Antecuser

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Same here device shutting down and Messaging service drains my battery :(
So sad right now this shouldn't happen to a released version of android :(

boparunsxc

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, anyone who does an OS in-place upgrade deserves whatever troubles they get, in my view.

I wiped my phone and did the install. Everything worked except for the known incompatibility with Netflix. Ever since that's been gone, my phone has been rock solid.

I did mine without wiping and aside from play store issues (which are now fixed), everything works, including Netflix.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

nex4j

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes, my Nexus 4 got the 4.3 update a day ago - it has shut down at least three times since. Last night I was using netflix and I think it happened while it was paused. Today it happened randomly, and with essentially a full charge. Netflix was not used today, but I did watch a brief news video a little while before it happened. Never had this issue before.

pimpdaddywelfare

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Since updating I am having a strange issue...
When I receive a pic/video text I get notified, like normal, and when I go to check it, it takes me to the compose new message screen.
Whn I back out of that screen and go to the open messaging session with the contact (who sent the MMS) its not there. I currently have 5 MMS messages that have not been delivered to my phone. I have full H service so I dont know whats going on...

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Since updating I am having a strange issue...
When I receive a pic/video text I get notified, like normal, and when I go to check it, it takes me to the compose new message screen.
Whn I back out of that screen and go to the open messaging session with the contact (who sent the MMS) its not there. I currently have 5 MMS messages that have not been delivered to my phone. I have full H service so I dont know whats going on...

You don't mention your carrier. I with AT&T. I noticed after I updated the default apns were different than the one that was created when I first entered my sim card. You may need to check your apn(s) to make sure you have a proper one.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bwhick7492

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I to have had my phone shut off randomly. also my life is horrible.I am going to try a factory reset and hope that fixes the problem.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, anyone who does an OS in-place upgrade deserves whatever troubles they get, in my view.

I wiped my phone and did the install. Everything worked except for the known incompatibility with Netflix. Ever since that's been gone, my phone has been rock solid.
With all due respect, if this were the case, Google shouldn't be offering OTA updates. This position was accurate versions ago, but now makes no sense.

Chaitanya Kelkar

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
My phone doesnt display the screen when I take it off from ear (during active call). It should display options to disconnect, do anything on keypad etc. It stays dark!! It has been happening since 4.3 update intermittently. Its bad..

pimpdaddywelfare

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
fernandezhjr - MY carrier is Fido in Canada, I checked APN and had the carrier push the info to my sim as well. I got a UICC update fail2 notice, but the APN information is now correct. I try to text a picture it says sending for about half a day then it says it failed and has a little red icon beside it now. I have still yet to receive ANY of the 5 MMS sent to me from the past 3 days. Im going to try to get a new sim card from the today and have them check the settings while Im there. Its crazy annoying.

Chaitanya Kelkar - I also have this issue. When on a call and I check the screen it stays black and I have to physically turn the phone screen on, via the power button, to get it to come back on. Its like the proximity sensor is turning the screen completely off.

canucks4life

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if anyone else has experienced but noticed since 4.3 update when first powering on the device bootup screen appears to come on before initial vibrate...very minor annoyance I know :p

Meruman

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if it's an actual bug, but the 4.3 update seems to have broken the bluetooth connection with my car, a 2012 Ford Focus with the Ford SYNC system. I've deleted the phone from the car's list of recognized devices, and re-paired it (after some difficulty), but the car still won't connect to the phone. Annoying.

Update: fixed the problem by doing a "master reset" on the MyFord Touch software in the car; a factory data reset on the phone wasn't necessary. Resetting the car's software wiped all my settings and saved navigation favorites, but Ford is releasing an update this month so that was going to happen anyway.

Last edited:

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

It's been posted many times, that if you have troubles after the update, just to a reset of the phone and 99% of them will go away. It's funny to read post after post of people beating their heads against the wall because something post update doesn't work correctly, yet they never bothered to do a factory reset.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The howling arrogance of the people sneering, "If you don't wipe/reset your phone, then you're a n00b and deserve problems!" is an insult and presumes that people have nothing better to do than redownload and re-configure dozens if not hundreds of apps because an OTA update doesn't work. "Then make a nandroid or use TiBU and reload your apps that way, n00bs!" is the usual follow-up reply, so I'll save y'all the time of typing it before retorting that again, not everyone wants to or has the ability to do such things.

Just because Android phones are hackable and customizable with ROMs and kernels doesn't mean the vast majority of users can or want the hassle of doing such. THEY JUST WANT THEIR PHONES TO WORK! I've seen computer nerds bragging about how they reinstall Windows monthly or flash ROMs daily and that says to me that they aren't doing anything but wiping and flashing. The rest of us just want to get on with their lives.

EDIT/ADDITION: I had the lag and stuttering on my OG Nexus 7, so bit the bullet and did a full nuke and reload from a factory image and it's still stuttering and sad. It's never been as good as it was with 4.1.2; 4.2.x and on has been terrible. Gee, I did a full wipe and am having problems. But, but the l337 h4X0rZ said that it'd be all better!! Pffft.

Back to the topic: I discovered that my Play Books don't work after the 4.3 update (pushed manually via ADB from unzipped image), only opening to the spot I left off at spinning a circle on a black screen. The only "fix" is to delete it off the phone and then redownload; then it seems to work. Hassle.

Not sure if bug or feature that never made it, but I thought 4.3 was going to update Android's Bluetooth stack to a point where it would pass artist and song info to car systems. I've got Ford Sync and it still just says "Bluetooth Stream Detected" and "Unknown artist" on the displays, same as before. A friend with an iPhone and a GM car was telling me that my podcast's art shows up on his entertainment system LCD and I was hoping similar would happen here, but it appears not.

