Updated Google Camera

AaronTV

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
There was an update for Google Camera today that came with some nice improvements specific to the Nexus 5/6. Among them is improved HDR speed. Preliminary tests indicate the improvement is significant.

I'm only about a week into my Nexus 6 ownership but I'm really happy with this thing so far. Both battery life and Camera quality seem better to me than this phone generally seems to get credit for.

Posted via the Android Central App (Nexus 6)

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a camera nut, so I'm sure they listen to complaints and respond. I don't think the camera is as bad as some people say. Maybe those "Photogs" should get a dedicated DSLR if photos are that important.

dmlv

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone notice if it is launching quicker?
I had a n6 sold it...got a s6 mainly for the camera but just ordered another n6 for Fi and I missed pure Android.
The thing that bothered me with the n6 camera was not so much the pic quality...it was the lags and delays...

Posted via the Android Central App

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I had a n6 sold it...got a s6 mainly for the camera but just ordered another n6 for Fi and I missed pure Android.
The thing that bothered me with the n6 camera was not so much the pic quality...it was the lags and delays...

I don't think it's launching or focusing faster.

AaronTV

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site

It seems pretty quick to me (especially between shots) but this probably depends on what one is used to. My previous two phones were a Nexus 5 and Evo 4G LTE.

Posted via the Android Central App (Nexus 6)

Crest4

May 27, 2015
Visit site
I did not notice the camera loading faster but I do like the addition of the little bubble in the bottom right that shows the last picture that you took. Nice little addition IMO

alexcolka

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Indeed the HDR+ is really fast now, I also note a little better quality in the images taken too. They removed the manual exposure option... Why? They gave up on that bug? What about the new camera API? Is ti fully implemented now? Don't get my wrong I think this is a great update but questions remains. I always thought that the hardware of the Nexus 6 camera is great but it needs a better image post processing stock camera.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jfavellanedab

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Since that upgrade my nexus 6 did not turn off with less than 40% battery. It has been a great app camera upgrade ever since.

Posted via the Android Central App on Nexus 6

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The speed bump with HDR+ is quite nice... HDR+ takes awesome looking pics, but the speed was always a bit problematic as it reduced the conditions that you could use it. Being significantly faster now, HDR+ is that much more useful.

Some more things I've noticed:

- They got rid of the little animation when you have it in video mode and in portrait.... they should have kept that one... portrait videos are an abomination.
- The tendency to bounce focus during videos seems to be reduced. It would slide WAY out and back in slowly. It seems to do it quicker and without pulling it out of focus as much.
- The still focus seems improved. Goes about its business quicker.

Overall, a needed improvement. The bump in HDR+ speed makes it feasible to use it as the primary shooting mode and the video focus improvements reduce one of my biggest complaints.

Still needs some work. :)

1) more shooting customization and modes... Give us a burst shot... and give us full manual mode. The G4 has it, and even though the Nexus 6 has everything it needs to do it (camera2 api), we have to go to 3rd Party to get it.... well, fix exposure while we're at it.

Still... its almost at the point now where I don't have to fuss around with any 3rd party camera apps. GC is about 90% of what I'd need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codex_umbra