Amber Alerts

jeffreymo

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Last night I awoke to the sound of a womans voice coming from my phone. Turns out, it was tied in with an Amber alert, and the phone was actually "speaking" the alert to me. Does anyone know of a way to turn the voice feature off, yet still recieve the alert itself?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Wireless & networks-More>Cell broadcasts​, and uncheck "Speak alert message."

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Did you get your Nexus 5 directly from Google, or from a wireless company? I wonder if the wireless companies modify it.

I thought the carriers were not allowed to modify it. Perhaps I was wrong thinking instead of right thinking. Mine is Google bought and T-Mobile activated (I came off Sprint).

One way to know for sure if his Sprint Nexus 5 DOES have modifications, Sprint absolutely would shove "Sprint Zone" onto it. So if that is installed, the carriers are tampering (or at least Sprint is, and if they do, they all probably do).

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I thought the carriers were not allowed to modify it. Perhaps I was wrong thinking instead of right thinking. Mine is Google bought and T-Mobile activated (I came off Sprint).

One way to know for sure if his Sprint Nexus 5 DOES have modifications, Sprint absolutely would shove "Sprint Zone" onto it. So if that is installed, the carriers are tampering (or at least Sprint is, and if they do, they all probably do).

They're not allowed to and I'm pretty sure they don't

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if maybe it's some sort of Accessibility setting, since Text-to-Speech is located there--however, there isn't a way to turn Text-to-Speech on or off. On my Nexus 5, I only have one "Preferred Engine" listed, which is Google Text-to-speech, and I can't uncheck it. Maybe if you have more than one engine, it has to be Google Text-to-speech? Check Settings>Accessibility>Text-to-speech output.