MHL vs Slimport: the truth, the tests the results.

renejr902

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Hi! I make this topic for everyone, people gaming with tv-out option with their phone will be happy to learn some results of my tests. In last years i bought several cell phones and several slimport and mhl cable and several bluetooth controllers. I tested all mhl cable versions 1,2,3 and passive mhl cables too and different brand. Same things for slimport, several cables and brand. I tested all of them with all these phones: nexus4,nexus5,samsung s5,lg g4, lg g3 , xperia z3 , xperia z5, samsung s4

It always the same result for slimport phone, any cable you use any version and any brand will always give you 0 input lag. No input lag AT ALL, at least a very very very little input lag if you compare nes games like super mario bros 1 with retroarch emulator or nes.emu vs your real nes hardware. Its so slim is nearly undetectable. Same things goes for android games indeed. The slimport cable are VERY bad quality vs mhl cable, so sometime if you have to buyva few of them to have one that work correctly without black screens or disconnect. At least if you one that work you can be sure at 100% there will be no input lag with a bluetooth controller , with nearly any one on the market, they all work great without much noticeable input lag, most of them like: ipega 9017, moga hero, moga pro, wireless or wiredps3, wireless or wired ps4 , i tested several others too. You have a slimport cable that work , it wont have any input lag. But i cant say the same thing for mhl. Anyway for slimport i recommend the official analogix OR the Fosmon version, they are the more compatible with all phones i tested.

Now for MHL, any combination of cell phone with any mhl cable, will always give you a little to mid input lag, even with passive cable, dont do like me dont buy 10 of them or different you lose your time, MHL always have more input lag than slimport. Some people will be ok with it, some people like me that love 2d games like super mario bros wont be ok with them, after several late jump that kill mario. LoL. BUT the worst of it, is some brand mhl cables are VERY BAD, and make mhl cables with A LOT of input lag. The worst are ROCKFISH MHL cables, i bought their 2 different mhl cables ver 1.0 and ver 3.0. In ver 1.0 you have to play in 720p for 60fps, otherwise 1080p at 30hz. 3.0 ver can play 1080p at 60fps even 4k at 30hz. BUT they SUCKS both of them. They have so much input lag that even android games wont be playable. Its atrocious!! Fosmon mhl 2.0 cable again is the cable with the less input lag so the best mhl cable for input lag( i dont work for Fosmon lol) i could say the same thing for the PASSIVR mhl cable from startech, but their mhl cable is ver 1.0 and cant run at 1080p 60hz so you have to use 720p for 60hz. At least this cable has exactly the same input lag than Fosmon 2.0 mhl cable. But like i said Fosmon and startech mhl cable have little to mid input lag and dont compare with any slimport cable for input lag. But they will still be playable for most people i think. Anyway if you want to buy a cell phones for gaming with bluetooth controller with tvout, BUY A SLIMPORT PHONE, not a MHL phone. And all miracast chromecast or any wireless tvout will have more input lag than mhl or slimport, not recommended for gaming. Another things i discern, is a few slimport cell phones will cause slowdown or stuttering in emulators or/and android games, if that happen, youre in trouble i didnt find a solution yet. I bought 3 nexus 5, 1 of them has this problem . I try 2 lg g4 one of them had this problem. Maybe a problem associate with android os. Still my favorite combination, is a nexus 4 or 5 with a fosmon slimport cable, that work flawessly, no lag, no stuttering, no problem with any bluetoith controller. The nvidia shield first version has a micro hdmi and i didnt notice any input lag with that. If i learn something new i will efitcthe topic. Have a great day

ari holtzman

Oct 26, 2018
Visit site
Hi! I make this topic for everyone, people gaming with tv-out option with their phone will be happy to learn some results of my tests. In last years i bought several cell phones and several slimport and mhl cable and several bluetooth controllers. I tested all mhl cable versions 1,2,3 and passive mhl cables too and different brand. Same things for slimport, several cables and brand. I tested all of them with all these phones: nexus4,nexus5,samsung s5,lg g4, lg g3 , xperia z3 , xperia z5, samsung s4

It always the same result for slimport phone, any cable you use any version and any brand will always give you 0 input lag. No input lag AT ALL, at least a very very very little input lag if you compare nes games like super mario bros 1 with retroarch emulator or nes.emu vs your real nes hardware. Its so slim is nearly undetectable. Same things goes for android games indeed. The slimport cable are VERY bad quality vs mhl cable, so sometime if you have to buyva few of them to have one that work correctly without black screens or disconnect. At least if you one that work you can be sure at 100% there will be no input lag with a bluetooth controller , with nearly any one on the market, they all work great without much noticeable input lag, most of them like: ipega 9017, moga hero, moga pro, wireless or wiredps3, wireless or wired ps4 , i tested several others too. You have a slimport cable that work , it wont have any input lag. But i cant say the same thing for mhl. Anyway for slimport i recommend the official analogix OR the Fosmon version, they are the more compatible with all phones i tested.

Now for MHL, any combination of cell phone with any mhl cable, will always give you a little to mid input lag, even with passive cable, dont do like me dont buy 10 of them or different you lose your time, MHL always have more input lag than slimport. Some people will be ok with it, some people like me that love 2d games like super mario bros wont be ok with them, after several late jump that kill mario. LoL. BUT the worst of it, is some brand mhl cables are VERY BAD, and make mhl cables with A LOT of input lag. The worst are ROCKFISH MHL cables, i bought their 2 different mhl cables ver 1.0 and ver 3.0. In ver 1.0 you have to play in 720p for 60fps, otherwise 1080p at 30hz. 3.0 ver can play 1080p at 60fps even 4k at 30hz. BUT they SUCKS both of them. They have so much input lag that even android games wont be playable. Its atrocious!! Fosmon mhl 2.0 cable again is the cable with the less input lag so the best mhl cable for input lag( i dont work for Fosmon lol) i could say the same thing for the PASSIVR mhl cable from startech, but their mhl cable is ver 1.0 and cant run at 1080p 60hz so you have to use 720p for 60hz. At least this cable has exactly the same input lag than Fosmon 2.0 mhl cable. But like i said Fosmon and startech mhl cable have little to mid input lag and dont compare with any slimport cable for input lag. But they will still be playable for most people i think. Anyway if you want to buy a cell phones for gaming with bluetooth controller with tvout, BUY A SLIMPORT PHONE, not a MHL phone. And all miracast chromecast or any wireless tvout will have more input lag than mhl or slimport, not recommended for gaming. Another things i discern, is a few slimport cell phones will cause slowdown or stuttering in emulators or/and android games, if that happen, youre in trouble i didnt find a solution yet. I bought 3 nexus 5, 1 of them has this problem . I try 2 lg g4 one of them had this problem. Maybe a problem associate with android os. Still my favorite combination, is a nexus 4 or 5 with a fosmon slimport cable, that work flawessly, no lag, no stuttering, no problem with any bluetoith controller. The nvidia shield first version has a micro hdmi and i didnt notice any input lag with that. If i learn something new i will efitcthe topic. Have a great day

Hi I have a LG g4, which wires excatly did you get that work? Thank you!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer