Will Allo support SMS?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Sms??

If I send you a message with an iPhone and you have an Android, you'll get the message no matter what you are using. It obviously will show up as a SMS text instead of an iMessage but youll still receive it. Google can do the same in that regards can't they?

True.

My comment was more towards the limitations of SMS/MMS. Example: send a picture or video from iMessage to iMessage. Now watch MMS compress the heck out of it from an iPhone to an Android phone.

Allo having SMS and MMS support doesn't fix that.

RPlanteJr

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
Since I am such a novice with my Android, I really am not sure what the best messaging app is right now for Google. I have been using the Samsung Messages which works and is pretty customization in terms of aesthetics. I've heard Google Messenger is the best and I've heard people like Hangouts. What is your thoughts on these? Could Google Messenger be used to text my gf's iPhone even if she doesn't have it installed?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Since I am such a novice with my Android, I really am not sure what the best messaging app is right now for Google. I have been using the Samsung Messages which works and is pretty customization in terms of aesthetics. I've heard Google Messenger is the best and I've heard people like Hangouts. What is your thoughts on these? Could Google Messenger be used to text my gf's iPhone even if she doesn't have it installed?

There's SMS/MMS apps, alternative messaging apps, and some apps that blend both.

Google Messenger is just an SMS/MMS app.
Textra is just an SMS/MMS app.
Hangouts is it's own client tied to a Gmail account.
Viber is it's own platform.
Line is it's own platform.
Kik is it's own platform.
WhatsApp is it's own platform.

Some may give you a different number to use for outside messaging. Some may have other features like voice and/or video calling. Some will let you do SMS/MMS within the app, though the threads might not merge. Some are tied to a username/password. WhatsApp uses your phone number for the account.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress