10-31-2016 06:35 PM
44 12
tools
    Title says it all. Why do people still use iPhones we may ask? IMessage is the answer. I talk to many of my friends who owns iPhones and I show them a lot of the things my android device can do, ( I love my blackberry priv), and they don't really seem to care. IPhone users are comfortable with how their devices work, and they do work extremely well for what they're limited in doing.

I have had some friends who have acted on their android curiosity and due to their frustration with the same apple stuff year after year. But this brings me back to my original point. IMessage is single handedly, in my opinion of course, an absolutely massive selling feature of the iPhone. And let's face it, it works great. Ya there's BBM, whatsapp etc.. But most people can't be bother to download a separate application, as silly as that sounds. IMessage is great because it is automatically integrated into apples own messages application. If the person doesn't have an iPhone, no problem, it sends as a text message.

If google could introduce something similar I think it would be huge for the android platform. Every android device should come pre installed with a google messaging application that has a fully integrated internet/data based messaging service for ALL android devices. Apple's IMessage is obviously limited to just apple devices. Think of the power of a service like this on Android that can be used on your Samsung device, and then your friend's LG device, my blackberry device, your colleague's nexus or pixel device. I think this would pull a huge number of ios customers to Android with a messaging feature like this alone. Thoughts?
    pinhunter27 and DMP89145 like this.
    10-04-2016 05:12 PM
    Also needs to work on desktop and cross platform. Otherwise fully agree.
    10-04-2016 05:17 PM
    People still use iPhones because they like them.
    10-04-2016 05:48 PM
    Good observation
    10-04-2016 08:24 PM
    What's the big deal about iMessage?
    10-06-2016 11:08 AM
    Interesting idea.

How does iMessage differ from standard SMS texting?
    10-06-2016 01:56 PM
    Not to mention because they offer a well implemented user experience. Not earth shattering in any particular way, but solid across the board. Having come from an Iphone to Android, I have nothing but the utmost respect for what Apple has accomplished with the Iphone.
    Aquila likes this.
    10-06-2016 02:09 PM
    Interesting idea.

How does iMessage differ from standard SMS texting?
    iMessage essentially high jacks SMS and MMS messaging. When enabled, if the person you're sending the text to is on iMessage, it'll route through iMessage. If not, it'll fall back to SMS or MMS depending on how many recipients and if there is any media attached.

Routing through iMessage allows for messages longer than 160 characters (SMS text limit) and richer media (MMS file size can vary).
    Aquila and DMP89145 like this.
    10-06-2016 05:36 PM
    iMessage essentially high jacks SMS and MMS messaging. When enabled, if the person you're sending the text to is on iMessage, it'll route through iMessage. If not, it'll fall back to SMS or MMS depending on how many recipients and if there is any media attached.

Routing through iMessage allows for messages longer than 160 characters (SMS text limit) and richer media (MMS file size can vary).
    And this is a deal breaker? I still don't see the big deal.
    10-06-2016 06:01 PM
    It's a huge deal breaker because I can text anyone I want over WiFi and send larger picture and video files. If Im on vacation I could text anyone in my phone through IMessage as if I was back home (when I had my iPhone). Also IMessage is overall just faster and more reliable then sms I find. I often find since using android that I'll send double texts to people as well as receive them
    Aquila likes this.
    10-06-2016 09:28 PM
    It's a huge deal breaker because I can text anyone I want over WiFi and send larger picture and video files. If Im on vacation I could text anyone in my phone through IMessage as if I was back home (when I had my iPhone). Also IMessage is overall just faster and more reliable then sms I find. I often find since using android that I'll send double texts to people as well as receive them
    Sorry... I'm just not seeing the big deal here. I don't have any issues sending texts, pics with my Android. I must be missing something. Seems like BS to me.
    10-07-2016 06:03 AM
    Sorry... I'm just not seeing the big deal here. I don't have any issues sending texts, pics with my Android. I must be missing something. Seems like BS to me.
    Not BS - he has a point. I don't know that it's the *only* reason but it's definitely a QOL factor. For people using the iphone, they just send messages - that's all it is to them. To the rest of the world, there are various protocols to navigate such as SMS, MMS, etc... Imessage just handles all of this, and when sent to another iphone it's point-to-point encrypted and without character limits.

To the OP - Google is heavily leveraging Allo and Duo in this manner, give it 24mos.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-07-2016 11:56 AM
    The Google solution right now is to use Allo. Get as many people on board with Allo and be part of the solution.
    Laura Knotek and DMP89145 like this.
    10-07-2016 12:07 PM
    Not BS - he has a point. I don't know that it's the *only* reason but it's definitely a QOL factor. For people using the iphone, they just send messages - that's all it is to them. To the rest of the world, there are various protocols to navigate such as SMS, MMS, etc... Imessage just handles all of this, and when sent to another iphone it's point-to-point encrypted and without character limits..
    Ok, but my S7 sends MMS/SMS without any navigating, I just get into my stock texting app. Sorry, guess I'm just a dolt.
    10-07-2016 12:57 PM
    I totally agree. Merging Allo and Duo into Hangouts or merging Allo and Duo together into one app and closing Hangouts. It's time for a real FaceTime competitor.
    10-07-2016 02:17 PM
    Ok, but my S7 sends MMS/SMS without any navigating, I just get into my stock texting app. Sorry, guess I'm just a dolt.
    Right - but the S7 breaks long texts up into multiple texts - it's using the SMS protocol which imposes character limits (160 char max), anything over this is sent as another text.

Likewise, MMS pictures are compressed and not sent natively (and to my frustration upside down occasionally). These are a couple of examples of issues solved by imessage - you just send messages and pictures.
    10-07-2016 03:43 PM
    Video messages via MMS are horrible.
    Aquila, DMP89145 and libra89 like this.
    10-08-2016 10:30 PM
    Lolz...agreed!
    10-08-2016 11:27 PM
    I guess I don't give a hoot about video messages, probably why I don't understand the fuss.
    10-09-2016 07:56 AM
    I guess I don't give a hoot about video messages, probably why I don't understand the fuss.
    Do you use Hangouts, WhatsApp or any messaging app like that? iMessage is just like those, except it's built-in to the iPhone, which means people don't have to download a separate app, create an account, hope their contacts are also on the app, etc.

To me, the big benefit is the ability to message over WiFi. Of course, this only works if the other person has an iPhone, but that's the great thing: if they don't, iMessage will just use SMS/MMS. But if they do, the conversation will be encrypted and sent over data connection or WiFi. I get terrible reception in my house for some reason, so for reliability purposes, I've gotten immediate family on Hangouts. But most of my family and friends have iPhones, so trying to get others on there is a lost cause since almost everyone else they talk to also have iPhones.
    10-09-2016 09:04 AM
    Do you use Hangouts, WhatsApp or any messaging app like that? iMessage is just like those, except it's built-in to the iPhone, which means people don't have to download a separate app, create an account, hope their contacts are also on the app, etc.

To me, the big benefit is the ability to message over WiFi. Of course, this only works if the other person has an iPhone, but that's the great thing: if they don't, iMessage will just use SMS/MMS. But if they do, the conversation will be encrypted and sent over data connection or WiFi. I get terrible reception in my house for some reason, so for reliability purposes, I've gotten immediate family on Hangouts. But most of my family and friends have iPhones, so trying to get others on there is a lost cause since almost everyone else they talk to also have iPhones.
    Yes people can't be bothered to download an app like what's app then make sure all 100 of their friends have it downloaded too. IMessage just works automatically if data is on. For people who aren't tech savy and don't really care, (majority of people), it's brilliant!

People need to start looking at consumers more realistically. Imessage is a selling feature. Just because we all may be smart enough to understand what it's not really a big deal, to more consumers than not, it is. And it works really well. Something like this for Android would do wonders. Android needs to take one small teeny tiny page out of apple's book and make things a little more simple for the average folks.
    DMP89145 and pbike908 like this.
    10-10-2016 12:51 AM
    iMessage just works. Period.

Not only can you send longer messages but if you have more than one device (like I and many other do) the sender can just send to the one recipient and all the recipient's devices get the message. That is huge. ...and the sender/recipient don't need to download a 3rd party app or create a separate account for it to work that way.

I'm not sure why Google can't easily accomplish this but I'm sure there's a reason as I'd imagine they'd LIKE to have the same ease of use.

The thing about Apple is they may not always have the most advanced features or customization but what they do have typically works, works with little to no effort, and is reliable. Its why my husband and daughter swear by their iPhones.

I like to tinker and don't mind having to fiddle, especially when it means I can own hardware like the S7e, V20, and V10 but I can totally see why most people want the solution that is easiest (iMessage/iPhone) for them.
    10-27-2016 02:52 PM
    iMessage just works. Period.

Not only can you send longer messages but if you have more than one device (like I and many other do) the sender can just send to the one recipient and all the recipient's devices get the message. That is huge. ...and the sender/recipient don't need to download a 3rd party app or create a separate account for it to work that way.

I'm not sure why Google can't easily accomplish this but I'm sure there's a reason as I'd imagine they'd LIKE to have the same ease of use.

The thing about Apple is they may not always have the most advanced features or customization but what they do have typically works, works with little to no effort, and is reliable. Its why my husband and daughter swear by their iPhones.

I like to tinker and don't mind having to fiddle, especially when it means I can own hardware like the S7e, V20, and V10 but I can totally see why most people want the solution that is easiest (iMessage/iPhone) for them.
    I think they can (Hangouts/Google Talk).

But it also limits the openness of Android. Textra and other replacement SMS/MMS apps become irrelevant.

Also - this could/would only help Android to Android communication. Android to iOS will still need to fall back to SMS/MMS.
    10-27-2016 03:01 PM
    Some people may send more video than you and therefore they like it. It is nice to text a video that you can see in nice quality versus being all compressed and crappy.

My Mom likes to send videos of my nephew.. I have her send it to my gf's phone so I can watch it in nice quality.
    libra89, tadpoles and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-27-2016 05:19 PM
    I think they can (Hangouts/Google Talk).

But it also limits the openness of Android. Textra and other replacement SMS/MMS apps become irrelevant.

Also - this could/would only help Android to Android communication. Android to iOS will still need to fall back to SMS/MMS.
    But Hangouts/Google Talk is not the native messaging app...so you'd have to get everyone you communicate with to jump on board instead of just using the native messaging solution.

While I miss imessage I'm not feeling like giving up Android to join the rest of the clan in iOS get at it. There are workarounds and we use them.
    10-27-2016 06:57 PM
44 12