Wait.. does the Bionic (and other phones) have Micro-HDMI or Mini-HDMI? And huh? $40 is expensive for something unique like that? lol Doh.. wait.. you're a student on student budget :) Nevermind

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Wait.. does the Bionic (and other phones) have Micro-HDMI or Mini-HDMI? And huh? $40 is expensive for something unique like that? lol Doh.. wait.. you're a student on student budget :) Nevermind

I can probably find some way to do it, like maybe the mini to A, then male to female, then an HDMI to VGA. Cost me like $15 instead of $40 lol.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
I can probably find some way to do it, like maybe the mini to A, then male to female, then an HDMI to VGA. Cost me like $15 instead of $40 lol.

Not so. You can't go from a digital signal (HDMI/DVI) to an analog (VGA) signal without a converter. Thats what that $40 HP adapter does. Just getting the cables to match up wont do it. You can buy mini-HDMI to VGA cables but they wont work, in fact i'm not even sure why they exist.

Brian

EDIT: There are some circumstances where this will work, but it has to be a specific type of DVI port that allows the DVI to VGA adapter to work. HDMI i'm pretty sure will not work without a converter 'box'

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Not so. You can't go from a digital signal (HDMI/DVI) to an analog (VGA) signal without a converter. Thats what that $40 HP adapter does. Just getting the cables to match up wont do it. You can buy mini-HDMI to VGA cables but they wont work, in fact i'm not even sure why they exist.

Brian

EDIT: There are some circumstances where this will work, but it has to be a specific type of DVI port that allows the DVI to VGA adapter to work. HDMI i'm pretty sure will not work without a converter 'box'

Damn didn't think about that lol. But your post basically told me that I had to modify the cable if I wanted it to work. Why would they not think of this? lol. My teachers hook up iPads to projectors all the time, but of course it uses up the charging port so it's really useless unless you charge it all day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699