nexus 7 wont connect to public wifi... please help?!

lyndseyatthegates

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello, i am pretty new to all this stuff but i have searched and searched for an answer to try and sort my problem and had no luck.
So im hoping someone here may be able to shed some light!

I had a Nexus 7 for christmas, and for some reason unknown to me it isnt connecting to any public wifi, primarily i got it so i can use it at school and in my studio, but at both of these places it wont let me connect, and the passwords have been entered correctly. Several times! Ive tried disconnecting, restarting my tablet, forgetting and re putting in the passwords and it still comes up with Authentication Problem after a long try at connecting and authenticating...

Am i doing something wrong or is it a fault with the tablet?

All the answers and forums i have found have all referred to router setup and restarts, but i cannot adjust any of this as it is public.

Any help would be so very appreciated! :)

Also i have a samsung s2 which connects instantly to all these places with no problem, and the only place i can pick up wifi with my N7 is at home, which after many resets and rebooting my router it finally connected and continues to work well.

shona001

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem, I installed Wi-Fi fixer from the play store, and someone else told me that it was Chrome that was the problem and using Dolphin Browser instead would fix it so I installed that as well and now I can connect to any open network easily.

I don't know if it's the wifi fixer or the dolphin browser that has cured the problem but I'm not going to mess about with it now it's working.

balus3u

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
mine was stuck at 'getting ip address ' and I removed the network , searched for it again and in the advanced setting used static ip and filed those values and now it connects instantly

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Try turning off NFC. With the Jellybean 4.2.1 update, NFC is turned on by default. Go to Settings> more> and uncheck the NFC box. This has worked for many.

mtnbikerva1

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the same will not connect to WiFi issues also.
I will try turning NFC off and see if that fixes it.
WHAT GOOD IS A WIFI ONLY TABLET THAT DOES NOT CONNECT?
My iphone connects fast and no problems.
Even if the Nexus 7 connects sometimes it is extra steps.

gunshotlead

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Both Nexus 4 & 7 show sensitivity to certain WiFi Settings - for example; SSIDs with spaces in them or use of WEP/WPA/WPA2 - heck even the encryption password length can be a problem. If these items are not within your control, you may need to go elsewhere until you find a network where you can connect. If you can't, then and only then can you reasonably surmise that the hardware is faulty.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Henry Klapholz

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I called Nexus and the tech gave me a wonderful tip that actually worked. It is not posted anywhere that I can tell but this is it.
The recent upgrade to Jellybean has resulted in an incompatibility of several apps that interfere with the Nexus' ability to log onto public WiFi networks. The fix is as follows:
Start up the Nexus in SAFE MODE. Press and hold the power switch until a message appears to start in SAFE MODE. Press on that and let the tablet restart. After it restarts go to the PLAY STORE, select purchased apps and then upgrade all of them. Just allow each app to upgrade. It will take a few minutes and ask you for each one if you want to upgrade.
After they all upgrade shut down the tablet and restart it in regular mode. The tablet will then connect to WiFi as it had before the Jellybean upgrade.

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Do any of these public wi-fi sites require an 'agree to services' or 'sign in' webpage you must visit first? I'm thinking along the lines of Starbucks, many hotels or other similar public sites. Often, connecting to an applicable wi-fi does not automatically start up the browser or will go to the page. You may have to manually open the browser and type any active webpage address into it. This should force an auto-divert to the sign in webpage. Only then will the full connection to the internet occur.