[SOLVED][Android 4.1][iOS] How Emoji works on Android and iOS

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
(MODS: Please Sticky if possible, Thanks)

There is currently a high level of confusion regarding Emoji on Android. Let's go through some points.

START HERE
-This relates to Android 4.1 and Android 4.2
-On stock keyboards there are easy methods
-Non-stock keyboards require an app such as Multiling Keyboard

STOCK (GOOGLE) Android 4.1 and 4.2
-http://phandroid.com/2012/08/30/tips-tricks-heres-a-quick-list-of-a-few-jelly-bean-emojis/ by Chris Chavez: "Settings > Language & input > Android keyboard (settings) > Add-on dictionaries > Emoji for English words. You may have to go back into Add-on dictionaries, click refresh and install again. From there, whenever you type out one of the keywords listed above in the regular Android keyboard, you should see an auto-complete suggestion for an emoji icon. Good luck!"

NON-STOCK (HTC, Custom ROMs, etc) Android 4.1 and 4.2
-The system should have AndroidEmoji.tff already on it. If it doesn't you can download and install this font (maybe requires root).
-Stock or custom ROMs should have AndroidEmoji.ttf, otherwise request from ROM maker or install yourself.
-Use MultiLing Keyboard. Thus far this app appears best for system-wide keyboard that lets you enter emoji. Please suggest any other apps, some apps like Emoji Keyboard use an older encoding system that appears not to work in Android 4.1
-In MultiLing, press and hold ABC key, then slide to emoji icon. You will get emoji menu. Press and hold on a key to slide the emojis available for that category.
-Enjoy!

----------TEST AREA----------
The following emoji should be visible on Safari Mac, Android 4.1 and Android 4.2, iOS. In some cases, NOT ALL Emoji might be seen, but as of AndroidEmoji.ttf in Android 4.1 there are a lot of Emojis built-in.
⚽⛄⛄⛄🔐 🔑 🔒 🔓 🔔 🔕 🔖 🔗 🔘 🔙 🔚 🔛 🔜 🔝 🔞 🔟

----------CATCHES-----------
Some apps and some web pages, when Quoting or Replying, etc. to messages, you might lose the emojis. This is because the app or web form (eg. Android Central Forums) may not have implemented the Unicode 6 system so some emojis are "lost in translation".

----------FEEDBACK----------
Please provide questions, ideas, suggestions here. Please include screenshots, hardware used, software version, ROM, etc.

----------PROOF--------------
The following proves easy sending between HTC One X Android 4.1 (TrickDroid ROM) and iPhone 4 iOS 5 (stock) ... This is using stock messages apps on both phones.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-04-13-28-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-04-13-28-59.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: [EXPLANATION][Android 4.1][iOS] How Emoji works on Android and iOS

------WHAT EMOJI IS SUPPORTED?-------

Go to Emoji - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia on Android 4.1, 4.2, Stock, Non-Stock, Safari Mac, iOS, etc.

It lays out what Emoji you should (and won't) be able to see.

Attached is mine (HTC One X Android 4.1 (TrickDroid ROM)).

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-04-13-45-26.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-04-13-45-26.png
    345.9 KB · Views: 431
  • Screenshot_2013-01-04-13-45-42.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-04-13-45-42.png
    238.7 KB · Views: 282
  • Screenshot_2013-01-04-13-45-56.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-04-13-45-56.png
    253.6 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Note that on XDA there is a way to get a different emoji set, in this case Microsoft's Segoe UI Symbol.

You will notice some differences like somewhat bigger, clearer emoji characters as well as more emoji characters.

So far, there appears to be only two widely available emoji fonts which are non-Apple. This is AndroidEmoji.ttf and Segoe UI Symbol, recently updated by Microsoft to include emoji as below.

At this stage, there appears to be NO WAY to get the nice "picture" emoji like Apple because Apple apparently uses custom/proprietary extensions to the TTF file. You see these "picture" emoji in WhatsApp, etc. on Android because the app detects and replaces the unicode TTF characters with suitable images. It is apparently NOT in the TTF file itself, because TTF does not support colour or images at this stage.

