System update question

russell1256

Jul 4, 2018
Visit site
I have an S9 running 8.0.0. This has happened twice, my phone will be charging at work on their wifi when my phone my phone starts a system update and tells me not to leave the wifi network. How do I stop these system updates. I have already turned off auto update, but it did not help. Anyone know how to stop this?

Russ

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure it's a system update and not a policy update pushed by your company wifi? If a certificate or administrator was installed to be able to access the network they are able to push these and there is no way to block them other than disabling the certificates or administrator privileges (which would keep u ounfdom accessing the network).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's odd because system updates will only warn you not to unplug or do it with a low battery, never not to disconnect from a network.

Depending on your carrier/model some updates might be mandatory no matter what option you've set in your settings, but these are rare.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
What you turned off was auto update of apps from the Play store. What you got was an update for Android, which is usually from Samsung. Different process, different app. You can delay Android updates, but only so many times, then it just updates without asking. Your best bet is after delaying the update the first time, when you're going to be home for a while, plug in the charger and do a system update. (It has to be at least 24 hours since the last one was delayed or you'll be told that the phone is up to date.)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh crap. Yeah sorry, forgot that the option to not check for updates was removed from the system options! They'll ask you when it's available and not autodownload though

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
I have an S9+ unlocked and I have to go to software in setting to find if I have a system update, even though I have it scheduled for a 2 am download, then I awake to a notiifcation of the system update, but it usually doesn't download it.

I have to manually check for the update, but why would it worry you that much since they usually take no longer than 15 minutes at best to download and install.

system.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress