Why do I hear tapping sounds after I touch the screen?

JohnJSal

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that I'm not crazy. It seems like after I tap something on the screen, about a second or two later I hear a quiet tapping sound from my Nexus.

I do have sounds for screen taps turned on, but it's not the normal tap that I'm referring to. It happens after that and it's much quieter, but still there. It seems to go away if I turn off screen tap sounds.

It's almost like an echo of the actual tapping sound, or like it's "sticking." Maybe even a hardware thing.

So does anyone know what I'm talking about and what this tapping is supposed to be in response to? And is it possible to stop it but still keep screen tapping sounds on?

Thanks!

JohnJSal

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, the Nexus is brand new and I noticed it immediately, so I doubt it's the cache partition. I had hardly done anything with it yet.

JohnJSal

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
It's new from Amazon.

I've listened more closely and here is what I've discovered: after I tap the screen and it makes the default "tapping" sound, I put the speakers to my ear and I can hear an extremely low static sound coming from the speakers for about 1-2 seconds, sort of like white noise, and then it "clicks" off. I am not able to hear this static sound unless I put the device close to my ear, but it is this "clicking sound" that I was hearing before and that I referred to in my original post.

To me, it's like the speakers are remaining "on" after being used, and then after a second or two they turn "off," and it is this turning off that produces the very low clicking sound.

Can anyone else try this and see? Tap the screen to make a noise, then put the speaker up to your ear for a couple of seconds and see if you hear the static and the click?

Thanks.

JohnJSal

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh I see. Brand new, or refurbished?

See if it persists in Safe Mode:

I haven't tried this yet, but based on the website you linked, it sounds like this is meant to diagnose problems with third party apps. I was hearing this noise before I had downloaded anything.

Edit: Hmm, I made a much longer post before this one but it said it needed to be moderated. Hopefully it appears soon.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
It's probably the "pop" sound of the speakers being activated/deactivated when called upon to produce the normal touch sound.

When you click something and have sounds turned on the speakers activate then a split second later the normal click sound is produced and then a second or so after they shut off. Sometimes you can get a device that has a speaker that's a little "noisy" when turning on and off.

It's like on an old wired speaker system on some of them you could hear a pop noise when power was sent to/ shut off from the speaker by the actual tuner.

Almost all of my devices do this to some extent, some much worse than others.

JohnJSal

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
It's probably the "pop" sound of the speakers being activated/deactivated when called upon to produce the normal touch sound.

When you click something and have sounds turned on the speakers activate then a split second later the normal click sound is produced and then a second or so after they shut off. Sometimes you can get a device that has a speaker that's a little "noisy" when turning on and off.

It's like on an old wired speaker system on some of them you could hear a pop noise when power was sent to/ shut off from the speaker by the actual tuner.

Almost all of my devices do this to some extent, some much worse than others.

That seems to be it exactly. I got a replacement and it's much quieter.

Ironically, the replacement refuses to give me the 5.1.1 OTA. Meanwhile, the messed up device already has Marshmallow. Too bad I'm sending it back!

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
That seems to be it exactly. I got a replacement and it's much quieter.

Ironically, the replacement refuses to give me the 5.1.1 OTA. Meanwhile, the messed up device already has Marshmallow. Too bad I'm sending it back!

Funny you should mention ota updates.

I just decided to start the process of updating my n7 from 4.4.4 with the hopes of getting to marshmallow and after a few consecutive updates it is now stuck on 5.1 (build LMY470) and wont go any further. LMY470 is a rather old build it seems. Every time I check for updates it just says it's up to date already although I am only on 5.1. What gives?

JohnJSal

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Funny you should mention ota updates.

I just decided to start the process of updating my n7 from 4.4.4 with the hopes of getting to marshmallow and after a few consecutive updates it is now stuck on 5.1 (build LMY470) and wont go any further. LMY470 is a rather old build it seems. Every time I check for updates it just says it's up to date already although I am only on 5.1. What gives?

Exactly the same for me. It's frustrating that the exact same device (with the sound issue) upgraded immediately to 5.1.1 and about a week or so later got Marshmallow as well. And the good device seems stuck at 5.1! :-(

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Exactly the same for me. It's frustrating that the exact same device (with the sound issue) upgraded immediately to 5.1.1 and about a week or so later got Marshmallow as well. And the good device seems stuck at 5.1! :-(

Yeah I don't get it. I thought all nexus 7's had gotten marshmallow by now. I guess I'll just wait a a little while and see what happens.

JohnJSal

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I don't get it. I thought all nexus 7's had gotten marshmallow by now. I guess I'll just wait a a little while and see what happens.

Guess what! I got the notification that 6.0.1 is ready to download and install! It totally skipped over 5.1.1! Hope that isn't a problem.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Guess what! I got the notification that 6.0.1 is ready to download and install! It totally skipped over 5.1.1! Hope that isn't a problem.

Yup, I just got it too about an hour ago. It just finished the install and I'm ready to start playing around now. I have no idea what happened buy apparently our serial numbers were last or held back for some reason. It doesn't make sense though because the build number that I was on is from an old lollipop version from April. I know there were several updates between now and then, I mean 8 months, come on. Weird all around how it took a while to show up and then just jumped all the way forward to 6.0.1, but I'm glad I got it.

JohnJSal

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Yup, I just got it too about an hour ago. It just finished the install and I'm ready to start playing around now. I have no idea what happened buy apparently our serial numbers were last or held back for some reason. It doesn't make sense though because the build number that I was on is from an old lollipop version from April. I know there were several updates between now and then, I mean 8 months, come on. Weird all around how it took a while to show up and then just jumped all the way forward to 6.0.1, but I'm glad I got it.

So there's no harm in skipping everything in between? Will we even get those improvements?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
An update just basically reinstalls the os from scratch I think so we have the same 6.0.1 as everybody else. Essentially the updated os completely supersedes the previous version and there are no improvements to gain or lose by skipping os versions.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
The tapping sound is a setting

Posted via the Android Central App
It's in other sounds, touch sounds. I turned it off on mine.
1bbbbb6f3ae208d7fe1b2f3b966c71a2.jpg

7fa9715c11c0aecb6228a76e95ba1bc5.jpg