razr maxx unlimited data wifi hotspot

sy1437

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Looking to purchase a razr max and was wondering if i would be able to use foxfi or pdanet to use the wifi hotspot with having to pay the $30 a month to verizon.

Thanks

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So you are paying the additional tether fee then or are you paying 30 for the unlimited only?

Posted via Android Central App

sy1437

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
No i have unlimited data right now on my old incredible. I am looking to purchase a maxx (outside of contact to retain the unlimited data) and was wondering would i be able to run foxfi and use the wifi hotspot with out having to pay the $30 fee per month.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
OK... Here is the technical answer then the real answer.

Technical answer:
When your on the unlimited plan it does not include tethering. You cab pay like 20 extra a month and get it but it is not unlimited.

Real answer:
Yes as mentioned above by the other guy but if caught you may see the teether charge show up.

I rooted my maxx and use Wi-Fi teether. I haven't seen a charge as of yet but could always be possible. I don't believe root is required for foxfi or PDA net.

Posted via Android Central App

durango992007

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
No, root is not required for foxfi or pdanet. However, if you want to be able to use it all the time, you would need to purchase one or the other.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using AC Forums mobile app

sy1437

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I have no problem purchasing foxfi or pdanet just was wondering if it would work with the unlimited data plan without having to purchase the share/or monthly plan.

Thanks

speedfreek64

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a Razr Maxx and have a grandfathered unlimited data plan. I use the paid version of Foxfi with no extra data charges. Only catch is with jelly bean, Foxfi makes you install a security certificate that requires a pattern or code for the lock screen. I figure it a small inconvenience to easily use my Maxx as a hotspot.

OwlDroid

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I am running an grandfathered in unlimited data plan and using the mobile hotspot on my Droid Razr Maxx for internet and streaming video.
I had to install an antenna to boost the 4G LTE signal as I in the boonies - nearest tower is 1.5 miles away & have some trees around.
This gives me ~80dBm signal strength ( sometimes better (-71) and sometimes worse (-85) ). I have used the test mode on the phone and the "Open Signal App" to measure data rates of between 0.3-2.5mbps "down" and 1-8mbps "Up" BUT is seems to be independent of the signal strength ( more or less - not consistent anyway). The video streaming to my Smart TV stops and starts - and is a general pain as I have to wait minutes sometimes for it to come back IF it comes back.
Questions:
1) What other factors do I need to look at ?
2) Would Foxfi or something else help ?

c_elliott83

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Personally I don't think foxfi is going to help out, since it is still using the same signal.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays