What should I get?

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I tell you what; go on thinking the Nexus 5 is significantly faster. I guess seeing a video by Jerry that shows one instance of it performing faster and latching onto that as gospel makes more sense than accepting the fact that he explicitly said in the same article that the Moto X "drives Android as fast or faster than the "superior" hardware in the Nexus 5." I've proved my point.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the speed difference between the Moto X and the Nexus 5 is very important. If you're running a game in which that speed difference means a lot to you then okay, but you'd be in the minority of users me thinks. There's a reason the Moto X is such the popular phone.

G Pad 8.3

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the speed difference between the Moto X and the Nexus 5 is very important. If you're running a game in which that speed difference means a lot to you then okay, but you'd be in the minority of users me thinks. There's a reason the Moto X is such the popular phone.

G Pad 8.3

Agreed.

If you're on Verizon, you also just got KitKat on your Moto X first. It's rolling out today. Look forward to seeing how much better it makes the phone.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
It is a popular phone for reasons that have nothing to do with it's speed.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
We're talking about actual performance of the phone and you dismiss actual video showing performance of the phone as unimportant.

You do realize arguing about the video when it's author wrote in no uncertain terms that it's just as fast, if not faster, than the Nexus 5 is ridiculous, right? I want to make sure you're aware of that because it's hilarious.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
You do realize arguing about the video when it's author wrote in no uncertain terms that it's just as fast, if not faster, than the Nexus 5 is ridiculous, right? I want to make sure you're aware of that because it's hilarious.
Actually, it's not. What the author wrote is his opinion. What the video shows is objective fact. Despite Jerry saying "the fact is..." followed by a bunch of things, that cannot be established as fact without objective, verifiable testing. But you're right though, it's hilarious. The hilarious part is when a reviewer's own video contradicts his own statement.

By the way, may I ask why it's so important to you to prove that the Moto X is as *fast* as the Nexus 5? Saying a phone isn't as fast as another doesn't mean that it's a worse user experience. The key part of user experience is not the specs or the tests or even the reviews. It's the user. A phone may well be objectively not as fast as another and still provide for a better user experience because of the way the individual users use their phones, how the phone is optimized for different processes, etc. Your argument would be much stronger, IMO, if you could let the speed thing go and keep it on the Moto X's strengths, of which there clearly are many. It is not necessary to prove superiority (or at least, lack of inferiority) in every aspect for you to justify your perfectly valid choice.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It is a popular phone for reasons that have nothing to do with it's speed.

Precisely. You guys (or gals) are spending all this time talking about something that is vastly important to the majority...and that is the speed DIFFERENCE between the Moto X and the Nexus 5. The Moto X is fast enough that it largely doesn't matter that my Nexus 5 is faster. A Bugatti Veyron may be faster than a Porsche GT3. For most people that just doesn't matter...even folks that are auto enthusiasts and its not just because the Bugatti is vastly more expensive, its because the Porsche is just durned fast enough. An analogy that may...or may not assist.

G Pad 8.3

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Precisely. You guys (or gals) are spending all this time talking about something that is vastly important to the majority...and that is the speed DIFFERENCE between the Moto X and the Nexus 5. The Moto X is fast enough that it largely doesn't matter that my Nexus 5 is faster. A Bugatti Veyron is faster than a Porsche GT3. For most people that just doesn't matter.
That depends on who you ask. If I was shopping for a phone, speed would matter to me. I would want to know this stuff.

And then there is futureproofing. I have learned the hard way from previous phones that something that is "good enough" today can become "poor" 6 months or a year from now. Not all of us can afford to upgrade every six months.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
By the way, may I ask why it's so important to you to prove that the Moto X is as *fast* as the Nexus 5? Saying a phone isn't as fast as another doesn't mean that it's a worse user experience.
THIS.

No one is saying the Moto X is a crappy phone. Everyone agrees it is great. Even people who prefer the Nexus 5 (and that is not just me).

Your argument would be much stronger, IMO, if you could let the speed thing go and keep it on the Moto X's strengths, of which there clearly are many. It is not necessary to prove superiority (or at least, lack of inferiority) in every aspect for you to justify your perfectly valid choice.
People are allowed to have their own opinions. We are discussing the relative strengths and weakness of specific smartphones, not judging people on their choices.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
That depends on who you ask. If I was shopping for a phone, speed would matter to me. I would want to know this stuff.

And then there is futureproofing. I have learned the hard way from previous phones that something that is "good enough" today can become "poor" 6 months or a year from now. Not all of us can afford to upgrade every six months.

Aaaah, but we're only talking about the DIFFERENCE in speed between the two. Not whether one is fast and one is slow. You have two very fast phones. I don't think one is less ready for the future based on its performance than the other. You seem to disagree. That's good.

G Pad 8.3

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Actually, it's not. What the author wrote is his opinion. What the video shows is objective fact. Despite Jerry saying "the fact is..." followed by a bunch of things, that cannot be established as fact without objective, verifiable testing. But you're right though, it's hilarious. The hilarious part is when a reviewer's own video contradicts his own statement.

By the way, may I ask why it's so important to you to prove that the Moto X is as *fast* as the Nexus 5? Saying a phone isn't as fast as another doesn't mean that it's a worse user experience. The key part of user experience is not the specs or the tests or even the reviews. It's the user. A phone may well be objectively not as fast as another and still provide for a better user experience because of the way the individual users use their phones, how the phone is optimized for different processes, etc. Your argument would be much stronger, IMO, if you could let the speed thing go and keep it on the Moto X's strengths, of which there clearly are many. It is not necessary to prove superiority (or at least, lack of inferiority) in every aspect for you to justify your perfectly valid choice.

I'm not concerned about the Moto X overall versus the Nexus 5. I've already made my case on that in a separate thread. Jeff made the comment that the Nexus 5 is "significantly faster" than the Moto X. I told him he's wrong. That's it.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not concerned about the Moto X overall versus the Nexus 5. I've already made my case on that in a separate thread. Jeff made the comment that the Nexus 5 is "significantly faster" than the Moto X. I told him he's wrong. That's it.
Yes. Not "I disagree", but "you're wrong".

Because your opinion apparently matters more than mine.

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
The point is, you can't use a device in store and make a "real world comparison". Nor do any of the stores I've been in have both phones side by side for you to make a real world comparison. As well as, most people don't own both devices (other than professional reviewers like AC, CNet, etc) So most people must resort to reading reviews online make their own conclusions on a device.
That, and the most important factor is.....EVERYONE uses their phone differently, so overall results are going to vary tremendously.

tap'n

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Not "I disagree", but "you're wrong".

Because your opinion apparently matters more than mine.

Yes. You're wrong. I don't mind telling someone who hasn't used or doesn't own the phone that they're wrong when it comes to this. Especially considering you've actually pointed to benchmarks like they matter in this specific discussion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress