4.2 battery life

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
i have disabled google current, still not getting the battery power that i had with 4.2.......now i'm getting just 4 hours of average use....i don't play games but watch YOutube short clips and browse, facebook etc........very disappointed......i think it was a mistake to sell ipad 2 and buy nexus 7.

I dislike the fact that some people compare a $200 tablet to a $400 tablet. If you find the half-price so competitive, maybe you shouldn't be complaining. You would have gotten a Nexus 10 if you wanted better battery life. Also, disable all of Google's Location Services. Then make your Wi-Fi go off when your tablet sleeps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

shontrashi

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue. I use the battery monitoring app 'Battery Mix'. It showed me that my weather app 'The Weather Chamnel' was using most of my battery. I went from 2-3 days per charge to less than 1.

Once I removed the weather app I rocketed back up to 2-3 days per charge. Not sure if that helps you.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

thanks so much. I have downloaded the app "battery mix" and found out that "Launcher" is consuming up to 68% battery.......if i'm not wrong, it is preinstalled with Nexus as i don't remember i downloaded any launcher........
does anybody have an idea what "laucher" on the app list is ? can i disable it?
thanks.

shontrashi

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I dislike the fact that some people compare a $200 tablet to a $400 tablet. If you find the half-price so competitive, maybe you shouldn't be complaining. You would have gotten a Nexus 10 if you wanted better battery life. Also, disable all of Google's Location Services. Then make your Wi-Fi go off when your tablet sleeps.

i'm complaining coz i had a good battery life prior to the 4.2 update....and i know i'm not alone and it has nothing to do with hardware...it is purely software based .......i used to have solid 7 hours of browsing with 4.1 now it reduced to just 4 hours.....i have all the reasons to whine about .. ...

vicuvic

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello folks

I have a similar issue with my Nexus 7, and this happen from the last 4.2 update.
Basically seems that the battery estimation is shifted up, since after a full charge the device stay is 100% for hours when used and when reach 50% less or more, shut down and the battery load go down roughly.
battery.png

Does anyone had this issue, or some ideas to fix it?
Before with 4.1 it worked perfect, but I'd avoid a rollback.

Thanks
V.

caseybea

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
OK, I've been fighting this for weeks since 4.2 (and now, 4.2.1)- seeing "google services" really high up on my battery list-- where that really was nowhere near the top at all. I tried disabling currents, and lots of things, and finally-- disabling my location services completely fixed it (disabling currents did nothing for me....)

That was the short-term solution.

I then installed "Battery Mix" (great app!) - and then turned location services back on to hunt down the culprit.

In a day, I had my answer: HD WIDGETS. That one app was using something like 25% of my battery. And that was without any actual widgets on any screen! But the "default" battery app only displayed 'google services'... seeing WHAT is using the google services - i..e, location stuff, is the key. Other battery apps will most likely also help see the same thing.

SO.... in the end, in *MY* case, HD WIdgets was what was causing my issue-- the "locate automatically" setting is what I turned off in that one app-- and all is normal. My battery life and use is where I once had it before 4.2.

My final theory: That 4.2 and 4.2.1 "changed" how location services works when it's called from an app-- and in many cases, it's just fine. But in some cases, some apps no longer use location services uh, "correctly" and it's up to the app developers to fix the issue.

shontrashi

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Some suggesting disable Google current, some saying widgets are the culprit, then comes location service... ..use on airplane mood Etc etc....seriously if I can't use these services all the time, then what's the point of using tablet ?

aarora610

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Some suggesting disable Google current, some saying widgets are the culprit, then comes location service... ..use on airplane mood Etc etc....seriously if I can't use these services all the time, then what's the point of using tablet ?

They'll fix it. Jeesh.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

You can use these services all the time. You just have to accept the fact that your battery life will be somewhat less. Remember that your average mobile phone user has to charge by the end of the day, if not earlier, since he or she usually has mobile data and GPS on all of the time, with constant email, text, and social media notifications going on.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried the last resort, a factory reset? I know, pain in the butt, but not as much of a pain as you might think to restore everything. And it often helps after a system update, regardless of the device.

flux capacitor

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Downgraded back to 4.1.2. Screen is at 50%, WiFi is disabled on sleep.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354860718363.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354860718363.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 62

smartiekins

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Is there a setting that I can select to automatically turn WiFi off when it's in sleep? I'm rubbish at remembering to do it manually!

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Go to settings, Wi-Fi, click the "three dots" menu button in the top-right, select advanced, click "keep Wi-Fi on during sleep", select the option you want.

sandeep_s

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Try switching off Google Now. Doing that improved my battery life dramatically from 1 day to almost 3 days.

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Try switching off Google Now. Doing that improved my battery life dramatically from 1 day to almost 3 days.

This is why I dislike Google Now. It's really cool, but at the cost of most of my battery life.

dougf4

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I've uninstalled Weather Channel, Google Currents, HD Widgets Disabled 90% of my Play Store Apps from auto-updating, manually shut off wi-fi all the time, disabled location access and NFC, disabled Google Now and some other things I can't even remember.

All this just to try to squeeze 4-5 hours of battery life out of what has become a POC since the 4.2 upgrade. I used to easily get 8-10 hours of battery life with all those other things listed installed or running. So, now I have to not use features and apps that I enjoyed and found useful.

Google better man up soon and issue a fix for this boondoogle. This ignoring of the problem coupled with how they did the same thing with the shipping fiasco when the tablet was released seals the deal for me that their customer attitude is horrid.

What's the sense of having a recognized best in class machine that is crippled by the manufacturer via their doggy update?

I doubt I'll ever be buying hardware from Google again.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I am contemplating going back to 4.1.2 myself. Battery life is the least of my concerns anymore

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty