ICS Leak Confusion

andthenwhat55

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Like everybody else, I'm getting sick of waiting for this OTA update to ICS. I've been running stock since release day, so I've been patient, but I don't want to wait another 2 or 3 weeks anymore. I've been researching how to install the .232 leak and what to do to get back to the OTA path when the update finally gets pushed. I like that HoB lets you keep your data, but I think I would rather go with the XDA developers method here: [GUIDE] Easiest Step-By-Step Tutorial For Upgrading Your Bionic To ICS - xda-developers. However, I'm confused by what everybody means when they say "data". I don't mind having to re-install apps and losing app data, but will I lose my contacts, text message history, and music/pictures/video as well? If so, is there a way to easily back that data up and recover it once I'm up and running on ICS? And how will I FXZ back to .905 when the time comes to get the OTA update? Sorry guys, I've been trying to read through the forum, but I'm new to this and kind of confused.

leever6000

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I used both, the Guide to go to 232, and then HOB to go from 232 to 246.

The HOB option is actually easier, and gives you the option to go back and forth from 232 to the FXZ .905 with the app. It will also root your phone once on ICS.

Once you go past 232 you cannot go back to the FXZ .905, but if the OTA turns out to by 246, I will not need to go back to .905 to get the OTA, as I will already be on it.

SamuriHL's support is also very good from what I've seen on the HOB, but if you follow the directions, you won't need it.

andthenwhat55

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, I just went for it and used the XDA guide to get to .232 and I'm loving it so far. I didn't lose any data whatsoever, so I'm pretty happy about that. I assume that if I don't use HoB to go back to .905 when the OTA hits, I'll lose my settings and personal data, though?

I know it's a total gimmick but I love the face unlock feature. I haven't tried asking anybody to try unlocking it yet, so I'm not sure how well it works, but does anybody have any input on how well face unlock works?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Face unlock works as long as you have good lighting, which I often don't. If it can't unlock, I think it uses password protection as a fail safe backup. So I just use a password from the get go anyway.

nopolis

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I too got tired of waiting on the update and followed Samurai's software and instructions. Love this. Big thanks to Samurai!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums