How exactly do I activate on verizon?

Shenron

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
currently on a gnex with micro sim.
Went to vzw store to get a nano they said i need the phone with me.
Called customer care they are shipping me a nano sim, but told me i will need to go online and enter the sim card and imei number

Will i be able to activate the nex 6 this way or will online activation deny me??:mad:
:mad::mad:

so damn complicated

I'm in the same boat although I'm still waiting for my N6 from Motorola. From what I've read you should be able to just cut down your micro sim from your Gnex and pop it into your N6. Verizon only whitelists at the customer service level but not at the network level.

That is what I'm planning to do until Verizon starts selling the N6. Once that happens, then I'll activate the nano sim they sent me and activate online with the IMEI. At that point they should recognize the IMEI numbers from Moto and Google (hopefully).

Posted via the Android Central App

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat although I'm still waiting for my N6 from Motorola. From what I've read you should be able to just cut down your micro sim from your Gnex and pop it into your N6. Verizon only whitelists at the customer service level but not at the network level.

That is what I'm planning to do until Verizon starts selling the N6. Once that happens, then I'll activate the nano sim they sent me and activate online with the IMEI. At that point they should recognize the IMEI numbers from Moto and Google (hopefully).

That should work as well.

lukejwalka23

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Copied from my post on the Motorola forums...

You won't be able to obtain a Verizon nano sim from a corporate store without the phone in question with you. Because it's a Nexus 6 and they aren't selling it, they won't provide you one still even when you bring in the phone. HOWEVER... I still found a way earlier today to get a fresh sim and AND get it activated. I shall explain below:

As stated before, you have a 99.99999% chance of being told "no" on a nano sim request from a corporate Verizon store. I am lucky enough to have a mix of corporate and "verified" Verizon retailers near my neighborhood that allowed me to test out some things. As mentioned earlier (again) by @pmhesse, I too was told no at multiple corporate stores and had to get a nano sim overnighted to me from Verizon customer service. Me being the impatient person I am, I couldn't live with having my phone for 2+ days with no real use outside of wifi, so I hit some "verified" shops to test my luck there. I call these shops verified because they're usually the smaller brick and mortar Verizon carriers that will (sometimes) sell other cell phone carrier's phones and service plans. Bottom line, if they're selling a Verizon phone and can offer you a contract, they will have the sim cards available to them (minus the limitations to distribute them like a corporate store would). This was all in theory until I proved it anyway. The first "verified" seller I went to was ready to give me a nano sim for a small price ($5) after I explained to them what was going on. Seeing as I knew a closer store to my home that was another 3 or 4 minutes up the road, I declined the offer and went there instead. After giving them the same story of trying to obtain just a sim to use in my new phone I was "planning to receive," the second store provided me a sim free of charge (after looking up to see if they were supposed to charge for it, first, which no one providing a Verizon sim should...technically).I told both stores I was "planning to receive" the phone because they, just as the corporate store said earlier, needed the phone to match the IMEI number to the sim for activation. There was no point in me bringing them my phone when I already knew what the outcome of trying to activate it on my Nexus would bring about.

So, that was just OBTAINING the sim card. I still had to call customer service and jump through hoops to get the sim activated for my current line on Verizon which I will explain next:

Let me start off by saying that most Verizon CS reps are devoid of any knowledge of the Nexus 6 or how exactly to get the phone working on their network. The first rep I talked to asked for my Nexus IMEI number, saw that it was an unknown device, and quickly shut me down on my quest to get the sim to work. I would not be denied, and after telling her again and again that I needed just the sim activated, she decided to transfer me to a "Motorola phone rep." Long story short, I ended up on the phone with some Greyhound bus station after trying to navigate through some unknown automated menu she transferred me over to. I can't tell you how pissed I was, and upon calling back to CS, I was ready to Release the Kraken! The gods had shown favor to me for this next call, as I was connected to a young man that not only knew what the Nexus 6 was, but was currently using the Nexus 5 and trying to decide to upgrade to the 6 or Moto X 2. He had not done an activation of the Nexus 6 on Verizon, and after geek talk about having the phone and it's capabilities, went to work to try and get my new sim working. He ran into the same problem as the CS before, saying that the device showed up as an unknown in their system and that he would not be able to link the sim to the phone on their network. The numbers (MEID, ICCID) he took down from me for reference after inserting the nonworking sim were under Settings >>> About phone >>> Status. He, however, gave me an ultimatum that he would try that he said could work completely or partially; either the sim would only be 4G capable (data only) and I'd have to get another service to provide me cell service (as Verizon's call/text goes over 3G/1X connections), or we'd somehow get the sim to work. Maybe he was really trying to give me all avenues to get the phone working or just helping himself in his decision to decide on a phone, but I told him I had nothing to lose by trying whatever workaround(s) he could think of. Pretty much he activated the sim as if it were being used on my current Note 3 phone, and after whatever flip he switched or enabling he started, my Nexus phone (sim inserted already) flashed a LTE symbol on the connection bars. He then asked me to reboot the phone, which I did, and see if I could get some kind of data connection going. MIND YOU, I'm currently on the phone with him via my VZW Note 3 that I'm trying to switch the service from, so I wasn't sure if he'd be cut off during this whole process or not, but he never was. After the reboot, he asked me to open a browser and try to surf the web. Nothing. So he suggested a second reboot and cited that it sometimes takes a few minutes and few reboots for the network to pick up a newly activated sim the first time. Upon the second reboot, I saw 3G pop on the phone (informed him of that) and then switch over to LTE. It was at this time he told me to go to my "Cellular network" settings (Settings >>> More >>> Cellular networks) and switch it from Global (mine was set to it at least) to LTE. BAM, everything was a go then. He said that I probably wouldn't have call/text, but then I got a text from a friend. He tested it out by sending me a test text from VZW and I received it. He told me to try a call, but we figured that probably wasn't going to work since I was currently using the number to talk to him via my Note 3. After thanking him for the help, I got off the phone with him, put my Note 3 on Airplane mode, and my phone has been working flawlessly since.

Posted via my Moto Nexus 6 on VZW

greeknasty

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
^lord, either im going to stick it my gnex with an adapter and activate it or just cut my current. that just seems like too much work

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes as many have mentioned here already take your current phone and get a nano Sim from the Verizon store for it with an adaptor. Then when the N6 arrives just pop the Sim in and your good to go. I got lucky as the iPhone 6 I was using had a Nano Sim in it already just popped it in the new phone and was good to go never visited a store or online at all.

reb0957

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Have any of you tried tethering on Verizon? I have a more of everything plan and am just curious. I need the mobile hot spot from time to time

BigMattwithagun

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
So I've seen a lot of posting on here, regarding activating the Nexus 6 on Verizon. None of these posts say anything about this process for the new year, so I want to help out as much as I can.

I just purchased a 32gb Midnight Blue device, unlocked, from Swappa. I can confirm it works 100%, with a couple of alibi's. I've listed out the process you need for this to work, as it did for me ...

1. Purchase an unlocked Nexus 6.
2a. Call Verizon and explain you are looking to upgrade to ANY phone that accepts a nano sim (iPhone 5 or newer, Moto X, things like this - I said I was going to purchase a Moto X and wanted to make sure I had the sim prior to selling my Note 3).
OR
2b. Walk into a Verizon store, say the same thing and HOPEFULLY you'll get a helpful associate. I did finally get one to get me one as well, it took 3 different stores though. These sim cards are free, so be polite and understanding and hopefully you'll find someone who will help you out.
3. Once the sim is activated, which it has to be first (if you receive one thats not, call Verizon, say you need to activate it on your line and they will, for free (takes about 10 minutes), make sure the phone is off, pop the sim in and give the phone another 10 minutes or so for it to find itself on the network.
4. The phone will find the network as GLOBAL, which if you live in the USA, you'll want to switch it to LTE, as this will hep with MMS and regular texting.
5. The visual voicemail app does NOT work currently, as this device is not supported by Verizon. I removed the app from my account (login to your Verizon account and remove it) and I renabled the standard voicemail. You have to hold down "1" on the keyboard and enter your password (this old gag) but at least you'll get notifications of voicemail and you can still listen to them.

Other than that, everything is perfect. No issues with data or calling. The phone is snappy and responsive and looks great. It will show up as an unknown device when you log in to the Verizon portal (no big deal - apparently Verizon is going to finally carry this in February). Keep in mind, if youre also paying for the insurance, CANCEL it unless Verizon actually carrys the phone. I canceled mine only because if they dont carry it, they wont replace it. Youre wasting $96 a year, not worth it.

Hopefully this helps you all out and answers any questions you might have. Feel free to ask me if you have any others though. Good luck!

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
So I've seen a lot of posting on here, regarding activating the Nexus 6 on Verizon. None of these posts say anything about this process for the new year, so I want to help out as much as I can.

I just purchased a 32gb Midnight Blue device, unlocked, from Swappa. I can confirm it works 100%, with a couple of alibi's. I've listed out the process you need for this to work, as it did for me ...

1. Purchase an unlocked Nexus 6.
2a. Call Verizon and explain you are looking to upgrade to ANY phone that accepts a nano sim (iPhone 5 or newer, Moto X, things like this - I said I was going to purchase a Moto X and wanted to make sure I had the sim prior to selling my Note 3).
OR
2b. Walk into a Verizon store, say the same thing and HOPEFULLY you'll get a helpful associate. I did finally get one to get me one as well, it took 3 different stores though. These sim cards are free, so be polite and understanding and hopefully you'll find someone who will help you out.
3. Once the sim is activated, which it has to be first (if you receive one thats not, call Verizon, say you need to activate it on your line and they will, for free (takes about 10 minutes), make sure the phone is off, pop the sim in and give the phone another 10 minutes or so for it to find itself on the network.
4. The phone will find the network as GLOBAL, which if you live in the USA, you'll want to switch it to LTE, as this will hep with MMS and regular texting.
5. The visual voicemail app does NOT work currently, as this device is not supported by Verizon. I removed the app from my account (login to your Verizon account and remove it) and I renabled the standard voicemail. You have to hold down "1" on the keyboard and enter your password (this old gag) but at least you'll get notifications of voicemail and you can still listen to them.

Other than that, everything is perfect. No issues with data or calling. The phone is snappy and responsive and looks great. It will show up as an unknown device when you log in to the Verizon portal (no big deal - apparently Verizon is going to finally carry this in February). Keep in mind, if youre also paying for the insurance, CANCEL it unless Verizon actually carrys the phone. I canceled mine only because if they dont carry it, they wont replace it. Youre wasting $96 a year, not worth it.

Hopefully this helps you all out and answers any questions you might have. Feel free to ask me if you have any others though. Good luck!

First, thanks for the suggestion to go from "Global" to "LTE". I hadn't done that. I hadn't had any problems with MMS or SMS but, hey makes sense to me.

Second, why don't those of you that want Visual Voice Mail use Google Voice for Voice Mail until it is supported? It is so easy to use. It can come through Hangouts, the Google Voice app or if you'd like and want to set it up that way, you can use it through the native dialer's voice mail notifications. I use it and it works flawlessly. Until about a year ago, I refused to use Verizon's Visual Voice Mail because they charged for it and I could get it for free through Google Voice.

BigMattwithagun

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Glad to help my friend - I've noticed the switch from "Global" to "LTE" has made an improvement in the picture/video messages I've received. May not help all, but here in NY, it seems to have helped.

Regarding Google Voice, I'm just not as comfortable with it. Being an app from Google, it could lose support at any time, so I decided to just stick with the older method of retrieving messages. But yes, you can in fact use Google Voice. To each his own :)

BigMattwithagun

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Tethering works fine for me - See my post on here about activating if you have questions about that too. I enabled the hot-spot function, it did an account verification and boom - works like a charm.

mgftp

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Purchased a sim cutter for less than $5, cut my micro sim with it, put it in the Nexus 6, no dealing with Verizon....my Nexus 6 is working great on Verizon, and I am now a proud member of the Nexus 6 Master Race.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Have any of you tried tethering on Verizon? I have a more of everything plan and am just curious. I need the mobile hot spot from time to time

I have an unlocked Nexus 64 GB from Tmobile. When I activated on Verizon, I did a full factory data reset and my previously active Verizon nano sim recognized the device and activated quickly.

I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan and my Nexus is rooted with the bootloader unlocked. However, I haven't performed any additional modifications. I don't currently pay extra for tethering.

My native tethering works like a charm.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Purchased a sim cutter for less than $5, cut my micro sim with it, put it in the Nexus 6, no dealing with Verizon....my Nexus 6 is working great on Verizon, and I am now a proud member of the Nexus 6 Master Race.

I just hope this sort of thing continues and Google allows compatibility with Verizon for next year's model as well. It'll probably mean that I'll never by an actual phone through Verizon again.

I still can't believe Google was able to release a device compatible with all major North American carriers and they all agreed to allow the device it, passively or actively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress