Nexus 4 back shattered within 24 hours - not dropped!

Mark The Mark

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
It broke by itself in front of your eyes? You know no one is going to believe that. I say BS.

Check out other photos - if only my photoshop skills were that good :)

Maybe my wording wasn't the best... what I mean is that when I place it on the surface, something to do with the contact (and it wasn't a drop, I repeat) caused it to start cracking from one point and the crack spread across the whole piece of glass, but that took some time, like a second or two... so when I picked it up to look, I could literally see it happen and hear it too.

I reckon the glass must be under some tension by the outer case and possibly the temperature change of it going from my warm hand to the cold surface cause the case to contract and put the glass under too much pressure causing this type of "slow" crack. I'm not a physicist... but that's my guess.

This is one of the first phones of the new batch here in the UK - maybe it's a one off (and I really hope so as there will be a lot of unhappy people otherwise)

Mark The Mark

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
No disrespect, but anyone using a phone mostly made of glass naked, without a case or a bumper deserves to have his phone shattered.

Well, then google shouldn't be selling them without bumpers should they?

(and they should make sure they have them in stock too - I was waiting to order one, and treating my phone with one hell of a lot of care - didn't think putting in on a surface would be a problem... )

idaute

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
donm,
I wish I could see as well as you do, but fortunately I am not a no-it-all broadcasting my expertise (and no I do not see what you see or a cat hair as someone else blunders forth with). It appears that there are quite a few no-it-alls in this post. They don't bring any credibility to themselves.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
You know jd914, you probably really know what BS is don't you? It appears that the old saying that goes it takes one to know one is in effect hear. Are you really full of it yourself, and thus know exactly what it is when you see it? Your post and the two following yours are not what I would like to find on a reasonable forum. Those posts make the forum seem petty.

Jokes on you because you been trolled by the OP.

Mark The Mark

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

Which OP? Me? You still telling me this is BS even with more photos? You still think I'm just inventing this? What's my reason for trolling? Maybe I'm some sort of secret iPhone Fanbio trying to wage a war against the noble N4? Maybe I'm just in denial after I stupidly dropped my phone in some sort of psychotic drop-test? Maybe I just like winding people up for no reason?

Jeesh. Next time I feel like being helpful... I'll remember not to bother posting here.

Mark The Mark

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Agreed

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile

But you miss the point. I took a "naked" N4 and placed it. You know. Not dropped. Not even slightly dropped. Placed it on a kitchen surface. And the glass shattered.

I think the useful comments on the thread (if you can find them among all the useless ones) have suggested that it could be the temperature difference that caused a defective phone to break.

As I said... I hope this is just one in a million as it would be a shame for others to have this... but if they do, then maybe they will post too and maybe something will get done about it.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
For all you people calling BS, this has been reported in the past by one of the editors of a known android blog that the exact e thing happened. I don't remember if it was android central or not but a similar site with a similar situation of setting it down on a counter normally and the back shattered.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
This is kinda like spontaneous human combustion, just kinda happens... lol

Sent from my Jelly Bean flavored HTC DROID DNA

skafri#WN

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
interesting how that one crack at the bottom right goes beyond the glass and continues into the bezel... really gotta pay attention to detail... the rest looked so good.

Pretty positive that's a piece of hair or fuzz.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Mark The Mark

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

idaute

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site

It now appears that our BS expert (or is it full of it) is also an expert on jokes. Well, I sort of have to agree, jd914, you have made a big joke out of yourself on this thread (along with quite a few other experts on BS and jokes).

idaute

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Seems like someone's blogged about it:
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/26/nexus-4s-glass-back-the-worst-idea-since-the-last-phone-with-a-glass-back/

"You know what did it? Setting them down gently onto my room temperature stone countertop. That?s it. The temperature change after it went from my warm hand to a room temperature countertop was apparently enough to split both devices? glass backs almost directly down the middle."

Oh well, not one in a million then.

Mark,
You will have a lot of trouble pounding any sense into experts in BS and jokes. It will be interesting, however, to see if any of these BS and joke experts will read the blog that you posted, and then respond so that we can see them trying to clean up on some of that BS that they know so much about.

Mark The Mark

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Mark,
You will have a lot of trouble pounding any sense into experts in BS and jokes. It will be interesting, however, to see if any of these BS and joke experts will read the blog that you posted, and then respond so that we can see them trying to clean up on some of that BS that they know so much about.

It's alright :) just wanted to let people know.
I've made my point now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress