Charging the Evo ?

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
+1...

If the BB charger supplies more power than specified, you run the risk of blowing out your charging port / battery. It's happened... rare, but not something I'd play around with. I tend to stick to OEM or Seidio (since they stay within manufacturer's recommendations).

RedWings

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I thought that mobile devices were all going toward a standard charging port? Which was decided to be the micro-usb.

I don't think it would be a problem at all. I plan on using my BB charger for the EVO.

flyawaymike

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Jeremy has the right answer, but (assuming it's the same micro USB plug) check the output voltage/amps on the charger that comes with the EVO - if it's less than or equal to your BB charger, you should be good to go...

MisterEd

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The phone only draws the amount of current it needs. The CURRENT RATING of the charger doesn't matter. If it's too LOW it will charge slowly, if it's too high it will only take what it needs. Most cell phone chargers max out at 1AMP, usually less. The Blackberry (or any other cell charger) will be fine. I've used "universal USB chargers" and AC adapters rated as high as 2 amps on a phone that came with a 500ma charger for years.

atomicdog21

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
User beware I guess. You'll probably be fine using another charger of course, but given the work of art you're using it on, why risk it? It's like using dishsoap on the statue of David lol.

As a side note, I think there were issues with Blackberries theat the phones could get toasted if you used non BB or strangely enough, Moto chargers. Anyone else remember this?

rfs830

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
most charger are all made by the same company that gets them from china. Its just about all the same. You can go into the pre central forum and pick up a oem sprint charger shipped for 10 bucks. That charger works on every sprint phone that has a micro usb port on it. The blackberry charger should work just fine.

scaryhumor

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Micro USB is 5 vdc, but you have to watch the current (amps). Palm Pre has a full amp. I'd be surprised if the EVO isn't the same.

flyawaymike

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
The phone only draws the amount of current it needs. The CURRENT RATING of the charger doesn't matter. If it's too LOW it will charge slowly, if it's too high it will only take what it needs. Most cell phone chargers max out at 1AMP, usually less. The Blackberry (or any other cell charger) will be fine. I've used "universal USB chargers" and AC adapters rated as high as 2 amps on a phone that came with a 500ma charger for years.

not exactly; the phone doesn't just take what it needs. Electricity flows as it will, going to the least resistant path to ground. If the water dam can't stop the overwhelming force of a flood, it destroys the community.

If I plugged the USB cable directly to an outlet (let's just say it's also DC for the sake of the point), the little resistors on the phone aren't going to stop the potential force of 120 volts and or the current flow of 15-20 amps.

Now granted, you're not going to experience that potential force or amp draw... you shouldn't get anything higher than the 4.5 or whatever volts the USB standard provides... but if you charged the battery too fast (higher current flow), you could overheat and destroy it (potentially with an explosion too).

Regardless, any legitimate aftermarket charger (or OEM one from BB), is pretty unlikely to cause any problems, and will work exactly as it it should. HOWEVER, only the actual OEM charger is guaranteed not to fry your phone... under it's warranty period, that is. heh.

flyawaymike

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Micro USB is 5 vdc, but you have to watch the current (amps). Palm Pre has a full amp. I'd be surprised if the EVO isn't the same.

This is a good point too, the EVO is a pretty big sucker... faster processor... larger screen... I'd be willing to bet it takes a stronger charge too.

The iPad is a good example of that, it needs a lot more juice out of the USB port... limiting what it can charge from.