If I leave my phone in the car during summer can it reduce/prematurely damage the battery ?

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
So at work were are not allow to have our phones with us, they have to be kept in the car during the shift. So I was researching info about phones batteries and how to get the most out of them recently. So a guy said it's not good for the battery/phone to get hot. What the guy fails to mention in the video, can the phone battery still be damaged even if the phone is off like mine is in the glove box ? I don't even turn it on till it cools down to the touch by the way, cause the phone is really warm/hot to the touch.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If the battery itself gets really hot (even with the phone off), that can definitely damage it or decrease its overall lifespan. If your car is outside during hot months, I would avoid this.

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Yeah the phone is quite warm to the touch, I live in Ohio and in the summer with the windows all closed parked. I was hoping the guy meant it only damages the battery when the phone is on. Thanks

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I would agree on your point about degrading the battery but not the electronics. Think about all the electronics in the dash board like the radio for example.
I have left automotive scanner and multi meter in trunk on 90+ temp which be little more heat in a trunk that ruin the screen is what I meant , but yes extreme heat can damage vehicle dash, seats over period of time . Radios possible display but they can take punishment.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I have left automotive scanner and multi meter in trunk on 90+ temp which be little more heat in a trunk that ruin the screen is what I meant , but yes extreme heat can damage vehicle dash, seats over period of time . Radios possible display but they can take punishment.

My 1980 Ford Futura that I drove from 1987-1991 got a burnt dashboard that turned brown and cracked. LOL

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This article covers various factors in battery life, including how temps affect storage degradation.

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

One thing to note is that both temps AND charge level play a role in the calculations. So if you have no choice but to store the phone in the car, try to do so at a low charge level. Not too low, though, as extreme low charge levels also cause degradation. I would aim for 30-35% storage in heat.

I would also place it low and in the shade, such as under a seat, to keep it in a relatively cooler part of the car with open airflow. Maybe even invest in rain blocking visors so you can keep windows cracked to let some of the hottest air out without risking rain getting in. An exterior car sun shade could be a great option to prevent heat from getting in in the first place (interior shades don't help much as the heat has already penetrated into the interior). If you are contemplating window tinting, look at ceramic, which also blocks a lot of UV rays. I haven't tried it, but I hear a lot of people talking about how much cooler it made their vehicles in the summer.

May be a long shot, but talk to your company and see if they can set up some sort of lock box/storage area for personal electronics? It's not a situation I've had to deal with, but phones are so ubiquitous that I think most places have some sort of protective storage just for this and theft reasons.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
This article covers various factors in battery life, including how temps affect storage degradation.

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

One thing to note is that both temps AND charge level play a role in the calculations. So if you have no choice but to store the phone in the car, try to do so at a low charge level. Not too low, though, as extreme low charge levels also cause degradation. I would aim for 30-35% storage in heat.

I would also place it low and in the shade, such as under a seat, to keep it in a relatively cooler part of the car with open airflow. Maybe even invest in rain blocking visors so you can keep windows cracked to let some of the hottest air out without risking rain getting in. An exterior car sun shade could be a great option to prevent heat from getting in in the first place (interior shades don't help much as the heat has already penetrated into the interior). If you are contemplating window tinting, look at ceramic, which also blocks a lot of UV rays. I haven't tried it, but I hear a lot of people talking about how much cooler it made their vehicles in the summer.

May be a long shot, but talk to your company and see if they can set up some sort of lock box/storage area for personal electronics? It's not a situation I've had to deal with, but phones are so ubiquitous that I think most places have some sort of protective storage just for this and theft reasons.

I have no idea about the window tint you're describing or any window tint. The OP said he's from Ohio, and this is the Ohio law regarding window tint. https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-4513.241

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea about the window tint you're describing or any window tint. The OP said he's from Ohio, and this is the Ohio law regarding window tint. https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-4513.241
From my understanding, ceramic tint is available all the way to clear, giving you the heat blocking benefit without darkening the window. I've known people that got the clear ceramic on their front windshields, and darker on the sides/rear. I'm not suggesting anyone break the law.

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I'll just leave the phone home on my work days, maybe. I just got a new phone and the battery is really great on it. My old phone which wasn't even a year old I think got damaged battery due to this summer that just past. I figure something out. Thanks