Let friend mess with epic, now lost

escapingfate88

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello helpful mates of Android central!

My problems comes with this.

I let my buddy "Root" my phone, He installed Z4 root and i now have the SuperUser App and thats about it.. I have been reading trying to figure out my next move, but since I didnt start the process im a bit lost as to what to do next. I have monkeyed around a bit and did the 3 button boot, and i have 3 or 4 options, Reboot, Install from SD, a Wipe all feature, and a clear catche.. But no mention of a Backup/Restore option... What do i do now?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

First of all z4 root is an older outdated process of rooting your device.

If you want to stick with rooting your device I would recommend the following...

1. Go to the thread below and follow the instructions to root your device properly and have ClockWorkMod (CWM) installed. That is why when you do the 3 finger boot you are still getting the stock recovery because z4 root doesn't install CWM which is needed to flash ROMs, themes, kernels etc..

[MOD][One Click Root]ClockworkMod 3.1.0.1[RFS & EXT4] (Credit XDA developers)

2. Also before attempting the root process I would recommend you shop around a bit in this section and see what is available ROM speaking that interests you for features.

3. If you have any problems or questions, please ask before moving onward and getting yourself in a situation. Not to say we can't get you out of a bad spot but getting the proper knowledge and instruction before hand will hopefully save you from troubles.

Here is also a good thread to read through and become more familar with some of the terms and things associated with rooting and running ROMs.

[FAQ] Q & A on Rooting/ROMs/Methods

escapingfate88

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Paul,

I followed the directions and Bingo, Thats exactly the right step i needed to get off the ground.
Thank you VERY! much. Now on to testing a few Roms.

escapingfate88

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
well i managed to upgrade to a rooted Gingerbread EF02, and everything went smoothly. the vids and step by step instructions were spot on. Now that i have done that, will moving around to other roms be as easy as throwing something in Oden?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
well i managed to upgrade to a rooted Gingerbread EF02, and everything went smoothly. the vids and step by step instructions were spot on. Now that i have done that, will moving around to other roms be as easy as throwing something in Oden?
Yes and No.... Most of the time we use CWM (ClockworkMod) to flash our ROMs but in some situations as with GB they used Odin to flash it.

escapingfate88

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Well Ive had luck flashing from an Odin based Gingerbread to RandomMod Final, Which im hoping gives me what im looking for ( a whole workday without scrambling for a charger) I think what my problem is is im in a crappy Reception area pretty much all day. On FT Lewis the reception can be bars outside, but always seems to drop to 1 to 2 and roams randomly, and at home i get nothing.

Is there anything i can do to cut down the power the system uses when it struggles for a strong signal? Is airplaine mode the only fix?

tomy2001

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Well Ive had luck flashing from an Odin based Gingerbread to RandomMod Final, Which im hoping gives me what im looking for ( a whole workday without scrambling for a charger) I think what my problem is is im in a crappy Reception area pretty much all day. On FT Lewis the reception can be bars outside, but always seems to drop to 1 to 2 and roams randomly, and at home i get nothing.

Is there anything i can do to cut down the power the system uses when it struggles for a strong signal? Is airplaine mode the only fix?

I had the same problem before. I bought Roam control from the Market. Now, I keep my phone roaming all the time. Since my phone is not searching for signal, my battery is better now.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem before. I bought Roam control from the Market. Now, I keep my phone roaming all the time. Since my phone is not searching for signal, my battery is better now.

Just a note of caution with using roam control:
As of right now, Sprint still isn't actively charging users for roaming all the time, but after a few months of using more than 50% of your used minutes (if you talk for an hour while roaming, you need to use 61 minutes of non-roaming) they are known for sending a warning/cancellation. If you continue to roam they will void the contract and encourage you to seek service with another company. I've received one a while back and was able to get the airave. I would have switched to Verizon, but their plans were much more for the same features. What can I say, I still like Sprint :)

ControlledChaos

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Just a note of caution with using roam control:
As of right now, Sprint still isn't actively charging users for roaming all the time, but after a few months of using more than 50% of your used minutes (if you talk for an hour while roaming, you need to use 61 minutes of non-roaming) they are known for sending a warning/cancellation. If you continue to roam they will void the contract and encourage you to seek service with another company. I've received one a while back and was able to get the airave. I would have switched to Verizon, but their plans were much more for the same features. What can I say, I still like Sprint :)

It is strange that they would do that for minutes but not data. Because I live in an area with no Sprint service at all, and they know this, so I generally do about 70/30 with my data (70% roaming, 30% on network). Never once got a warning and in fact they signed me up KNOWING that I live in a small town with no Sprint service (only Verizon...yuck). I do work in a Sprint zone (4g..yay!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa