Google Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks

Christianthomas1992

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Okay so my Nexus 7 arrived and I love it, using a bunch of the tips posted on here!
One question, is there any way to play media from my Nexus 7 on my TV WITHOUT the use of an internet enabled TV or a Media device such as XBOX/ Playstation/ Wifi Bluray player?

Thanks!

johnwccres

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Okay so my Nexus 7 arrived and I love it, using a bunch of the tips posted on here!
One question, is there any way to play media from my Nexus 7 on my TV WITHOUT the use of an internet enabled TV or a Media device such as XBOX/ Playstation/ Wifi Bluray player?

Thanks!

I don't think so, but Jellybean 4.2 will support Miracast - Google that and see if you like the idea.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't think so, but Jellybean 4.2 will support Miracast - Google that and see if you like the idea.
Great idea, but still developing. I believe Phil and JR Raphael's reviews mentioned that NetGear "Miracast" devices didn't work with the N4 4.2 (pre-release version) due to the the device being "pre-standard compliant." I look forward to seeing compatible Miracast devices and TVs being available in 2013 (crossed fingers). It could be a long wait though.

mpower13

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying to find out the same thing. The Nexus Q will do it but that sucker is expensive.

You can easily stream music from the Nexus 7 with a cheap bluetooth adapter. Also if your TV is DLNA compatible you can stream media.

Thanks!

Christianthomas1992

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying to find out the same thing. The Nexus Q will do it but that sucker is expensive.

You can easily stream music from the Nexus 7 with a cheap bluetooth adapter. Also if your TV is DLNA compatible you can stream media.

Found very little information online, about doing it with rooted devices, I really don't want to root my shiney new gadget, it would be great to find out if there are any other options.

-hint hint-

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the answers all, one more thing, can you connect an external hard drive directly to a nexus 7 without connecting them both to a PC/ Mac?

I think you can do this using an OTG cable. I haven't tried this yet myself though. However, you may run into an issue if the Nexus can't supply enough power to the external hard drive.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

fuddster

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the answers all, one more thing, can you connect an external hard drive directly to a nexus 7 without connecting them both to a PC/ Mac?

I've done this successfully using a powered external drive prior to the 4.2 update on my rooted stock Nexus 7 using StickMount. It looks like 4.2 broke StickMount, though.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

castlefox

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure if this "tip" has been discussed already in this thread, but do not encrypt the data on your Nexus7 unless you are some type of paranoid spy.

When I encrypted by Nexus7 it was NOT buttery smooth at all and when I was doing simple things as typing, the table was not able to keep up. And if you want to turn off encryption you will need to factory reset and that I be a larger pain the butt than you think, (I forgot to back up my FinalFantasy gave file).

hellhole

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

here is what i tried before stickmount stopped working with 4.2
wd500g portable hhd.
usb hub with 2 thumb drive attached. both can read and xfer files back and forth.

one thing to note is that the n7 do not support exfat formatted hhd.