Oldest daily driver?

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
That's really disappointing that the 808 affected the BlackBerry Priv in that way. The Priv, from what I remember, was pure awesomeness. But when your processor is slow...
I'd gladly pay a pretty penny for someone to replace the 808 with a newer more efficient processor, if it were possible.

Casualballer

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site
I'd gladly pay a pretty penny for someone to replace the 808 with a newer more efficient processor, if it were possible.

I wonder if there would be a market for such a thing. The key phones seemed like too much a compromise on screen space. The priv seemed the more elegant solution but it's sales were pretty terrible if I remember. What was the reason for that? Anyone remember?

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
The priv seemed the more elegant solution but it's sales were pretty terrible if I remember. What was the reason for that? Anyone remember?

I think it was the high launch price of $750, which was alot for a phone back in late 2015. That said, the sliding design probably took alot of R&D money to execute correctly.

Then apparently there was an issue at launch with the AT&T models that had trouble receiving e-mails...This led to high return rates even though BlackBerry did issue the fix pretty fast.

And finally, last but not least, the absolute POS of a processor snapdragon 808.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think it was the high launch price of $750, which was alot for a phone back in late 2015. That said, the sliding design probably took alot of R&D money to execute correctly.

Then apparently there was an issue at launch with the AT&T models that had trouble receiving e-mails...This led to high return rates even though BlackBerry did issue the fix pretty fast.

And finally, last but not least, the absolute POS of a processor snapdragon 808.

I've always loved that sliding design that BlackBerry implemented.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I used my Note 3 for three days this past February and then a Note Edge for three days after that. It was like going back in time. I tried using an app called My Motospeak with a Motorola Roadster 2 which was purchased in June of 2012 but that dog wouldn't hunt as they say. That My Motospeak app was the simplest and most effective way to hear incoming text messages read aloud to me and then I could compose and send a reply just by using my voice. Since late-2015 when the app was no longer supported I haven't found a suitable replacement for it. Both the Note 3 and Note Edge performed as new when I used them just about five months ago. I have been planning on using my LG V10 for several days later this month. I've located the V10 and two spare batteries in preparation.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I used my Note 3 for three days this past February and then a Note Edge for three days after that. It was like going back in time. I tried using an app called My Motospeak with a Motorola Roadster 2 which was purchased in June of 2012 but that dog wouldn't hunt as they say. That My Motospeak app was the simplest and most effective way to hear incoming text messages read aloud to me and then I could compose and send a reply just by using my voice. Since late-2015 when the app was no longer supported I haven't found a suitable replacement for it. Both the Note 3 and Note Edge performed as new when I used them just about five months ago. I have been planning on using my LG V10 for several days later this month. I've located the V10 and two spare batteries in preparation.

That's so awesome that you are cycling through your former devices! Now I want to pull put my Honor 8 and see how he is faring! :) Great idea!

Plus, it's good to have these phones available to you as backups in case something happens to your daily driver.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
My two are Huawei P30 Pro and iPhone XR. I can't remember when the XR came out but it was good enough that I gave up my 11 Pro Max.

That is what I love about Apple, unless you're an addict you don't need the latest iPhone. I realized that after over 10+ years of addicting.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
That's so awesome that you are cycling through your former devices! Now I want to pull put my Honor 8 and see how he is faring! :) Great idea!

Plus, it's good to have these phones available to you as backups in case something happens to your daily driver.

Yes. I get a thrill out of using recent, old tech, Morty. I recently revived my vintage Moto 360 Gen II smartwatch which I'd purchased in December of 2015 from Verizon. With the Wear OS updates the 55 month old watch still has something left in the tank.

My Note 4, October 2014, received the Marshmallow update three years ago and it can keep up nicely with more modern devices. Most of my old phones have their own story to tell.

Casualballer

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site
Yes. I get a thrill out of using recent, old tech, Morty. I recently revived my vintage Moto 360 Gen II smartwatch which I'd purchased in December of 2015 from Verizon. With the Wear OS updates the 55 month old watch still has something left in the tank.

My Note 4, October 2014, received the Marshmallow update three years ago and it can keep up nicely with more modern devices. Most of my old phones have their own story to tell.

I have seen on the internet a following of older tech users but typically they are rooting the phone and loading lineageOS or something of the like to it. Obviously you have the crew who hold on dearly to BB10 (and earlier!) phones but this is an android forum

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Wow, that is so cool that you revive old tech, not just phones! I also like your quote: "most of my old phones have their own story to tell." Brilliant!

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't say daily driver but I still rock my HTC one M8 when I'm at home that's because of the handy IR blaster.. I can control my tv, hifi, AVR and fans with just this phone. The phone still works great although it works best when using factory installed apps rather than the 2020 version apps which slow it down.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say daily driver but I still rock my HTC one M8 when I'm at home that's because of the handy IR blaster.. I can control my tv, hifi, AVR and fans with just this phone. The phone still works great although it works best when using factory installed apps rather than the 2020 version apps which slow it down.

The One M8... Oh, man. I really wanted that phone. An HTC phone, really. And it never happened! :(

Casualballer

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site
The One M8... Oh, man. I really wanted that phone. An HTC phone, really. And it never happened! :(

Do yourself a favor and never buy one on eBay for nostalgias sake... It'll ruin your nostalgia when you experience its non flagship experience in 2020.
I did it with a blackberry bold a couple years ago. Enjoyable but tinged with sadness

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Do yourself a favor and never buy one on eBay for nostalgias sake... It'll ruin your nostalgia when you experience its non flagship experience in 2020.
I did it with a blackberry bold a couple years ago. Enjoyable but tinged with sadness
Man those Bolds have even less usability today. And once carriers really shut down their BIS servers, they'll be alarm clocks with QWERTY's lol

Casualballer

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site
Man those Bolds have even less usability today. And once carriers really shut down their BIS servers, they'll be alarm clocks with QWERTY's lol

A couple years ago I was able to have basic functionality... Talk text music etc. Email didn't work :( and forget about any apps of any sort. I had basic Twitter functions and a slow mediocre browser. At that time I was looking for a simple communication experience so it worked and whenever I pulled it out of my pocket I got a little thrill but it really was so much less then it was back in the day. Now I doubt you could even get that level of functionality

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
A couple years ago I was able to have basic functionality... Talk text music etc. Email didn't work :( and forget about any apps of any sort. I had basic Twitter functions and a slow mediocre browser. At that time I was looking for a simple communication experience so it worked and whenever I pulled it out of my pocket I got a little thrill but it really was so much less then it was back in the day. Now I doubt you could even get that level of functionality
Today if you really want to go "detox" mode but still have some "smartphone" functionality, a BB Classic can still be useful. It's not dependent on BIS networks like the Bolds, it's got 4G LTE and exceptional cellular reception.
The processor however, is an underpowered one from early 2013 lol.

Think about it as a device much more capable than a T9 feature phone, but far less than today's powerhouses.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about that... As I said I'm still using the HTC one M8... Still works great, definitely functional..I have all the popular apps although admittedly I have the 'lite' versions and of apps like messenger and twitter for performance. But other than that it works great, even Google assistant works normally. I'm not interested in camera stuff so that might not be to cameraphobes standards but overall it's still holds up.

Casualballer

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site
I don't know about that... As I said I'm still using the HTC one M8... Still works great, definitely functional..I have all the popular apps although admittedly I have the 'lite' versions and of apps like messenger and twitter for performance. But other than that it works great, even Google assistant works normally. I'm not interested in camera stuff so that might not be to cameraphobes standards but overall it's still holds up.

It's definitely serviceable... When it came out it was arguably a top 3 phone. At that moment in time you may have eagerly wished that you owned it because of its top features etc. Using it now is probably comparable to a cheap budget phone. Fondly remembering the unique and top of the line status and then using a ok budget phone could ruin the sepia toned nostalgia. That's all I'm saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa