coming to a motorola maxx from a iphone 4s

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I came to the maxx from a iphone S. I basically did it to lock in 4G unlimited in case verizon pulls the same crap as AT&T and decides that they are not going to grandfather 3G unlimited to 4G anymore, which probably will happen.

I just thought I would share my views of the 2 phones so far for anyone considering changing to the maxx from the iphone. And I will answer as many questions as I can and welcome others that made the switch to comment.

First I think that the maxx is a good phone, as with all phones, there is not one that is perfect. The maxx is a lot more customizable then the iphone. And I am talking stock to stock, no rooting or jailbreaking involved. I have jailbreaked my iphone and it does offer more options, but the stock android gives a user a lot more choices compared to a stock iphone, no one can argue that. You can put widgets on the maxx, such as weather widgets, this way you can see the weather on your homescreen without having to open the app, same for other apps. Iphone even jailbroke, IMO widgets was not very good if availbable at all.

Getting ringtones to the maxx is a lot simpler, getting most things to the maxx is a lot simpler. The Iphone makes you sync to Itunes to do such simple tasks.

The battery on the maxx is exceptional, it is the best feature of the phone, you can get thru the day with heavy usage, and more then a day with light usage. I am finding it hard to not reach for the charger. Iphone's battery was decent, but heavy usage would make it hard to get thru day without charging, I bought a mophie juice pack so I could get thru the day.

The Iphone took quicker pictures then the maxx, but so far I think both take about the same quality pictures. The Iphone might take better pictures in darker situations.

The Iphone has a ton of accessories and apps for it. You can go to any store and find accessories for the iphone, not so with the maxx. The Iphone gets app attention before the droids. I know this as the Iphone would get a app and my brother with a droid said it wasnt available for the droid yet, usually a couple months later the droid gets it. You can hardly watch tv commercials without hearing get the app from apple app store. So the Iphone gets app and accessory love before the droids. The droid accessories are usually limited to the carrier for awhile, then ebay and amazon starts showing up with accessories, hard to go to the local store to find a cradle for a droid.

I really like the razr maxx, but there is one thing that really bothers me, and it is a big thing for a cell phone/data phone. Data signal. In weak areas, the droid maxx will have data issues, and even signal issues. So far it has only been happening in weak areas. I have been comparing the droid maxx to the iphone side by side, can not get any more fair then that. Here is what happens in weak areas...the maxx usually loses the data signal all together, while the Iphone holds on to a data signal, all though it is 1X. On the iphone I was able to load up web pages, check weather apps, send picture messages, but of course could not stream music or watch youtube/netflix, and loading web pages were slower being it was on 1X, the Maxx would do nothing as there was no data signal to even attempt it with. I would much rather have slow data then no data.

So that is kind of my write up now, will post more as I think of more. The end result, I do not know if I will keep the razzr or not. The data connection is a big issue. I like the maxx as a phone better, but with the data going away in weak areas, that is a hard pill to swallow.

My advice, if you live in a weak area for signal and want data on the phone to work there, I would suggest staying away from the maxx. I can tell you first hand the Iphone out performs the maxx in data and voice signal. If you live in a area with strong signal and dont get in bad areas very often, I would probably go with the maxx.

Hope this is helpful to some, I hope I didnt make it out to be one or the other is better, they both have their good and bad. Wish we could take the good from both and make a great phone.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I think it may be LTE in general causing issues. I had the G Nex, have the RAZR and Rezound...and ALL 3 did suffer from data, connection issues. I've been saying as of right now find an LTE phone that has the least annoying issues and you will be fine. In my case that was the RAZR.

Liked the OP, nice and fair comparison. Wish I saw more of it when comparing different mobile OS's. As far as the RAZR Maxx and iPhone 4S...could you put the Maxx on 3G only and see if that helps? I've read it does help across the board for most LTE phones on Verizon. Its also surprising to hear a Moto phone having signal strength issues. It happens tho...lol.

Right now LTE network and LTE tech needs to be more mature before we start seeing more stable, reliable service. And the battery life on LTE is always gonna be a battery killer.

Phadunkin

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
this doesn't make my choice any easier.. both sound great except for the constant dependency on apps for iphone and the poor signal for maxx.

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Odd about the "poor signal " comments. I have a few friends with iPhones and I consistently have much better signal. Even in areas that my previous phones would struggle for signal, the Maxx has really impressed me with the signal strength.

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
In our office, in a basement work area with a lot of heavy duty servers surrounding us (don't know if that makes a difference), we have consistently found that Motorola phones get the best reception in the challenging environment.

Management swapped our company phones to Blackberries last year. I have a personal Droid Bionic as well...the Bionic gets calls that the Blackberries all send straight to voicemail. Granted, a Bionic isn't a Razr Maxx - but we've had the best reception with Motorola in general.

olorin

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Android devices typically come with roaming defaulted to off (both data & voice). Did you turn it on? Might find a more acceptable experience, if you do.

socarwolverine

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
this doesn't make my choice any easier.. both sound great except for the constant dependency on apps for iphone and the poor signal for maxx.

Poor signal is not a description you'll often hear about the Maxx. My Maxx has had excellent signal where my incredible would struggle. His case seems unique because the highlight of Moto phones has been their signal strength.

hucworld

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
As a current iPhone 4S user who ordered a MAXX today I am anxious to see how the MAXX stands up. My iPhone seems to have less than stellar reception and as of late the data on it has blown you know what. I am sort of anxious to get this device in my hands.

Phadunkin

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
As a current iPhone 4S user who ordered a MAXX today I am anxious to see how the MAXX stands up. My iPhone seems to have less than stellar reception and as of late the data on it has blown you know what. I am sort of anxious to get this device in my hands.

you better post here what your views on the maxx are when you get it. would love to see which u feel is better.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Android devices typically come with roaming defaulted to off (both data & voice). Did you turn it on? Might find a more acceptable experience, if you do.

The only roaming I found for data was for international roaming which is turned off. I assume that is suppose to be off unless leaving the country.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site

I, too, have an iPhone 4S on VZW, and data speeds have been atrocious lately - much slower than other 3G devices I've used in the past. I'm due for an upgrade next Tuesday, and will be getting the MAXX. I'd love to hear what you have to say about the MAXX after you've used it for a little while. Let us know what you think of 3G data speeds, if you don't mind. Thanks!

Phadunkin

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I, too, have an iPhone 4S on VZW, and data speeds have been atrocious lately - much slower than other 3G devices I've used in the past. I'm due for an upgrade next Tuesday, and will be getting the MAXX. I'd love to hear what you have to say about the MAXX after you've used it for a little while. Let us know what you think of 3G data speeds, if you don't mind. Thanks!

the 4S is still a fairly new device. You don't want to save the upgrade for the later months?

hucworld

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok so after a few hours of using the MAXX I have to say that I am in love with this device. I was kind of skeptical being that I was or am a devoted Apple user. Having an iPhone 4S, iPad 2, MacBook Pro and Apple TV just in my eyes made life easier. Anyway, I have been using this device for going on five hours now. Granted the battery is not completely charged I have noticed that this beauty hold battery like a champ. I took it the gym today and streamed one of the local sports stations from the radio.com app. I want to say I put in about two hours or close to it in the gym all while streaming, texting, downloading apps, a little web browsing and a phone call. When I received the phone it was 50% charged. On that 50% I drove to my local Verizon store and swapped out my Otterbox Defender that I had for my 4S and bought a gel skin and screen protector. Now I am back home and after all of that phone is at 40%. I have noticed that it takes a while to charge and I was told that by a few friends going into the phone. The display is amazing the camera is nothing short of pretty damn good. I read and heard a lot of whining and moaning about how the camera was not as good as the 4S but I beg to differ. The processor on this beauty is amazing as well. I have not had any loss or dropped 4G signal issues...yet(knocks on wood). I'm blown away at how fast the 4G is on this device. I went to Google Play while I was working out and downloading like 17 apps in like less than a two minutes or less. I think I have found a device that is after my own heart. I am sure that there are more test that I will run on it in the coming days, but for those of you that are on the fence as to whether or not to keep your 4S or leap into the MAXX, I say go for it! You will not be let down, you will not be disappointed nor will you regret it. If anything changes I will be back in here with more updates.

Reactions: djrakowski

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Awesome, man! Nice to see that an Apple devotee can appreciate the merits of a great device like the Maxx, considering how polarized the tech world has become. Seriously, some of the arguments between Apple and Android fans make Democrat-Republican debates seem tame!

Reactions: jroc

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
the 4S is still a fairly new device. You don't want to save the upgrade for the later months?
It got wet a few weeks ago and has been acting strangely ever since. I wanted to save my upgrade 'til the fall, but I need something right away, and would prefer something other than the iPhone.

hucworld

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Awesome, man! Nice to see that an Apple devotee can appreciate the merits of a great device like the Maxx, considering how polarized the tech world has become. Seriously, some of the arguments between Apple and Android fans make Democrat-Republican debates seem tame!

Quite possibly the truest statement I may have ever heard. I am still loving this device as I type.