Microsoft's emoji font is shown below for illustration purposes only because I believe this method to be illegally pirating a Windows font.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-04-14-15-51.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-04-14-15-51.png
    286.3 KB · Views: 224

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

So my question is, my Nexus 4 can see emoji in other apps besides messaging (although in black and white). This was the case when I flashed 4.1 on my GS2, and its the case now on stock 4.2 for my N4. My question is, can GS3 owners or One X, S owners who have stock versions of 4.1 installed (Sense 4.1, Touchwiz 4.1) see emoji in other apps besides the messaging app? If so can you let me know how to get this to work? Because my brother came over from an iPhone after dumping android for about a year. He really didn't mind what phone he got just one thats not too big, takes great pictures, and would get 4.1 eventually on stock so he could send emoji again (doesn't want to root or anything). So now he has the One S because we're on the T-Mobile family plan. Loves the phone and pictures it takes, he still misses emoji though. When the One S gets 4.1 I just want to know if emoji will appear in other apps like Twitter and Instagram now. On my buddies GS3 that got the Tmobile 4.1 update about a month ago, I still couldn't see it from his phone so im wondering if this is only possible on stock Android. Thanks.

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
So my question is, my Nexus 4 can see emoji in other apps besides messaging (although in black and white). This was the case when I flashed 4.1 on my GS2, and its the case now on stock 4.2 for my N4. My question is, can GS3 owners or One X, S owners who have stock versions of 4.1 installed (Sense 4.1, Touchwiz 4.1) see emoji in other apps besides the messaging app? If so can you let me know how to get this to work? Because my brother came over from an iPhone after dumping android for about a year. He really didn't mind what phone he got just one thats not too big, takes great pictures, and would get 4.1 eventually on stock so he could send emoji again (doesn't want to root or anything). So now he has the One S because we're on the T-Mobile family plan. Loves the phone and pictures it takes, he still misses emoji though. When the One S gets 4.1 I just want to know if emoji will appear in other apps like Twitter and Instagram now. On my buddies GS3 that got the Tmobile 4.1 update about a month ago, I still couldn't see it from his phone so im wondering if this is only possible on stock Android. Thanks.

From my understanding, it appears anyone on 4.1, stock or not, CAN see emoji sent from someone else, in most apps. This is because 4.1 has this AndroidEmoji.ttf file.

On your friends T-Mobile GS3, try viewing the Wikipedia link above. Do you see emoji?

If you cannot, then it appears that particular ROM, stock Google, stock manufacturer, or custom, whatever it is, may not implement the "usual" 4.1 emoji.

WRITING emoji seems to depend more on stock Google Android having the emoji keyboard as described above. Non-stock-Google needs something like Multiling Keyboard.

So as far as I know, any manufacturer that implements Android 4.1 "properly" should show emoji. That is, you can SEE it. Like I said do check the Wikipedia page on various devices and let me know.

In summary, any 4.1 device like S3, One S, etc should SHOW emoji (like my One X), unless the manufacturer didn't do it "properly" for some reason. S3 and One S will need Multiling Keyboard to WRITE emoji because it is not stock Google Android.

I understand it is confusing, I believe I have figured out the theory behind it but need to try out different demo models at the shops in the next few weeks.

I admit we need to check out a variety of manufacturers but from a quick look non-Nexus, non-Google manufacturers do have emoji... People are starting to see it.

I am referring here to system-wide, as you mention. It is only Black & White because standard font files do not have images, it is custom stuff done by iOS and apps like GoSMS.

Thanks for the info and questions, we're starting to get to the bottom of this, seems like people really do like emoji...! 😃

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Thank you that helps a little. Writing emoji is not a problem, there a various keyboards for this that i'm sure should work.

Another quick question, so assuming the manufacture didn't install 4.1 correctly, how could you correct this so you can see the emoji in 4.1 in apps like Twitter WITHOUT root? Like I said it is my friends GS3, haven't seen him today so haven't had a chance to check the wikipedia page you listed from his phone, but assuming he can't how could he? Or should I say...my brothers HTC One S is the main device I want to be able to see emoji from because thats the phone my brother has and he really misses that from his iPhone. Would it be in STOCK Sense 4.1? I know you said you're running a ROM on your One X but I don't know if you're running that based off of the Sense 4.1 and if it would even be in Stock Sense 4.1

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you that helps a little. Writing emoji is not a problem, there a various keyboards for this that i'm sure should work.

Another quick question, so assuming the manufacture didn't install 4.1 correctly, how could you correct this so you can see the emoji in 4.1 in apps like Twitter WITHOUT root? Like I said it is my friends GS3, haven't seen him today so haven't had a chance to check the wikipedia page you listed from his phone, but assuming he can't how could he? Or should I say...my brothers HTC One S is the main device I want to be able to see emoji from because thats the phone my brother has and he really misses that from his iPhone. Would it be in STOCK Sense 4.1? I know you said you're running a ROM on your One X but I don't know if you're running that based off of the Sense 4.1 and if it would even be in Stock Sense 4.1

Yeah TrickDroid is based on Stock One X and Stock Sense for Jelly Bean so I assume HTC has implemented this stock.

I am going to try to flash Stock ROM by XDA user mike1986 and see what happens (I don't want to do that RUU stuff).

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
OK confirmed for HTC One X Stock... Android 4.1.1, Sense 4+, Software Number 3.14.401.31, Kernel 3.1.10 etc. CAN see emoji as per my TrickDroid ROM.

So unless HTC decides to fiddle with Android 4.1, emoji should be there.

Regarding how to see emoji without Root, that, I honestly do not know how. There might be ways like installing AndroidEmoji.ttf in the userspace, not sure.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I am rooted and I had the Microsoft for emojis but then once i updated to jelly bean it switched over to the Android style. Kind of liked the Microsoft one but its whatever. Don't feel like changing it again

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
All I have black and white emoji on twitter 😠

Normal system emoji on Android is black and white because TTF doesn't support colour it has to be done by the app eg. GoSMS. Apple uses custom TTF. 😢💔

Mikey Moore

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
okay i just rooted my 1st phone and downloaded the font ?DroidSansFallback.ttf? so i could see emojis with me s3. How would i use the Microsoft font so i can see microsoft emojis ?! thanks!

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
okay i just rooted my 1st phone and downloaded the font ?DroidSansFallback.ttf? so i could see emojis with me s3. How would i use the Microsoft font so i can see microsoft emojis ?! thanks!

Try replacing the AndroidEmoji.ttf font with the Microsoft TTF file. Sorry I can't link to it but you can Google it cheers.

RevoWution

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys. Came across this thread because I've been trying to get my S III (i9300) to show emoji in apps other than ChompSMS.

I was running an AOSP/CM hybrid rom (Liquid RC9) for a while before recently switching to a stock Samsung/TW-based rom (sotmax v14). When I was on Liquid, my phone had no problems displaying emoji (the default black-faced Android robots) in pretty much every app (Instagram included). Since wiping and flashing sotmax, no emoji show up whatsoever (blank spaces) except ChompSMS (but I'm guessing that's a native feature of Chomp).

I've pored through my /system/fonts and /system/etc folders, and everything seems to be in order for emoji to show correctly (I have both AndroidEmoji.ttf and DroidSansFallback.ttf in /fonts, and I also have fallback_fonts.xml in /etc), but I can't for the life of me make them appear!! :)

Note: I've looked into fallback_fonts.xml, and it has both AndroidEmoji.ttf and DroidSansFallback.ttf listed.

Note 2: I've since noticed that in the AOSP keyboard settings, inside add-on dictionaries, whenever I refresh and install "Emoji for English words", it appears to install, but when I exit and go back into the list, it's showing up as "Dictionary available"? :(

HoudiniJr

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Just thought I would let you know, Kii Keyboard is awesome to use for emoji. Its like SwiftKey but IMO is way better seeing as you can really customize it. Currently in beta but you can grab it off the store. You add on the handscent emojis and you get a full on emoji keyboard just like you would see if you ever used an iOS device.

rrocks05

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Ios6 vs Windows

Is there a link to anywhere on the internet that shows almost all or all of the ios 6 emojis next to their cross platform windows equivalents? That would be super amazing. I want to know what each emoji looks like when i send an ios6 emoji to my friend who has a windows phone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress