AT&T LTE Speeds

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
How are people's LTE speeds on AT&T. If pretty good, can you share your APN settings and maybe your location.

I'm just using the default "phone" APN setting that was enabled when I put in my sim. Somehow, I don't think I'm getting the same type of LTE results I've had w/prior phones on AT&T (no, I'm not mistakenly on HSPA, 3G, etc.). I used to get some kick-ash speeds in certain nearby locations, but I haven't been able to duplicate those as of yet on this device.

IDK, maybe device-specific, maybe my imagination. Thanks for any input.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: AT&T and LTE

I feel ya. I got lower "H" speeds on my Nexus 5 than the 4G LTE on my G2. You may even want to reach out to AT&T and have them verify that your line is still configured for the most LTE of LTEs you can get on their LTE.

Last edited:

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site

I am on at&t and at IAD Friday (Washington Dulles Airport) I got 45Mbps Down / 1Mbps Up and today at MIA (Miami International Airport) I got 30Mbps Down / 8Mbps Up.

Which is about what my colleague sees on his GS4.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

knowimagination

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

I have been wondering about this too, I had an iPhone 5s and I would see speeds of 20-30 regularly. Now with my Nexus 5 it shows I am on LTE but I haven't seen over 8.

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

On LTE on AT&T, my Nexus 5 gets 32 to 25 Mbps downloads and upload speeds of 17 to 25 Mbps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Compared to my other phones (HTC One X and Lumia 920), the LTE speed on my N5 is comparable. Speed tests show my LTE speed ranges from 6mbps down to 40 mbps down depending on which tower I connected to.

In the past, AT&T is known to give iPhone data traffic priority over any other phone in a congested network. Not sure if it still is true on LTE networks (my friends iPhone 5 shows roughly the same speed as mine at the same location).

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

Service providers also change their cell towers that effects your service. That is what happen to me when AT&T built a new tower in another area and sold their old one that was giving me a much better signal.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

What are the LTE APN settings? Differnt from the HSPA+ I take it.

It used to be that LTE requires PTA APN instead of Phone APN for HSPA+. But now, all new AT&T LTE phones use Phone APN. So there is no longer a difference in APN. N5 comes with Phone APN. It works fine with LTE (I tested both Phone and PTA and can't tell a difference). You just need make sure your data plan is LTE provisioned.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

It used to be that LTE requires PTA APN instead of Phone APN for HSPA+. But now, all new AT&T LTE phones use Phone APN. So there is no longer a difference in APN. N5 comes with Phone APN. It works fine with LTE (I tested both Phone and PTA and can't tell a difference). You just need make sure your data plan is LTE provisioned.

Simple enough! Thanks for the reply my friend! I was wondering how it worked. Vermont JUST had LTE added last week and they are still working on it. I just got used to having it so I would like to remain using it! Good to know there are no hoops to jump through.
Thanks,
CJ

dylan808

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

i am right on the outskirts of my cities LTE coverage so i've been getting an average of 12Mbps down and 4Mbps up.

knowimagination

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

Did a test today at lunch and my N5 came up with pretty much same speeds as my wife's iPhone 5, so maybe it was all in my head and my LTE is working fine.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

The server closest to where I've had some of my fastest LTE speeds on other devices no longer appears in the speedtest.net app since getting my N5. I'm guessing that could have something to do with slower speeds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

mandoman28

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

I am in Chicago and my LTE speeds have never been that good, like in other cities. It did not change with the N5, still about 3 down and 1.5 up. I am mostly on WiFi anyways!

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

How are people's LTE speeds on AT&T. If pretty good, can you share your APN settings and maybe your location.

I'm just using the default "phone" APN setting that was enabled when I put in my sim. Somehow, I don't think I'm getting the same type of LTE results I've had w/prior phones on AT&T (no, I'm not mistakenly on HSPA, 3G, etc.). I used to get some kick-ash speeds in certain nearby locations, but I haven't been able to duplicate those as of yet on this device.

IDK, maybe device-specific, maybe my imagination. Thanks for any input.

You could have these blazing fast Sprint LTE Speeds........
Screenshot_2013-11-22-19-00-34.jpg

But seriously.. I am looking at getting a AT&T Go Phone prepaid card to test out their LTE speeds... I live in Dallas Texas and it was one of Sprint's "LTE Launch" cities and the very BEST I've seen is roughly 8 mbps down.... A few friends with AT&T get better overall coverage and usually around double what my best speeds are... Sprint's LTE coverage is so spotty it's not even funny... How they could even call Dallas an LTE market with this kind of horrific coverage.... and It's been over a year since they announced LTE... At least with the N5 my pick up is a hair better than with my GS3........

and this speed test was run while outside in a parking lot surrounded of a major shopping area in a very BUSY part of Irving, Texas right off 635 one of the busier highways in the area (not deep inside a bunker)..... No excuse for speeds this bad...

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

I am in Chicago and my LTE speeds have never been that good, like in other cities. It did not change with the N5, still about 3 down and 1.5 up. I am mostly on WiFi anyways!

Where in Chicago u located? I'm in Chicago also and I get these speeds
ququza8u.jpg

Sent from my LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)

jss2

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

I have the AT&T GoPhone service. I've done a speed test on LTE once every couple of days. My best is 46Mbps down and 18Mbps up. More typically, I get 20-30Mbps down and 8-18Mbps up. This is all in the west of Boston area (between 128 & 495).

All in all, very happy with AT&T speeds and coverage. Similar or better than Verizon's network (which I was using until a few weeks ago).

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I have the AT&T GoPhone service. I've done a speed test on LTE once every couple of days. My best is 46Mbps down and 18Mbps up. More typically, I get 20-30Mbps down and 8-18Mbps up. This is all in the west of Boston area (between 128 & 495).

All in all, very happy with AT&T speeds and coverage. Similar or better than Verizon's network (which I was using until a few weeks ago).

AT&T has a 14 day money back thing on their regular service.... With my corporate discount it's actually cheaper than GO Phone (Since my N5 is directly from the play store I don't need a contract) with 6 GB of Data and unlimited talk & text.. with my corporate discount the unlimited talk, text and 2 gig data plan is like $37.50 so I might just have to go with their 14 day deal and see how much better their service is here in Dallas vs Sprint.. Sprint is just horrible.. still amazed Dallas was an LTE "LAUNCH" city and their coverage can be so freaking spotty and slow....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez