Why did my battery get drained overnight on standby?

jebbuh21

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
why did my battery get drained overnight on standby?

this is the 1st ever time it happened to me. My phone is new, only a few weeks old and ever since when i would leave it at night it would only eat up 5% of my battery life even with my data on, at most maybe 10%.

Now i woke up to find my phone dead from 97% after 9hrs of standby WITHOUT my data on.

Please help me eliminate/terminate this app if possible.

i will attach a screen shot of the process/app i found using up 89% of ny battery that is new to me and i just saw this today.

Attachments

• IMG_20150409_072137.jpg
    IMG_20150409_072137.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_2015-04-09-07-40-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-09-07-40-29.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 15

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: why did my battery get drained overnight on standby?

I've seen this before... What phone/version? There was a bug in 4.4.2 on some devices.. Had to do with third party applications (like Instagram, etc) accessing the camera.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Is your phone by chance a Nexus 5? I found a ton of articles and forum threads about the specific thing you mentioned about the Nexus 5. As LeoRex mentioned and on other forums Snapchat, instagram and others are calling the camera and that is killing the battery. What apps have you installed in the last week that use camera functions, that could be the culprit.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Actually... that looks like a Sammy.... I wasn't aware that Samsung's got bit by the camera daemon bug, but that sure looks like it. I can't tell by the pic, but is this still KitKat?

As Raptor mentioned... are you using any apps that access the camera (outside of the stock camera app)?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Even though this is like a Band-Aid for a gunshot wound, but a reboot should kill the camera from running. Not a fix, but it should stop it.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

Actually... that looks like a Sammy.

How did you come to that conclusion? Must be a icon in that notification bar somewhere that gave it away, just curious.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

How did you come to that conclusion? Must be a icon in that notification bar somewhere that gave it away, just curious.

What usually tips it off for me, is the time. Sammy is one of the very few, if not only, OEM that puts AM/PM in the status bar.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Color scheme, fonts and the lack of a nav bar on the screenshot (meaning HW buttons). Process of elimination. My only unknown is the version (though I am guessing KitKat)

jebbuh21

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site

Hi guys, yes i have a samsung s5 sm-g900f model.
Well i found a temporary fix i guess from A post that said he just installed the clean master app and cleaned junk files and it took it out of the list.

I havent used my camera since though coz im scared itll come back but i did open it a few times earlier today and it seemed fine. I keep checking the battery usage list if it showed up again and so far nothing yet. Hope this helps.

Davidvan

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site

I also got caught in the situation that my Oneplus One s4 battery drains quickly while i didn't play any games on my phone and also had disabled GPS, Bluetooth, Mobile Data, and only had sporadic connections to the net through Wi-Fi. After check the process, i found the Facebook Messenger is a battery hog. After close the Facebook App, the battery drops normally.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

clean master app and cleaned junk files
Nice advertising Cheetah does, but sorry - that daemon isn't a junk file, it's a necessary file when you're using the camera, and "cleaning" files out of RAM actually costs battery.

Your phone has a bug - the daemon should have stopped running (it can stay in RAM, that doesn't cost any battery) when you closed the app that was using it. If you use the home button, not the back button, to leave apps, that can cause the problem. The app is still running when you use the home button to get out of it. If you use the back button you close the app, theoretically closing any daemons it's using.

jebbuh21

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site

That makes sense ambassador! Thanks a lot!and so far it hasnt caused a problem again. Btw, out of topic question, my phone's still on android 4.4.2..is there an update already for s5?