Multiple Bionics "crackle, popping noise in media"

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
A coworker and I each bought a Bionic yesterday, and each of ours has a crackle and pop noise coming from the speaker while playing certain types of audio. It is especially bad on netflix videos, and does it from earbuds as well as the speaker.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Reactions: BBBay

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
Yep, mine does it too in Netflix. I just started a thread about it in this forum. Also, just found this in the D3 forum..

http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-3/106904-netflix-audio-clicking.html

Well that was definitely interesting. I click the link on my bionic that you posted above and my phone while loading the page decided to do a soft reset. It's locked up and was unresponsive and 15 seconds later it was rebooting. Maybe they don't want us discussing the issues :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

GTS21

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't seem to just be netflix though. Pandora does it as well...just not as easy to reproduce.

I haven't heard it during the few times i've used Pandora, could be intermittent. Seems to happen all the time on Netflix though.

debonu

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I tested this issue using my Bionic and I definitely hear the crackle while using headphones. I did not hear it while listening over the speaker.

I seriously hope this can be addressed in a software update!

-D

koei

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
This I am having the same issue via the 3.5mm jack. I tried 3 different headphones, and all 3 has the same audible "buzz" at the start/stop the use of the sound.

ljpaque

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I noticed the crackling in my speakers but it only when LTE is in use. I switched it to CDMA only and haven't had any issues.
Obviously not a solution but narrows down the problem, at least for me.
Larry

rgarling

Apr 12, 2010
www.twitter.com
I hear the whine when I'm using Pandora, not the clicking. I definitely hear the clicking in Netflix, especially when the characters are speaking.

I'll try turning of LTE or use WiFi.

slvrdrgn123

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a software issue because it only happens in netflix for me. If I stream something through zumocast or play off the SD card, I don't hear any popping.

jlukes

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I had some crackling listening to siriusxm this morning in my car through blutooth. I actually shut the app, restarted it, and the crackling went a way.

Sounds like a software issue to me

CSM-101

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I noticed the crackling in my speakers but it only when LTE is in use. I switched it to CDMA only and haven't had any issues.
Obviously not a solution but narrows down the problem, at least for me.
Larry

I noticed this too. I have yet to use headphones so I can't say anything about that. but I do dock my phone on a Sony radio by using the an audio cable from the headphone jack to the audio in port of the radio. When it switches from 3g to 4g it buzz's and crackles. If I move the phone away from the radio it goes away. I'm convinced there's an interferance between the LTE and the radio. Small price to pay for 4g speeds.

carlmar

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problems. I found that if you disable the audio effects in settings that the hiss is less prominent. It doesn't eliminate it however and is still noticeable at low volume levels when playing music. It is a software issue and i would guess that motorola is working on it.

torand

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Happens to me too. Haven't tested everything, I just noticed it when plugging it into my car stereo, and tried replacing the cable, but it didn't help. I might try out forcing 3g to see if that helps, but it is really annoying as is because my phone has been my primary source of music in my car for a long time, and that noise is obnoxious on any song that isn't loud the whole time.

dylanesque

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
My Bionic makes this popping, crackling noise as well. I listen to earphones at work, and when a song crosses a certain threshold (not high) of volume, I hear random clicks and pops of static. I already purchased a volume attenuator to reduce the high-pitch whine, and now this! I'm hoping someone at Android/Motorola is reading these, and is looking specifically at the pop/crackle as opposed to the high-pitch whine. A fix is in the works for November, but will it take care of both audio issues?

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have this problem as well. Sometimes it does it with my ringtones too. I thought my speaker went out until i restarted the phone and all was well again. ( I don't really watch videos or anything on it to reproduce the issue so i'm sure it will still do it).

uiil

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this is the same thing but:

Occasionally, I hear what sounds like the audio "system" disengaging 1 to 3 seconds after an audio file stops playing. Kind of going from a very low level hum to actually off.

Kind of spooky, sounds a little like an old vacuum tube type amp.

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeh that's another issue that seems to only happen with wired headphones. Motorola has claimed it will be fixed in the next OTA update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress