N1 Dock overheating phone?

z0phi3l

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Got my dock yesterday and I noticed that my phone got fairly hot after sitting on the dock, just charging, BT was on but I don't have any BT device to stream to yet. I had noticed that sometimes on the USB cable it warmed up, but on the dock it got hot, anyone else noticing this?

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
While I don't have the dock I would not think the phone should get hot to the touch. I would try exchanging the dock. Something does not sound right.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I've been using the dock for several days now and haven't had any heating problems. I'd look at returning that dock. mine gets "warm" too when charging via USB, but is the same when charging via the dock. A little warmth, but that's it.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Yep need to get it returned, got the N1 update, tried it again, phone got hot even faster
Yeah I think you're doing the right thing bro. No point in frying your Nexus over a bad dock.

I checked this issue last night just to make sure. Put my N1 on the dock with 10% left, and left it that way until it was at 60%, and then pulled it off the dock to check for heat. Just the same warmth caused by charging normally via USB charger, so something is definitely up.

androidmom

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Ive been using my Dock since I got. Leave it on overnight and lots during the day and no overheating problems here! Weird if it does tho, I had 3g that was the overheating problem it was a pain until the replaced it for me.

cozbaldwin

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
well this is weird

I came here expecting to find a thread of a bunch of people complaining. But it appears I'm only one of a few people with this problem.

I've had my N1 in June '10 and got the car dock with it. Since day 1, I've noticed that when in the dock, it gets my phone hot. So hot that it doesn't recognize when I touch the screen on it. It gets confused and launches an app that's an inch away from where I touched. (It's usually when I've got the Navigation app running, too, so it's running full blast with BT and GPS)

I just thought it was normal. Inefficient & annoying, but normal.

So you guys think all this time I've been using a defective dock?

....Because I also notice that there are times when the GPS Navigator voice goes in and out and will sometimes not audibly give me directions or give me a word or two at a time.

jthom

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had the same exact problem since day 1. If you browse the official Google support threads, tons of other people seem to be having the same problem. There was never a solution offered, besides swapping out the charger that came with it for one at a lower voltage.

But anyway, yeah, kind of a scary problem and another example of Google kind of burying their head in the sand when it came to any issue with this phone. Guess we'll see how they treat the Nexus S.

I came here expecting to find a thread of a bunch of people complaining. But it appears I'm only one of a few people with this problem.

I've had my N1 in June '10 and got the car dock with it. Since day 1, I've noticed that when in the dock, it gets my phone hot. So hot that it doesn't recognize when I touch the screen on it. It gets confused and launches an app that's an inch away from where I touched. (It's usually when I've got the Navigation app running, too, so it's running full blast with BT and GPS)

I just thought it was normal. Inefficient & annoying, but normal.

So you guys think all this time I've been using a defective dock?

....Because I also notice that there are times when the GPS Navigator voice goes in and out and will sometimes not audibly give me directions or give me a word or two at a time.