Why is my Nexus 5 rebooting constantly every 4 secs?

Amol Dumrewal

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
Nexus 5 is rebooting constantly every 4 secs...

My device was working fine, but suddenly my screen went blank(device turned off without any warning), an then thinking that it must be off I tried switching it back on but in vain. There was no response from the device. After these failed attempts I plugged it into the charging port and since then it is coming to the Google Flash screen(the one before the bubble animation) and then switching back off within a sec. I tried going to the Boot screen but in vain coz I dnt get enough time to select even Power off or any other option. Please suggest What to do...I went through a few forums but could not decide what to do finally. And i need my Nexus 5 back to proper woorking as soon as possible without any data being erased

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to AC.☺

Do you have reason to believe that the battery may have failed? It sounds to me as if that may be a possibility.

What happens if you try to boot into Recovery?....That is, with the device powered off, long-press the Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously?

Posted via the Android Central App

Amol Dumrewal

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 is rebooting constantly every 4 secs...

I go to the start screen(booting options) and then even before i press the volume key up and then press the power key , the device switches off and then starts again to the google screen.

CFri

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site

I'm having the same issue with mine. It will boot up all the way occasionally. After about 20 minutes when I go to use the phone again, I push the power button to turn the screen on and the power off option comes up like I had long pressed the power button. About 5 seconds after that happens the phone shuts off and reboots and does so every 5 to 10 seconds for about 5 tries, then it stops until I try to turn the power on again. It started doing this last Wednesday and has gotten worse to the point that I have not been able to get it to boot completely in the 45 minutes.

Shargeel Kiani

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site

Guys its a power button hardware issue, which is quite common in nexus 5, i had the same issue, i took my nexus to the repair shop and they replaced the power button and tht issue ws resolved.

Posted via the Android Central App

sdchris

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

Shargeel is correct. I had the same issue but opted to hit my power button on my leg a few times. It seemed to do the trick. If it crops up again then I'll go get it fixed.

Mohammad Arshad

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

I was about to ask this same question, so I wont start a new thread with due Apologies to Amol. My situation is slightly 'different' but more or less the same.

I bought a used Nexus 5 from a shop here in HK. The phone worked fine for the first few hours and then when I came home and installed a couple of apps, the phone went insane and kept rebooting every 10-20 seconds.

So I did what this guy does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g4gXoSNh3Y i.e. repeatedly tapped the power button till the phone was completely booted up. And once it did, I did a complete factory reset and installed everything again.
So for the moment, the reboot loop issue has gone.

However, around 10-15% of the time the phone decides to shut itself...so it means something is still not right. I read online that people are having similar issues with Lollipop and are blaming the bugs in OS. So how can we know for sure whether there is something wrong with the phone or there is a software issue?

I am tempted to return the phone as its still under the warranty period, however its possible that it works 100% when the store clerk checks it. So I am not sure what to do.

Please advise.

Abhinav Deshpande

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Mine started doing the same a few days back.

I hard booted (Power + Lower Vol Button) it multiple times (may be 3-4 times).
And it started working but the problem reoccured after sometime.
This time I hard booted again. And then restarted in safe mode once and then a normal restart.
It worked. and its working just fine now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch