Why is there so many different instructions to root/rom/etc charg

wetwaterdog

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Trying to figure out EXACTLY how or what I need to do to root my charge...and then the confusion starts.

Considering Gummy charged .

Instructions say " make sure you are rooted and have clockwork installed"

Instructions from so many are to say the least very confusing....

From what I can determine:
1) install drivers
2) download odin, gummy charged and charge_cwm-recovery.
3)Then follow instructions per gummy charged posts..

So what happened to the root kernel....do I need that as well BEFORE I install cwr?

Can I just follow the instructions given in posting for "altered beast" but substitute gummy charged instead.

Thanks....

wetwaterdog

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Why is there so many different instructions to root/rom/etc c

Yes, coming straight from stock EE4.

So ....it looks like I need to load a "kernel" Any suggestions?

Before I continue on to the "optional" rom.

Based on the post, the kernel must actually do the "root". from there, you can either do your own thing, leave all as is, or install a rom of your liking. Is that correct.

Thanks Again.

Anderain

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

The ROM is 100% optional. I used a custom ROM because my main reason for rooting was to get rid of all the bloatware, and most custom ROMs do that.

vols fan

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

you are correct that you need the kernel to obtain root. I used PBJT with voodoo lagfix. Im going to install GC with the gummy beast theme later tonight.

wetwaterdog

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

Went ahead and did the root. Got the blue bananna....ended up having to hit the power button to get the phone to show the select file menu. installed PBJT and lagfix. all went well....phone rebooted....

BUT.....everything looks the same. How do I even know if the phone is rooted? I went into apps and tried to uninstall the Blockbuster....but it is greyed out.

So .....what is the purpose of this root....and kernel install...unless it is to then choose a rom to install that has all the bloatware removed.

It seems that I can not from the phone delete apps...my guess is I must remove them using adb. is that correct? or as I said...just install a rom of my choosing.

desertdog

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

Is there away to root phone and stay with basic stock? The reason I ask is that I'm coming from the Fascinate and I was able to just root it and use Ti to uninstall the aps. that I didn't want.

vols fan

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

All you have to do is install a rooted kernel and you can install Ti and you can delete what ever you want to, just like the Fascinate.

vols fan

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

the easiest way to know if your rooted is to run terminal emulator and look for ext4 in the system line. If you have that then you are rooted. Did you install Titanium Backup?

wetwaterdog

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

I have not installed TI yet. But I am sure I got rooted. I went ahead and loaded gummycharged1.8.5. and all is well except with the "my verizon" app. I am getting the error code 305, please download the login in client. I know I read something about that...so I will look.

vols fan

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

Well if you already wiped your phone to install GC you don't really need Ti cause it is to backup your data pre-ROM. Then again you can use it to delete other programs you don't use. I'm glad GC worked for you cause everytime I try and load it I get a soft brick. Did you clear everything or just do the wipe phone/factory reset? Did you have to disable lagfix?

wetwaterdog

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

I did not disable lagfix.

After the kernel install I did a wipe all data, full reset, etc. Cleared the cache as well. Then just loaded the ROM. It took awhile...but it worked great. No issues other than myverizon error 305 so far, but I am working on that now. I might even try one of the Gingerbread roms...

As far as backups....at this point, for me, it's not necessary. Most of my apps reinstalled via the market automatically. I did have verizon's backup working but not sure if that did anything. My main concern was my contacts...and that was all sync'd via Google...so no issue there.

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

Well if you already wiped your phone to install GC you don't really need Ti cause it is to backup your data pre-ROM. Then again you can use it to delete other programs you don't use. I'm glad GC worked for you cause everytime I try and load it I get a soft brick. Did you clear everything or just do the wipe phone/factory reset? Did you have to disable lagfix?

One time I made the mistake of flashing both the kernel and GC without rebooting in between flashes which causes a bootloop, so make sure you are not doing that.

testt

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

If I install a new ROM, should I backup just my apps or apps and system data?

wetwaterdog

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

One time I made the mistake of flashing both the kernel and GC without rebooting in between flashes which causes a bootloop, so make sure you are not doing that.

Thanks for the info....

I did NOT boot between loads...maybe I just got lucky.