AT&T bought T-Mobile us

krazy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully this works out better than Sprint + Nextel. Either way everyone continues to fall further and further behind VZW especially seeing how well LTE works with the Thunderbolt. In the US it's going to be VZW as the premium brand and then everyone else is going to have to consolidate to try to keep up.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully this works out better than Sprint + Nextel. Either way everyone continues to fall further and further behind VZW especially seeing how well LTE works with the Thunderbolt. In the US it's going to be VZW as the premium brand and then everyone else is going to have to consolidate to try to keep up.

When this goes through, AT&T will pass Verizon by about 40 million subscribers (don't quote me on that number, I just used my shoddy knowledge of carrier subscriptions :) ) The good news is, AT&T is committing to a larger LTE network, and maybe we'll see a better selection of phones on a combined network.

I'd hate to be Sprint right now...

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes!! Now I get better coverage! I guess I will stay with T-Mobile after all. At&t is great in my area. I will just have to put up with T-Mobile's horrible coverage for now. Oh, and my area was on the 4G LTE map! I hope we get to keep our plans. I have unlimited data, talk, and text. The AT&T Nexus S better come out soon because I am not giving up my phone for some blurred device.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes!! Now I get better coverage! I guess I will stay with T-Mobile after all. At&t is great in my area. I will just have to put up with T-Mobile's horrible coverage for now. Oh, and my area was on the 4G LTE map! I hope we get to keep our plans. I have unlimited data, talk, and text. The AT&T Nexus S better come out soon because I am not giving up my phone for some blurred device.

Oooh, does this mean future Nexi will have AT&T bands?
Yes please!

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I am not so sure that the bodies that govern will allow att to have a gsm MONOPOLY......

As far as the government is going to be concerned, as long as there are other CELL PHONE carriers out there, they will not care how many are GSM or CDMA carriers. Besides, Verizon is making the switch over to GSM too, so once they are done with that, it will be back to 2 GSM carriers again.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I am not so sure that the bodies that govern will allow att to have a gsm MONOPOLY......

I doubt they care about GSM/CDMA. They'll see AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint, and see enough competition.

I see this like the Northwest/Delta merger. Northwest (T-mobile) plus #2 Delta (AT&T) takes over #1 from American (Verizon).

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
The bad thing is that ATT will be the only major US sim carrier. LTE will change that some (Verizon its still using sims as they should for LTE, right? ..but probably still locking down by IMEI). It's nice that I can put any sim device with the right frequencies on ATT. Currently my ATT family plan is the cheapest option for me. Afraid they may try to start gouging with one less competitor.

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Look at it this way, AT&T buys TMobile, takes a year to go through the regulators, 39 billion plus additional money in fees, they get approval. Now where is the money going to come from to do network upgrades? Some are looking at this from rose colored glasses, I'm looking at this from a boy are AT&T and TMobile customers are looking at higher rates. Unless you are a stockholder, the picture looks more like weeds than a rose garden.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Look at it this way, AT&T buys TMobile, takes a year to go through the regulators, 39 billion plus additional money in fees, they get approval. Now where is the money going to come from to do network upgrades? Some are looking at this from rose colored glasses, I'm looking at this from a boy are AT&T and TMobile customers are looking at higher rates. Unless you are a stockholder, the picture looks more like weeds than a rose garden.

I'm sure they've been planning this for awhile. They know they have to have money to upgrade the network, so they wouldn't drain the coffers to get T-mobile and then be left with two networks behind the times.

krazy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
When this goes through, AT&T will pass Verizon by about 40 million subscribers (don't quote me on that number, I just used my shoddy knowledge of carrier subscriptions :) ) The good news is, AT&T is committing to a larger LTE network, and maybe we'll see a better selection of phones on a combined network.

I'd hate to be Sprint right now...

Sprint bought a ton of subscribers when they bought them through their purchase of nextel. That didn't do them much good, did it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez