Why is mms over WiFi only not working?

Oct 26, 2020
Visit site
I spent 30 minutes with Xfinity tech support and they said for my Samsung S9 Plus, with recent Android updates, I must use mobile data to send mms now. It has not been working over WiFi for a few weeks. Why would Android or possibly Samsung force this? It was fine before. I always have mobile data off to save on bills. This makes zero sense to me. Is there any work around?

Oct 26, 2020
Visit site
The WiFi itself is fine. I previously did the reboot and the network reset and still no change. I can get an mms pic through my WiFi from an iphone user but can't send one to them through that same WiFi. I can't send or receive one from the Android user sitting right next to me unless I turn on mobile data. This really sucks. Internet on the phone works just fine.

Oct 26, 2020
Visit site
Hi - yes I am using the standard Samsung message app. It does have information about a chat feature that I don't use. I accepted terms and conditions there to see if it would help, but it does not. From looking around this may be a Samsung / Android 10 issue. Xfinity tech support said this was part of Android 10 that now requires mms to have mobile data turned on to use it. That would not make sense if I have WiFi connection, in my opinion. Literally the purpose of WiFi is to carry data. I'm wondering if this is part of Xfinity pushing me to use mobile data, which is the only thing they actually charge for with their service.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi - yes I am using the standard Samsung message app. It does have information about a chat feature that I don't use. I accepted terms and conditions there to see if it would help, but it does not. From looking around this may be a Samsung / Android 10 issue. Xfinity tech support said this was part of Android 10 that now requires mms to have mobile data turned on to use it. That would not make sense if I have WiFi connection, in my opinion. Literally the purpose of WiFi is to carry data. I'm wondering if this is part of Xfinity pushing me to use mobile data, which is the only thing they actually charge for with their service.
That is true mms uses data to do picture messages, try Google message app as that can do through wifi .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Otherwise reset the Samsung message app by long pressing it then tap app info >storage >clear data and force stop it .

Oct 26, 2020
Visit site
Okay thanks. I am worried about losing messages from a friend who passed away. I'll try the Google message app first. Thank you for your replies by the way. Very appreciated!

Oct 26, 2020
Visit site
FYI - Google message app will also not send a pic by text over WiFi only. I'm just calling time of death on my ability to do this. I'll go back to sending pics by email LOL. Thanks for all your help!

Oct 26, 2020
Visit site
and then it stopped :( . I gave in and turned on mobile data. Hopefully this is a kink in the Android push or Samsung software that will be resolved soon. I'll just see how much mobile data it actually uses. For about the past 18 hours I have used 0.02 GB. I set limits on my phones to see when I reach about a half gig.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
and then it stopped :( . I gave in and turned on mobile data. Hopefully this is a kink in the Android push or Samsung software that will be resolved soon. I'll just see how much mobile data it actually uses. For about the past 18 hours I have used 0.02 GB. I set limits on my phones to see when I reach about a half gig.
Yeah with mms it needs data , Google messages was supposed to do over Wi-Fi

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
MMS is sent as an SMS message, followed by a file over MMS. The MMS part will work over WiFi, if the data path can be established over mobile data. Sometimes it glitches through, most of the time it doesn't work without mobile data. (That's a future RCS enhancement - WiFi only or even peer-to-peer.)

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
generic MMS requires mobile data. (RCS is supposed to fix this. As soon as the carriers get their acts together....)

Some carriers create their own SMS/MMS app that can do MMS over wifi due to them controlling both the app and the server.

I get around the limitation by going into the Developer Settings menu and turning on the option for "keep mobile data active when wifi is on".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2