Nexus 7 (2012) stuck in "no command" bootloop

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
If you are having trouble with drivers then perhaps you might try using a Linux distro, as you don't need to worry about drivers on Linux. You can run many distros from a usb stick without installing them to your computer. I would suggest Ubuntu or something based on Ubuntu because they have the android tools in their repository which makes installing them easier. On Ubuntu, you can install adb and fastboot from the command line with the command "sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot". When using adb and fastboot on Linux you may need to prefix the commands with "sudo " to get them to work, the "sudo" command runs other commands with root privileges.

Posted via Android Central App

dh813

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
if its stuck in bootloop how do you check what version it was before the update error. ???????????????????????????????????

Bifster

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Well it took me most of the day but this method finally worked for me. (Wug's root toolkit)

I have a 2012 Nexus 7, non-rooted, 32g. I was finally able to unlock the bootloader & that seemed to do the trick.

Probably tried about 20 times before things kicked in though. Not exactly elegant & probably a little lucky.

Given the issue with having Asus hardware & Google software, they better figure out better support. Having things with 1 vendor is better - 1 throat to choke :)

Thanks for the links & suggestions.

markeayers

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
DaVoodoo Post22

You saved Christmas! I bought 3 - 32g Nexus 7 2012 refurbs for my kids from Newegg, 20 min after unpacking and charging, two were bootlooped. The third I just hadn't updated yet or I'd had 3. These were fresh stock locked devices so obviously this is a Google problem. After a whole day of searching there web for a solution, yours was the one that fixed it. Thank you for sharing! Now I know all about hacking a Nexus, THANKS GOOGLE!! I did have to unlock the devices to get the flash done, but whatever. Its better than a bricked device. I followed the instructions on installing the drivers very carefully before I tried the flash as well. The only issue I have now is how do I get the Nexus to show up as a device listed in My Computer again? I erased all my previous Window's drivers beforehand as instructed and now I can't move files onto or off by computer.

Last edited:

Bugside

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Please help

I followed the indicated steps and I'm back at 4.3.

The thing is now it says that "the system is up to date", so no over the air, and when I try to flash the 4.4.2 through ADB or through the Nexus Toolkit it says "Signature verify fail"

How do I get to 4.4.2? Should I use Nexus Toolkit to Flash Stock + Unroot and pray for an OTA?

thank you for reading

CRynard

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Holy Mother of Gawd....thanks to this page I have my son's tablet up and running on Xmas day. It took me a while to get it done but thanks to all the smart people here to point me in the right direction!

bluenycom

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Mine also stopped at step 6. It just tell me to go to system to reset to factory. However, when this is done, it would just go back to the boot loop and back to where I was as if I never erased anything.

ferluna

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I also managed to fix my Nexus 7 2012 Wifi using Wug's Nexus Toolkit. ( I assume this toolkit will work with Nexus 4,7 and 10 as it is a unified toolkit.) NB: As you will flash stock you will loose all your apps and settings. At least it is better than being stuck with the "No Command" screen.

1. Download and install Nexus Root Toolkit v1.7.8: Nexus Root Toolkit v1.7.8 | WugFresh
2.. Connect to PC and Boot in Fastboot Mode: VOL DOWN + POWER ON
3. In the toolkit, under "Back to stock" tick "Soft-Bricked/Bootloop"
4. Click "Flash Stock + Unroot"
5. When done you will have a working Nexus again. I thought I was going back to stock and would have to install 4.4. But ended up with 4.4. . :D

I hope this helps someone else.

This worked great, mine was in ICS and got semi-bricked with the OTA update getting 4.3, it did not work the first time because the bootloader was locked. Just clicked UNLOCK and it worked fine, ended up with 4.4 ... my kid is happy again.

bluenycom

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
This worked great, mine was in ICS and got semi-bricked with the OTA update getting 4.3, it did not work the first time because the bootloader was locked. Just clicked UNLOCK and it worked fine, ended up with 4.4 ... my kid is happy again.

Did not work for me. Tried to UNLOCK, but part of this procedure is a reboot. However, once it's reboot, it's right back to where I was, LOCKED.

Trekker

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I also have a Nexus 7 wi-fi (original version), stock rom but rooted. When I did the system update, I also got the error, followed by no command prompt. Stuck in bootloop. I had TWRP installed but could not get back into it.

I was able to recover to my 4.3 version without losing any data. I used Nexus Root Toolkit version 1.8, selected "advanced utilities", under "flash zips" I selected "file already on SD card" and then under "boot temporary" I selected "custom recovery." It booted into TWRP and I was able to restore from one of the backups I made.

I think I'll hold off on the update for now until there is a safe method to do so.

Jermaine Scott

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
YEAH YO I TRY TO FULLY REBOOT MY PHONE AND IT SAYS NO COMMAND THEN WHEN I TURN IT ON ITS THE FOUR COLORS MERGING FOR HOURS GOOGLE FIX THIS PROBLEM PLEASE (Nexus 4)