Signal strength question

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
On my N5, it is telling me time without signal has been about 30% over the last six hours. However, when I look at the battery graph, the signal indicator is almost fully yellow, with only a hair thin bit of red, and a little green.

I usually get an LTE signal of one to two bars. Around 98 to 110 dBm and 30 to 40 asu. 3G is usually around three or four bars. 85 to 100 dBm and around 10 asu. This is at my home on AT&T.

I haven't been in one place all day, so I don't know where there wasn't a signal. Could the time without signal be time without an LTE signal? I ask this because if I had no signal at all, wouldn't the battery graph have much more red?

Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
It's my opinion the time without signal calculates incorrectly. I get wonky numbers when I don't loose signal very much either.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
It's my opinion the time without signal calculates incorrectly. I get wonky numbers when I don't loose signal very much either.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help. Good to know it isn't just me.

Do you happen to know which GPS option is actually best for battery life? Right now I have it set to device only, but have been wondering which setting actually uses the least battery.

Location reporting and location history are off. I really don't use many apps that require a lot of location data, either. I rarely use Maps, and the only other services that usually requestion location are things like Google Play Services and whatever browser I am using.

Would the GPS by itself use more battery than mobile networks and WiFi? What if I'm not connected to WiFi or have a weak signal? Would that affect the impact it has on the battery?

Sorry to ask a question like this, but I thought it would probably be better than starting a whole new thread.

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
GPS will use more battery than just wifi/mobile data, so use the Battery Saving mode (which only uses wifi/mobile data). If you don't have wifi or mobile data on, you just won't get a correct location - - but it shouldn't impact battery.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
GPS will use more battery than just wifi/mobile data, so use the Battery Saving mode (which only uses wifi/mobile data). If you don't have wifi or mobile data on, you just won't get a correct location - - but it shouldn't impact battery.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

I'll try that setting. The problem I have with it is wakelocks. If battery saving mode is on, there seems to be a lot more wakelocks.

When I turned device only on, it seemed to have pretty well fixed that problem. I'm not sure if battery saving mode was the direct cause, but I'll have to check it out some more.

Thanks for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress