Running Flash well on KitKat?

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Those of you whom have 4.4 KK on your N7 2013......can you fun flash as good as 4.3 on any browsers? If so which browser works just as good with 4.4?

I want to hold off on updating to 4.4 if flash will be a problem. I use it quite a lot daily. Hope that the browser devs will tweak fast to make flash continue to work well.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Flash is broken across all browsers & platforms with KitKat. It appears to work with Puffin but that is because the Flash is executing on Puffin's servers, not using the locally-installed apk.

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Man this is not good to hear. I really do not want to get the OTA and install it now until I hear someone has KK working with flash on their tablet and not off a browsers server.

Shout out if you can make flash work with the side loaded flash file in any of the browsers that have always worked.

heeemz

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Done update to kitkat earlier today, all looking good so far except flash

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Shout out if you can make flash work with the side loaded flash file in any of the browsers that have always worked.
I can confirm it no longer works on Firefox, though I rarely used it. Tried reinstalling the apk, and a newer apk that was said to work. No joy. I'm betting flash is dead with standard Android. No great loss.

Hammer

heeemz

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Lost access to star TV India channels, the website requires flash to play videos. 😬

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, how come Flash doesn't work on the new Android updates? Anyone know?

This is what it says on Dolphin browser developer's website (https://dolphinbrowser.desk.com/cust...ayer-?b_id=317) --

The Adobe Flash Player is no longer compatible with Android 4.4 Kitkat devices. Some critical APIs have been removed from Android 4.4 Kitkat that all browser cannot activate the flash player. We are working on to provide better video playing experience.

heeemz

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
This is what it says on Dolphin browser developer's website (https://dolphinbrowser.desk.com/cust...ayer-?b_id=317) --

The Adobe Flash Player is no longer compatible with Android 4.4 Kitkat devices. Some critical APIs have been removed from Android 4.4 Kitkat that all browser cannot activate the flash player. We are working on to provide better video playing experience.

Surprising that Google removed functionality used by many websites...

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Surprising that Google removed functionality used by many websites...

They may be trying to put pressure on websites to change over to HTML5 or other modern protocols. Stinks for the consumer right now, but it would be good if that transition was made.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Broken link above... Here's a valid url: https://dolphinbrowser.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1365883

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Why would Google not let us use flash?

The first issue is with Adobe, which long ago ended support of Flash on mobile devices. The complaining really began when the default browser was changed to Chrome on Android, which does not support Flash at all, and then people had to get flash other ways, and use other browsers. Now it seems that Flash is broken or blocked altogether, and the reasoning isn't clear. So the biggest issue is Adobe not supporting it, and websites not switching to HTML5 or other supported solutions in light of the lack of support, but it still ends up being frustrating for consumers when the reality of the situation leaves them not able to view content they want.

Android_1234

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
The first issue is with Adobe, which long ago ended support of Flash on mobile devices. The complaining really began when the default browser was changed to Chrome on Android, which does not support Flash at all, and then people had to get flash other ways, and use other browsers. Now it seems that Flash is broken or blocked altogether, and the reasoning isn't clear. So the biggest issue is Adobe not supporting it, and websites not switching to HTML5 or other supported solutions in light of the lack of support, but it still ends up being frustrating for consumers when the reality of the situation leaves them not able to view content they want.

I downloaded flash from Adobe on 4.3 and it worked, Google now blocked it so it won't work.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded flash from Adobe on 4.3 and it worked, Google now blocked it so it won't work.

From what I'm finding, Google didn't block it, they just changed the web engine to Chromium from the older AOSP, device wide. I haven't found anything that indicates that Google sought to block Flash, it's just completely unsupported now. And frankly I can't blame them for not investing a bunch of time to support something that isn't theirs, and isn't supported by Adobe. It's bad for stability and security.

Personally, I just bought the Puffin browser just in case I need to use a site with Flash.

heeemz

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
From what I'm finding, Google didn't block it, they just changed the web engine to Chromium from the older AOSP, device wide. I haven't found anything that indicates that Google sought to block Flash, it's just completely unsupported now. And frankly I can't blame them for not investing a bunch of time to support something that isn't theirs, and isn't supported by Adobe. It's bad for stability and security.

Personally, I just bought the Puffin browser just in case I need to use a site with Flash.

How is the performance with puffin browser? I understand that flash is processed on their server, if so - would this work slower for users who are in farther regions or countries which doesn't have puffin servers?