My phone is prompting me to to install an over-the-air update?

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Let me start by saying my Epic 4G does not qualify as stock by any stretch of the imagination (custom rom, custom kernel, overclocked, themed, etc) so I was rather confused when I was prompted that there is an over the air update ready to be installed.

My first thought is that this update is not designed for my phone in its current at all and I should not apply it since it will most likely turn my phone into a very unstable mess or worse. After thinking about it more, I decided to see what other people's thoughts are.

Currently I am running SleeperROM with the included ShadowKernel and I applied the ICS theme.

Should I continue to ignore the messages letting me know there is an update waiting to be installed?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: My phone is prompting me to to install an over-the-air update

Yes and there should be a FOTAkill.apk floating around to flash to stop the OTA from popping up.

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Thanks, I will have to see if I can find that so I don't keep getting the update messages

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Google it... I've seen it listed at XDA and other places...

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site

Still pretty new to manipulating my rooted phone system. Currently rooted and running ERA Legendary RC2.2.

Received Sprint OTA update announcement on phone (which I didn't think should happen). After reading this and other posts, searched for FOTAkill.apk, and found a .ZIP version. I downloaded and tried to apply with CWM4. Seemed to start installing, but later said "Please switch to Edify scripting (updater-script and update-binary) to create working update zip packages. Installation aborted."

I am guessing the .Zip file I am using is faulty, or just won't work with my setup???

Still getting the update announcement. Any suggestions?

Carl

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site

While visiting the ERA Legendary ROM thread on XDA Developers site, I found a post regarding the current OTA update issue. The comment was:

"if you just press install now and let it fail (you will see an exclamation point) andthen pull battery and reboot it won't notify you to update anymore..."

I tried it and it seems to have worked. Back in Legendary and now the Update Android message is "Your system is currently up to date"

I love this stuff. Just wish my brain wasn't so clogged. Thanks to all you clever folks out there!

Carl