Do you use Hangouts for SMS?

Do you use Hangouts for SMS?

• Total voters

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I thought an informal % would be interesting.

Do you use Hangouts for SMS as your default SMS app, or have you switched to something else? Also, why?

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I use hangout a fair bit and it fits in nicely. I just believe it runs smooth e.g. I like the swipe across to go I to the list of texts etc.

It feels simple, very clean. The only thing I dislike is searching for names sometimes it shows their email too but I guess when its integrated with Google+ that's expected yo happen.

I just like it over the stock one on my nexus 4.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes. There are a lot of sms features missing and a few things I wish were different. But I'm trying to like it and want to stick it out for a few more days until I decide install Handcent, as I did with every other device I have had.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I can't get into it. I use ChompSMS because I like the Popup quick reply.. Also the replying from my lock screen. Hangouts just doesn't allow this :(

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

fauxreal

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
it lacks a lot of features and then has a bunch of stuff i dont even like or need. using textra. mms works. photos work. group message works. very fast.

R8J8D

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 and want to use " only " Google apps etc , however I have 2 problems with Hangouts
1 It does not recognize my contacts
2 It does not give me a choose in the menu to send a sms or a Hangouts message
I am very disappointed .

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 and want to use " only " Google apps etc , however I have 2 problems with Hangouts
I am very disappointed .

People were trying to figure all that out in a thread from early November and I'm pretty sure they did but not everyone likes Hangouts.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Edited:

Hangouts is a bit clunky, in that when I scroll down my list of contacts and select a contact to send a text message to, it defaults to their email address and I can't change it to their phone number. In order to send a text message, I need to search for their name, then select their phone number.

Not a huge deal, but a little cumbersome.

Last edited:

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Yep, I use Hangouts for SMS. I should say though that I think SMS is an imperfect messaging platform, and I'm not particularly a big fan. I much prefer using Google Hangouts for messaging over data rather than SMS at any rate.

ybcthanerd

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I am very disappointed .
i have a note 2 and my contacts appear jus fine
and to choose between a hangout or a sms i jus choose a google+ contact or a phone contact

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez