Very Slow Startup Blank Screen for 20 Seconds Before Google Logo Appears

assadp

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Please help.

I bought 2 Google Nexus 7 for Christmas, one for my son and for my daughter.

The charger on one of them failed and the Nexus completely drained down, and this is where the problem started.

I would switch on in the normal way and nothing just blank screen (black), tried the hold power button for 30 seconds which worked. Until the next time we switched on and again blank screen.

After further investigations found the following, when the power button is pressed for 1 second the screen stays blank for 20 seconds before the Google logo appears and then the X appears and everything loads up and works fine, it does this every time you switch on.

The other Nexus when the power button is pressed for 1 second the Google logo appears within 2-3 seconds.

When comparing both Nexus?s side by side 1 takes 35 seconds to load up and the other one takes 55 seconds to load up.

Both are running the same apps and they have not been rooted or any hacks carried out.

Once both of them have loaded up, they run at the exactly the same speed in opening apps.

The problem is when you switch on and nothing happens for 20 seconds you don?t know if you switched it on properly, so you end up pressing the power button again, this is not such a problem for me but for a 9 year old it can be a bit frustrating.

I?ve done the factory reset a couple of times but still the same, seems a problem with the boot loader and not the operating system.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I don?t want to send it back if possible, it?s just over the 30 day return policy and was bought of the internet.

Regards Assad

Last edited:

assadp

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Just spoke to Google play and went through diagnostics and they confirmed there was a fault with unit.
New one being sent out and I need to return the faulty one within 21 days after the new one arrives.
I thought it was going to be a pain in the backside returning it because it was bought on 7th December (for Christmas) so it is nearly 8 weeks old, but its not too bad in getting a replacement nice one Google Play.
Regards Assad

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
You may have to follow up with them. Took a little more than 4 weeks to get my replacement. I think they turn it over to asus (just a guess) but you'll still only need to deal with google...

assadp

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
You may have to follow up with them. Took a little more than 4 weeks to get my replacement. I think they turn it over to asus (just a guess) but you'll still only need to deal with google...
They are sending a new one to me and once I get it then I have 21 days to send the faulty one back

assadp

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi received new one from Google Play.
This one is doing the same, it takes 20 seconds to show Google Splash Screen, surely it is not possible to have 2 devices with the same fault

assadp

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Just done the 4.2.2.update this has solved the slow startup issue.
No need to send this one back.
Also seems to run smoother than the 4.2.1 but this could be just in my mind

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress