Still no Gingerbread or new market...

runswithjedi

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
You know, it that's the case, then I think the very least Google can do is announce this. As I recall they stated that 2.3 was going to be released in a "few weeks" about 6 weeks ago. The really need to is clear up this mess and state their intentions.

GeoKaplan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
You know, it that's the case, then I think the very least Google can do is announce this. As I recall they stated that 2.3 was going to be released in a "few weeks" about 6 weeks ago. The really need to is clear up this mess and state their intentions.

Honest question: What is it about Gingerbread that makes you so desperate to have it? What feature does it have that you can't live without?

It is possible that you haven't read some of the woes of those with the Nexus S and realized that the OS isn't ready for the world? Software companies do this all the time: Someone at the top makes a promise of a release and the product comes out, whether it is ready or not (one such example which comes to mind is the Blackberry Storm, when the BB OS wasn't ready for a touch device). Google has been pushing OS updates out at a ridiculous rate, and it does appear that their QC is slipping as they attempt to maintain the pace.

A look at the reviews of Gingerbread (apart from the NS itself) tells me that there really isn't much there to substantiate an upgrade from Froyo; there is the black notification bar (which apparently is a large part of the "increased battery life"), better task management, cut and paste...that's about it. File that under, "Nice to have, but not losing sleep over".

As for the rest, the improved keyboard (I'm happy with Swiftkey), features for FFC (don't have it on the N1), features for NFC (ditto), support for larger screens (ditto) and more, don't do anything for me.

I wouldn't mind having Gingerbread if it was pushed out, but for my phone, this isn't the sort of huge leap that Eclair was over Donut, or that Froyo was over Eclair. This is almost more like a maintenance fix. Indications are that Google hasn't pushed it out because they're still squashing bugs (with NS owners having paid $500 for the privilege of being a beta tester), and I sure don't want it if it isn't ready for the general public.

After talking with some NS owners, playing with the phone itself, and reading the reviews, it simply doesn't appear that whether or not I get Gingerbread soon is any big deal. It doesn't matter to me what someone at Google tweeted weeks ago as a "promise", because I don't feel that I need what he was promising.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, Gingerbread was a rather overhyped release. The UI is nice but I didn't notice anything else... SIP calling is redundant to me, the games are not better unless the dev modifies it. Its very snappy, but that's about it. Nothing else. If this were as big a leap as from 2.1 to 2.2, I would understand... but it doesn't matter. There are already 2 ROMs that use 2.3, the stock one, and the CM one. I can understand why you would be angry though. You were promised updates first, you still haven't gotten it.

Sent from my Nexus S

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress