Essential Phone 2!

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
OLED does not have to look oversaturated, just that Samsung (and many phone manufacturers that want to copy Samsung) choose to oversaturate the colors. It appears a lot of people actually prefer the oversaturated colors. In contrast, the iPhone X is a good example of an OLED screen that is not oversaturated; Apple tends to do a great job of color accuracy on the screens of their phones. With the nice job Essential did on their initial screen, my hope would be they could do a similar job on an OLED.

Oh, I know they don't need to be oversaturated, most just are.
I think the X is a little, but not horrible.
I've had multiple phones with some OLED variant and it just isn't a deal breaker to get it for me.
The Essential is a great looking screen when you put it next to just about anything.

At this point the Essential is the best phone I've owned.
If they update the processor, screen and can get more battery in the same package, I'm good.
I don't want the form factor to change.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I know they don't need to be oversaturated, most just are.
I think the X is a little, but not horrible.
I've had multiple phones with some OLED variant and it just isn't a deal breaker to get it for me.
The Essential is a great looking screen when you put it next to just about anything.

At this point the Essential is the best phone I've owned.
If they update the processor, screen and can get more battery in the same package, I'm good.
I don't want the form factor to change.
Pretty sure Essential will make sure that it's properly calibrated for accuracy to a specific gamut if they use OLED.

DCI-P3 coverage when it is called, sRGB when not

Guy Katz

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
1. Have a stable firmware with minimal bugs upon release
2. Improve camera software and processing
3. IP68
4.oled display
5.IR blaster wouldn't hurt either

These things would be enough to make me completely satisfied. Keeping the dual camera set up, and maybe take a look a the Huawei p20 and implement a triple camera setup that would put them all to shame.

agree but IR blaster? no for me thank you very much.

oracleoftruth

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I'd like them to keep the same design language that was so well received. The internals are fairly obvious:

SD845
6GB RAM
128GB storage
6inch OLED QHD screen (no notch for me I'm afraid)
Top and bottom speakers
ip68 rating
accessory port identical so the accesssory ecosytem can flourish but maybe two of them for dual accessories?
IR blaster (I can dream)
Full colour range available at launch
fingerprint sensor is also power button (like LG V30 etc)

**Most importantly and in agreement with EVERYONE else, OIS camera. Dual if needed but most importantly just the best camera with OIS they can muster. **

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I'd rather they didn't switch to OLED. I really like the PH-1 screen. No thanks to dual front speakers if they require thicker bezels.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I'd like them to keep the same design language that was so well received. The internals are fairly obvious:

SD845
6GB RAM
128GB storage
6inch OLED QHD screen (no notch for me I'm afraid)
Top and bottom speakers
ip68 rating
accessory port identical so the accesssory ecosytem can flourish but maybe two of them for dual accessories?
IR blaster (I can dream)
Full colour range available at launch
fingerprint sensor is also power button (like LG V30 etc)

**Most importantly and in agreement with EVERYONE else, OIS camera. Dual if needed but most importantly just the best camera with OIS they can muster. **

No IR blaster necessary. Extra room for a limited specialized feature.
No change in screen size.
Let's keep it the same.
256GB though

oracleoftruth

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I think they could push the bottom bezel a bit and squeeze 6 inch screen in without it being overly big. 2:1 ratio?
IR takes up negligible room but I know it's a niche demand.
256gb...sure.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Yeah that vibration motor was harsh. I quickly disabled vibration feedback across the board, something I rarely do on a phone.

How the heck do you turn it off?! I cannot find out how.

As for Essential 2...

1. I do not care about OLED. I just want the screen to be brighter.

2. Water resistance at some basic level. It doesn't need to be a phone we can take under water to record or use. But if I happened to drop it in the toilet, I would like to be able to quickly grab it and wash it off. :p

3. BETTER CAMERA! Just go to a single camera and make it awesome. Duel cameras are a gimmick anyway.

4. No more touch screen issues.

5. Make the screen 100% flat with no curves at the edge so we can finally have decent tempered glass screen protectors that don't suck.

6. Improved battery performance.

7. OCEAN DEPTHS color from launch date!

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
How the heck do you turn it off?! I cannot find out how.

Hmmm well, it's been over a month since I had one, and I either had to individually turn it off for every app, or there was a global setting somewhere. If it isn't in the settings, it might have been in developer options.

papabradley

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Android Authority had a video posted on Facebook today about upcoming and exciting phones of 2018 - and the next phone from Essential was on the list! According to the video, the phone may be getting a reconstruction to make it "able to compete" with smartphones in 2018.

What do you all hope for in the next Essential Phone? I'm super excited to see what Essential does next!

1. Offer replacement screens! Cracked screens are unfortunately going to happen. I am baffled that China has not reverse-engineered a screen. I am sure that Essential does this for a reason but I can't for the life of me figure that one out. They are going to fall off of the map if their phones can't be repaired. BIG MISTAKE OR OVERSIGHT? Recess the screen or make it shatterproof otherwise.

2. Either add more accessories for the magnetic attachment ports or get rid of the technology altogether. A 360° camera isn't on everyone's gadget list. Another thing that baffles me is why there are no third-party attachments. I'm starting to think that Essential has some special patent protection that Samsung or Apple can't even acquire.

3. Ditto: wireless charging

4. Ditto: waterproofing

5. OLED screen

6. Move the power button away from the volume rocker or vice versa.

I'm willing to overlook everything except for #1 . This phone is almost too beautiful to hide with a case, so I use a clear case almost all the time. I removed the case to attach the 360 camera and it slipped out of my hand. Cracked screen. I rarely buy new devices because used ones are normally easily repaired. Oddly, I will probably buy this phone again after I ship it in for my claim. It's that raw!

papabradley

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh no! Wait! Amazon just raised the price by $50! I swear I was just going to Amazon to purchase another one. Halo Gray! Now not so exclusively Amazon. Not too common you see a phone price increase! Maybe later, Essential

Update: now it's back to $450 this morning! Weird!

Last edited:

papabradley

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
In response to a previous post about performance/stability issues: I did a restore to my Essential from a Motorola Turbo 2 backup and the performance SUCKED! I factory reset, then set up as new and the phone ran like a top! Seriously!

Last edited:

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
1. Offer replacement screens! Cracked screens are unfortunately going to happen. I am baffled that China has not reverse-engineered a screen. I am sure that Essential does this for a reason but I can't for the life of me figure that one out. They are going to fall off of the map if their phones can't be repaired. BIG MISTAKE OR OVERSIGHT? Recess the screen or make it shatterproof otherwise.

This.

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
This phone be is so beautiful but I just can’t deal without a case. I’m pretty good about never dropping it but once in a rare while it happens. An understated bumper case would be ideal.

anon(10268214)

Oct 20, 2017
Visit site
This phone be is so beautiful but I just can’t deal without a case. I’m pretty good about never dropping it but once in a rare while it happens. An understated bumper case would be ideal.
The 'Viva Madrid' case is very thin and unobtrusive. I could do without the chrome border myself, but you get used to it. Too bad...the Black Moon is quite slippery especially with dry hands in the cold Canadian winter, but that's the only colour officially available here...

Guy Katz

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
on second though, just have a camera that is good. I can deal with all the rest. current camera is garbage.
also, the vivo apex concept phone is looking awesome - I would copy stuff from that one.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
on second though, just have a camera that is good. I can deal with all the rest. current camera is garbage.
also, the vivo apex concept phone is looking awesome - I would copy stuff from that one.

When you say current camera is garbage, do you mean relative to other flagship phones or relative to all phones?

Guy Katz

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
When you say current camera is garbage, do you mean relative to other flagship phones or relative to all phones?

when I say garbage I mean almost unusable unless in a specific light, in a specific angle with not zoom at all and even then its mediocre.
I assume its below all mid rangers out there and probably up to par with the low end of the spectrum only. anyone who says differently does not know what they are talking about...
sorry but I have to be honest here
and like I said on a different thread. I take my girl friend's iphone when I want to take pictures that matter to me (kids, etc) because the essential phone's camera EVEN after all the update is complete $hit
on a side note, my 2 year old nexus 6P's camera is leaps and bound above the essential's camera. leaps and bounds!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa