Nexus 5: I messed up 2 screen protectors

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I can't watch that first video. To brutal trying to scratch a expensive device like that. The second one however is very informative.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for cross posting. But I will quote what I posted somewhere else.

It's not worth trying to put on a screen protector. I wasted 4 out of 5 of mine left and I ended up scaring my poor old Grandmother as I went berserk but no matter what I did it had dust and looked like crap even doing it in the bathroom using a steamy shower. My Nexus 5 will be in a TPU case but screw the screen protector.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I got this case before I got my phone
http://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Mat...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3629702
Its after with the scare of sand crap scratching gorilla glass made me nervous I got the crappy screen protectors and then my stress level went up trying to apply them and yes I watched all the videos, read the websites and still I get dust.

The brownstone house I live in was build in the late 1800's and dust is terrible. I wipe my electronics and the next day it is full of dust again. Not worth it.

BTW all my friends and family's phones have no screen protectors on them and they are fine.

Last edited:

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Last one ruined today count 7. Heck I had one left anyway. Even wetting it at the same time wetting the speaker on the top thank goodness the water I hope did not ruin it I made some calls and heard the receiver fine.

Wow the screen is so much more response without one. Scrolling my contacts is easier.

Anyway I beat this topic to death. Thanks for all the advice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I know I am a glutton for punishment but I bought this screen protector last week with all the scares about sand and other crud scratching the screens yet all my friends and family have no screen protectors on there devices they go everywhere with them and have no scratches at least I think so or they don't care.
Amazon.com: [HD CLARITY] Invisible Defender - Nexus 5 Screen Protector Premium HD Crystal Clear Film with [3 PACK/Lifetime Replacement Warranty] High Definition Clarity Film The World's Best Selling Premium EXTREME CLEAR Screen Protector for Goog
Went to install it after I took a shower and I put on clean cloths. I then steamed the bathroom and even let it set for a few minutes after. Cleaned the screen as much as possible then applied the screen protector and right away 4 speck dust particles. Took it off washed it and still dust so I threw it away.

I also bought these screen protectors at the same time.
Amazon.com: Anker? Screen Protector for Google Nexus 5 [3 Pack] Xtreme Scratch Defender Ultra-Clear High-Response Premium with Lifetime Warranty: Cell Phones & Accessories
Again I did the same thing steamed the shower and applied it and you guessed it dust mainly in the corners. Had to keep trying to get it even and got it on the best I can but there are still dust particles underneath about 4 or 5 but not the hard dust. I can live with the defects as unless I go and buy one at Best Buy and have them put it on for $7.99 which I might do I will just live with it.

So to end this the steamy shower method to prevent dust is a bunch of bull it works maybe 1% of the time the only time with my Nexus 7 but with my many iPod Touches and my Nano 99% of the time it never worked there was always dust underneath it.

Last edited:

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I just ball out and spend the $20-$30 on invisi shield screen protectors. With the wet applicator and the squeege that comes with it, any dust particles get rinsed out when applicating. And you're done with it.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm not using a screen protector for now. But might get one after reading the comments here.
Be prepared to get frustrated trying to get it on right and if your house like mine has a lot of dust then good luck to you. The steamy shower method has little effect in preventing dust. I know it would be worse putting it on in the living room though.

The thing is none of my family and friends use them and they have not complained about scratches. They take there phones everywhere with them. They do however all use cases though.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Be prepared to get frustrated trying to get it on right and if your house like mine has a lot of dust then good luck to you. The steamy shower method has little effect in preventing dust. I know it would be worse putting it on in the living room though.

The thing is none of my family and friends use them and they have not complained about scratches. They take there phones everywhere with them. They do however all use cases though.
Since the last time you had 4 dust particles, have you tried using regular scotch tape to remove the dust? My friend's house is pretty dusty as well, but with a bit of patience, the scotch tape ought to remove the dust.

You really shouldn't be running water over a regular plastic screen protector if it isn't a wet-apply one.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: I messed up 2 screen protectors.

I don't want to try no more screen protectors. My question is yet again with its gorilla glass do I really need a screen protector?

I did not have one on either of my Nexus 5's (I have two). No scratches yet.

Screen protectors will only really protect from small stuff. If you drop your phone on edge it will not stop it from cracking. Might still be worth it if you're not careful with your phone. I treat my phone like I would a child though...so I don't get scratches. Sand, rocks, and metal will scratch it for sure. Even gorilla glass. But usually not deeply enough to notice at a glance. Sand especially can be bad because you might not notice it till it has already left marks. Gorilla Glass is not a magic solution. It's an improvement, but it is not invulnerable.

If the screen protector degrades the picture anyway (and all of them do to some degree IMO), is it really worth it? Thats my reasoning...the cure is worse than the disease. I'd rather just take my chances and be careful with my phone, and actually enjoy the display.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Since the last time you had 4 dust particles, have you tried using regular scotch tape to remove the dust? My friend's house is pretty dusty as well, but with a bit of patience, the scotch tape ought to remove the dust.
Tried that removed 2 and 4 more show up remove 4 and 3 more show up. I wasted 3 hours on one and I was screaming and angry so bad I actually felt sick.
I now accept a few dust particles as long as it not the hard circular dust that can cause bubbles and black spots on the screen.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I don't want to try no more screen protectors. My question is yet again with its gorilla glass do I really need a screen protector?

Unless your playing around constantly in sand you shouldn't really need a screen protector... I remember on my EVO 4G (4 years ago) I couldn't go without and eventually after a year and a half I stopped using one and when I upgraded to the EVO 4G LTE I just went naked on the screen... After a year I traded that for Galaxy S3 and left it naked... My Nexus has been naked since I got it in November and there isn't a single scratch on it.... The EVO LTE had one small tiny scratch you could only see if the screen was off and you actually searched for the thing.. When I sold my GS3 it had the same thing.. a small hair line scratch on it that you could only see with the screen off and if you cleaned the screen spotless and LOOKED for it....

There are times when I think my Nexus has a scratch and then I wipe the screen with a paper towel or a lens cleaning wipe and there is nothing there...

That doesn't mean you won't scratch your screen... a tiny piece of sand in your pocket could scratch it up pretty good.. but for the most part your keys, change and even nails are not going to scratch your screen (at least not easily) a hard enough impact from anything metal could chip the glass but a thin screen protector would do little to stop that from happening anyway..

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

When I got this phone I said Gorilla Glass no screen protector then all this crap about sand scratching anything I bought them and of course I have a hard time applying them. I am just going to leave the one I have on now as it does not have much dust on it.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

Unless your playing around constantly in sand you shouldn't really need a screen protector...

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but not everyone is like you. Some people can screw up boiling a pot of water. I've seen new-ish phones with scratched screens, and these people didn't play in the sand. Ever. It happens. Just because it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it's not possible. Besides, it's cheap insurance, "just in case". If you don't want to use one, that's fine, it's your phone. But not everyone is as careful as you.

Anywho, I want MAXIMUM resale value about 9 months from now, and putting a screen protector on it insures that the screen will be 100% flawless. I haven't even touched the back of my phone yet. (without a case) Yeah, I'm anal/OCD about my phone, but that's just me. I realize a lot of people aren't.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Tried that removed 2 and 4 more show up remove 4 and 3 more show up. I wasted 3 hours on one and I was screaming and angry so bad I actually felt sick.
I now accept a few dust particles as long as it not the hard circular dust that can cause bubbles and black spots on the screen.

If you lived around the corner from me, I'd show you how I do it, and maybe it would help. But, I can't. If you can live with air bubbles/dust, that's cool. I sure couldn't. One time a couple years ago I had a screen protector on but it had 1 tiny speck of dust in the corner. It gnawed at my brain until one day I ripped it off until I got it perfect. Mind you, I had 10 protectors to work with, so it didn't matter if I screwed up a couple. But I now have it down to a science, and the folks at the phone store having nothing on me. Perfect every time. I could probably put one on during a sandstorm in the Sahara Desert. ;)

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but not everyone is like you. Some people can screw up boiling a pot of water. I've seen new-ish phones with scratched screens, and these people didn't play in the sand. Ever. It happens. Just because it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it's not possible. Besides, it's cheap insurance, "just in case". If you don't want to use one, that's fine, it's your phone. But not everyone is as careful as you.

Anywho, I want MAXIMUM resale value about 9 months from now, and putting a screen protector on it insures that the screen will be 100% flawless. I haven't even touched the back of my phone yet. (without a case) Yeah, I'm anal/OCD about my phone, but that's just me. I realize a lot of people aren't.

First off I said you "SHOULDN'T" I didn't say you DON'T need a screen protector... Sand and Diamonds are the most likely items to scratch your screen as glass in generally harder than any metal out there... I say sand because if you have a pocket full of diamonds then... Well you don't need to worry about how much it cost to buy a new phone.... and you don't have to be playing in sand... Sand is everywhere......

Also later in my same post I wrote that "doesn't mean you won't scratch your screen"... Some times crap happens and there is nothing you can do about it... I dropped my Nexus just this past weekend and it landed screen first on the concrete ground... I was scared to even pick it up and when I did nothing... It actually survived..... but my heart skipped a beat for a brief second....

As for maximum resale value after 9 months...... That probably going to be more dependent on the market for the device your trying to resell and who is out there wanting to buy it...

I was OCD once too.... Worried and worried about my screen.. and when I finally said F it and went without one I was still obsessed with cleaning it and checking it every few minutes.... After a while MOST people will realize it's just fine.... but your right some people can screw up a wet dream so for those people bubble wrap, duck tape and screen protectors....

Igneel

May 12, 2014
Visit site

Is Gorilla glass resistant to scratches? I got my N5 for a week only and this is my first time having a gorilla glass phone. For now it has no scratches.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

Is Gorilla glass resistant to scratches? I got my N5 for a week only and this is my first time having a gorilla glass phone. For now it has no scratches.
According to Robbie317, you don't need any protection. You'll be fine without a screen protector/case. ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non