Battery Life Thread

cyndie1030

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm out of the loop and scared to read through 16 pages. Can someone give me the info on the gservicefix?

It's an app you get from the Playstore. You need to run it with your phone plugged in, at 100% and with WIFI and Location GPS enabled. