It was a good five weeks!!!

Deputy1

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Love my Nexus 6. Got home last night and as I got out of my car......... I dropped my phone face down in my driveway. Had a Spidgen case on the phone, but to no avail. Screen shattered!!! I'm not one of those folks that can use my phone when the screen is cracked and jagged. So I went to T Mobile today and picked up the Note 4. Great phone. But I already found things that I miss from the Nexus 6. I plan on getting the screen fixed soon. Needless to say, I purchased the Otterbox case for the Galaxy. Expensive lesson.

Posted via the Android Central App

palandri

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
Newer phones are getting thinner and more fragile. I work construction and I have seen guys pull their new phone out of their front pocket at lunch to discover a broken screen. It's how they use to carry their old flip phone, but it doesn't work for newer phones.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Newer phones are getting thinner and more fragile. I work construction and I have seen guys pull their new phone out of their front pocket at lunch to discover a broken screen. It's how they use to carry their old flip phone, but it doesn't work for newer phones.

It's not so much that it's thinner, but that it has a full frontal glass display. newer phones really need a case that provides a substantial lip (not just 1mm or so) in order to offer any real protection if it falls face down.

And remember, if you keep your phone in your pocket, be sure it's with the screen to your body!

Deputy1

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I screwed up. I have never had a phone land square on its face. I knew it was going to be bad when it hit. Boy, was I right!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear it. I got square trade the other day for my Nexus 6. Unusually do not but got apple care for my 6+ and so decided to get square trade for my Nexus 6. Also using a Krusell leather sleeve which I like more than I thought I would.

Posted via my Nexus 6!

Last edited:

Deputy1

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm a slow learner. Insurance and a good case would have made the purchase of the Note 4 moot.

BlackDragon22

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I dropped my iPhone 5 face first onto a tile floor a few months ago. Thought I'd be fine with no screen protector/case that covered the edges of the screen. All I can say is thank goodness I had insurance on it.

(Just a tip: When buying a case, make sure the edges of the case overlap on the screen just a little to help "soften" the face first fall)

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Motorola will fix the screen for $175. They will even do an advanced replacement on it by charging a $500 deposit that you get back when they receive your old phone. You do not need to have purchased from Motorola.com to be eligible.

I had a Spigen thin case on mine and it slipped out of my pocket on Christmas and landed on the top front left hand side of screen where the case has no lip. I was sitting in a patio chair and this was a less than 2ft drop. I filed the claim on Saturday and my replacement shipped today due to arrive via FedEx before 1030 am tomorrow.

Deputy1

May 14, 2014
Visit site
That may be an option. I sent away for a screen replacement on Ebay. Hopefully, I can get it repaired using the new glass. If not, the Motorola repair is a great option.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
The glass is fused to the digitizer so it is not an easy job.

I don't even have the device yet, and the ability to repair it in case of a drop is a concern to me. Most third-party repair shops have parts for iPhones and Samsung devices on hand, because they're popular. I venture to think I'd be hearing a lot of "I can't help you" in regards to the Nexus 6. And if you do present with replacement glass, they're liable to charge through the nose because of how the glass is fixed. Sending my device away for repair and having to possibly wait weeks to use it isn't really something I prefer. I'd have to handle the device with kid gloves, I guess.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's not so much that it's thinner, but that it has a full frontal glass display. newer phones really need a case that provides a substantial lip (not just 1mm or so) in order to offer any real protection if it falls face down.

And remember, if you keep your phone in your pocket, be sure it's with the screen to your body!

This. I always keep the screen facing my leg.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I'll bring it by the local repair shop tomorrow. See what my options are. Pisses me off that I could be so stupid!

Good luck, hopefully they can help you out. Seriously, I hope that repair for this device will be supported locally in the coming months. I want this sucker; been going back and forth on it since the launch. I need to have that assurance that I can go repair it in case of a drop.

Deputy1

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Good luck, hopefully they can help you out. Seriously, I hope that repair for this device will be supported locally in the coming months. I want this sucker; been going back and forth on it since the launch. I need to have that assurance that I can go repair it in case of a drop.

I'll bring it in tomorrow. I'll keep you updated as to the status of the repair. I love the phone. Hope it's salvageable.

Deputy1

May 14, 2014
Visit site
No luck. The technicians said that to apply the glass onto the phone would require a degree of complexity that they could not guarantee the result. Regardless if that's a legitimate reason, I'm glad they told me before a repeat was attempted. Instead, I decided to return it to Motorola for $175. Not the result I had hoped for, but not too bad a price for a new phone.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
No luck. The technicians said that to apply the glass onto the phone would require a degree of complexity that they could not guarantee the result. Regardless if that's a legitimate reason, I'm glad they told me before a repeat was attempted. Instead, I decided to return it to Motorola for $175. Not the result I had hoped for, but not too bad a price for a new phone.

That's what I was afraid of. I'm sorry you had no luck. No, it's not a bad price; having to send your device away for at least two weeks, I guess you'd have to have a backup you can use. I still hold out some hope that repair will be supported by the time I get it in the spring, and certainly by the time should anything happen in the far future.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
That's what I was afraid of. I'm sorry you had no luck. No, it's not a bad price; having to send your device away for at least two weeks, I guess you'd have to have a backup you can use. I still hold out some hope that repair will be supported by the time I get it in the spring, and certainly by the time should anything happen in the far future.

iirc, Motorola has an 'advance exchange' program where they send you the replacement up front, the only difference being that you allow them to put a credit card hold authorization for the cost of the device (that charge only being applied if you fail to return the device being replaced within a period of time).

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
iirc, Motorola has an 'advance exchange' program where they send you the replacement up front, the only difference being that you allow them to put a credit card hold authorization for the cost of the device (that charge only being applied if you fail to return the device being replaced within a period of time).

Interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong... If your original device is in need of repair, you send it in and Motorola sends you a replacement unit while your original device is being repaired within a designated time frame. While using the replacement unit, a hold is placed on your credit card. Then, you return the replacement unit once your original device is in hand. Failure to return the replacement device will incur a full charge to your credit card. Does that cover it? If so, that's not a bad option.