Nexus 7 2013 will not register on PC after latest upgrade

abullbar

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi my Nexus was recently upgraded to the latest version the other day,now my PC refuses to recognize it--or should I say it is the other way around as I have tried with two desktops and a laptop,I have tried various cables just to be sure and when I plug it in the drivers are never successfully loaded.I have followed all the advice on the forums.Developer debugging on/off ,storage MTP,PTP and every article I could find that is related to this problem,I think the only option is now to reset to factory settings and ignore any more updates.
I have been sitting in front of PC now 3 days in a row but never succeeded in even getting close.Anybody else with this problem ?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I dont think a factory reset will remove a system update. Maybe the computer needs updates to catch up to the nexus?

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
This is due to your device id changing and not being listed in the driver file -

First - make sure you have the updated USB drivers from here: Google USB Driver | Android Developers

If you have the updated usb driver and its still not working, then it is very likely the device id issue that I mentioned at first. To fix this you need to edit the drivers .inf file to update the device id.

Step one: With the tablet plugged into your computer, go to device manager in windows and find the nexus 7 on the list, right click on it, and click "Properties". Go to the "Details" tab, then in the "Property" drop down box, select "Hardware Ids", in the box below the dropdown you will see some values. Right click on the first value (it will be something like "USB\VID_18D1&PID_D002&REV_0228
") and click copy.

Step two: locate the directory where you installed the usb drivers and find the file called "android_winusb.inf", open that file, it should open in Notepad. In that file there are two entries for the Google Nexus 7 that look something like this:

;Google Nexus 7
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E40
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E42&MI_01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E44&MI_01

You're going to add an additional line to both of those sections of the file including the device id you copied in step one the line you add should look like this:
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, [paste the value you copied in step one here]

So for me, my device id is USB\VID_18D1&PID_D002&REV_0228 so when I get done both of the nexus 7 sections of the file will look like this:
;Google Nexus 7
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E40
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E42&MI_01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E44&MI_01
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D002&REV_0228

Then save the file, go back to device manager, right click on your nexus 7 and click "update driver", locate the folder where you have the android_winusb.inf file and install. Should now work.

Let me know.

abullbar

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi This is what I get USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE1&REV_0228
MTP USB Device--Always comes up with driver not successfully loaded This device cannot start. (Code 10)
When I change to PID I get USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE5&REV_0228
when I to to usb Debugging enabled USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE2&REV_0228&MI_01
The only time nexus 7 comes up on driver manager is when I start with USB debugging enabled I also get MTB portable device also
when I search for" android_winusb.inf" I get no results ?
when I go to hardware id=USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE2&REV_0228&MI_01
When I get the yellow mark on device manager I go to update driver and I point to my desktop where I have the correct driver with the device id added as in your tutorial then it goes to android composite interface in device manager with everything ok and with driver version 8.0.0.0.
When I turn off developer mode it reverts back to mtd device with the yellow asterisk-when i change PTP to MTP Nexus 7 comes up in device manager briefly then reverts to mtd with yellow asterisk--where would I find the drivers as I think it is loading a generic one when I do a search for "android_winusb.inf " I get zero result

Last edited:

abullbar

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi This is what I get USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE1&REV_0228
MTP USB Device--Always comes up with driver not successfully loaded This device cannot start. (Code 10)
When I change to PID I get USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE5&REV_0228
when I to to usb Debugging enabled USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE2&REV_0228&MI_01
The only time nexus 7 comes up on driver manager is when I start with USB debugging enabled I also get MTB portable device also
when I search for" android_winusb.inf" I get no results ?
when I go to hardware id=USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE2&REV_0228&MI_01
When I get the yellow mark on device manager I go to update driver and I point to my desktop where I have the correct driver with the device id added as in your tutorial then it goes to android composite interface in device manager with everything ok and with driver version 8.0.0.0.
When I turn off developer mode it reverts back to mtd device with the yellow asterisk-when i change PTP to MTP Nexus 7 comes up in device manager briefly then reverts to mtd with yellow asterisk--where would

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NK01UK