When offline how quick is the GPS

Denis54

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I want a device I can carry when I travel abroad so I can read my travel notes or check where I am on a map.

My iPad 2 locates me almost instantly when I am offline but I find it too big and heavy to carry along all day

On the other hand, I find the screen of my Galaxy S2 too small and its GPS is very slow. On average it takes between 5 and 10 minutes before it locates me when offline.

A Nexus 7 would be a good compromise between size and weight. When offline, how quick is the GPS? Is it as slow as my S2?

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
My test results:

Opened GPS Test Plus app with GPS turned off.

Walked outside to the driveway, 2 story house on one side of me, about 20 feet away; various very tall trees semi-surrounding, approximately 50 to 150 feet away.

Turned GPS on within 10 seconds of walking outside, then referred to the GPS Test Plus app.

8 of 8 satellites located and in use within 12 seconds of turning on GPS, with accuracy reading within 50 feet. Accuracy was within 20 feet after 20 seconds.

An additional 2 to 3 satellites were located during the next minute as I walked a few feet further from the house, with 1 to 2 of those being used (they popped in and out).

Summary: Damn fast!