Last edited:

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
The howling arrogance of the people sneering, "If you don't wipe/reset your phone, then you're a n00b and deserve problems!" is an insult and presumes that people have nothing better to do than redownload and re-configure dozens if not hundreds of apps because an OTA update doesn't work. "Then make a nandroid or use TiBU and reload your apps that way, n00bs!" is the usual follow-up reply, so I'll save y'all the time of typing it before retorting that again, not everyone wants to or has the ability to do such things.

Just because Android phones are hackable and customizable with ROMs and kernels doesn't mean the vast majority of users can or want the hassle of doing such. THEY JUST WANT THEIR PHONES TO WORK! I've seen computer nerds bragging about how they reinstall Windows monthly or flash ROMs daily and that says to me that they aren't doing anything but wiping and flashing. The rest of us just want to get on with their lives.

EDIT/ADDITION: I had the lag and stuttering on my OG Nexus 7, so bit the bullet and did a full nuke and reload from a factory image and it's still stuttering and sad. It's never been as good as it was with 4.1.2; 4.2.x and on has been terrible. Gee, I did a full wipe and am having problems. But, but the l337 h4X0rZ said that it'd be all better!! Pffft.

Back to the topic: I discovered that my Play Books don't work after the 4.3 update (pushed manually via ADB from unzipped image), only opening to the spot I left off at spinning a circle on a black screen. The only "fix" is to delete it off the phone and then redownload; then it seems to work. Hassle.

Not sure if bug or feature that never made it, but I thought 4.3 was going to update Android's Bluetooth stack to a point where it would pass artist and song info to car systems. I've got Ford Sync and it still just says "Bluetooth Stream Detected" and "Unknown artist" on the displays, same as before. A friend with an iPhone and a GM car was telling me that my podcast's art shows up on his entertainment system LCD and I was hoping similar would happen here, but it appears not.

Doing a factory reset has nothing to do with rooting and hacking. The very people you are trashing are the ones that know more because they are the ones that dig deeper and have more knowledge of functionality. I never ever accept an in place ota update. A in place ota update is a form of dirty flashing which can very easily lead to all kinds of bugs because data is not wiped. It is more work because you have setup the phone again, but I always wipe before flashing. For this reason you see the answer to do a factory reset often. However, if people simply don't want to do a data reset because they don't want to go thru the hassle of reinstalling their apps again, redoing all the settings, or maybe don't want to lose that high score on Candy Crush, the they shouldn't whine about the issues they are having. They should be thankful that people are still willing to help them.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't have an iPhone so I don't know, but is the standard advice for users of iOS devices to erase everything because it's unreasonable to expect the update to work or does it just work. As someone else mentioned, if OTA updates were such a high-risk, inadvisable, stupid thing that no one should ever, EVER do our else they should STFU about their problems because teh l337 h4X0rZ don't have any inclination to be sympathetic, then Google and every other maker and carrier wouldn't do it since it's just added support hassles. But they do, so perhaps the l337 h4X0r snobs need to get over themselves and their unhelpful arrogance.

If anything, this "knowledgeable" advice sounds like ignorant arrogance: They can't fix the problem, so they just burp, "Wipe it, n00b! Erase it! I always wipe my devices cuz I am teh l447 h4X0r!!!11!! I pwnz j00!!!" I'll bet if they have any problems with their car/computer/TV/whatever they just buy a new one rather than attempt to repair the one they've got. It's easier than trying to fix anything and it allows for the smug feeling of a new whatever.

Yes, sometimes a factory image or a data reset is necessary. But to make that the FIRST and ONLY advice (with a side serving of arrogant sneering for good measure) isn't very helpful. Erasing is the coward's first move. It's choosing suicide to deal with a headache. Try some aspirin first before sending in Jack Kevorkian.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
You ever visit the threads of the carriers? Here in the U.S. it is AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc....they are littered with those types of threads from bad OTA updates. Call the carrier's tech support or even call the manufacturer and the first thing they do is tell you to do a factory reset. The reason they do this is because 90% percent of the time it fixes the problems. There is nothing wrong with doing some troubleshooting beforehand , but why waste countless time on an issue that may get fixed be a simple reset? Only after trying a reset and the issue(s) is/are still there should you put that kind of effort into it. A lot of times threads are people posting an issue that someone has already posted and there has been no resolution but to reset, as you so have acknowledged. Most people here are willing to help if they can. Then there are those posters that seem to post these big long posts while netting no advice or resolutions. Wink wink.

blissfullydirty

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm having quite a few issues/gripes:

- I'm noticing some lag (more than 4.2.2).
- Noticeable stuttering/lag when opening Google Now. Was never there in 4.2.2.
- Widgets aren't working properly for me. I'm using Power Toggles (or something) and the buttons would stay lit/unlit the whole time. E.g. I press the Wi-Fi button but it would still stay unlit although Wi-Fi is turning on. The same thing happens with the Google Play Music widget. The functions work properly but they don't display what their supposed to display.
- I've also had two random reboots when I was opening apps...
- Video recording won't stop after I take a photo from the video (tapping the screen while video recording). I have to press the back button for it to stop.
- I think the issue with focusing while on HDR mode is still there but it's more responsive than when it was in 4.2.2.

Other than that I think I'm noticing better battery life and I'm liking the new camera UI. I just hope Google addresses these issues quickly. :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo