Gmail Contacts sync problem

Skallywag

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else encounter an apparent problem syncing their Gmail contacts to their phone?

When I go to Settings>Google, it shows a recent date for Sync Calendar and Sync Gmail, but a week old date for Sync Contacts (date I got the phone and set up Gmail on it). If I push Sync now the Calendar and Gmail syncs refresh and show a current time, but the Sync Contacts seems to work for a few seconds (spinning sync logo) then it stops with the same week old date showing.

Here's the kicker. When I intentionally change one contact on Gmail and then sync the phone, it displays this apparent failure to sync, as it still shows a week old sync date. * BUT * the test change on the one contact I changed on Gmail *DOES* update on the phone even though the settings seem to indicate a failed sync.

Obviously the important thing is the sync seems to work, but I can't help but wonder if it is fully syncing and if so, why it doesn't indicate that under Settings.

This is NOT an issue of creating "phone contacts" vs. "Google contacts," as all my contacts originated on Gmail and so are "Google" contacts.

Any ideas?

lillejord

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Does the sync logo stop and disappear or just seem to pause. I know when do it manually, buy unchecking the item and then rechecking it, the icon will sometimes pause for a while but eventually starts up again.

HughDeLong

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
solved for me

I had this problem. Several things have been suggested. Check if any contacts have birthday filled in without a year... for some reason this seems to cause a failure of the sync.

I then exported all my gmail contacts (on computer) ... then deleted all gmail contacts on my computer. Then synced my Droidx -- and it was successful except no contacts are copied to the computer. So, imported my contacts from the file I had just created and then resynced from the Droidx. This again was successful. Now all is working.

No idea what actually fixed things - I did have a few birthdays without years that I removed.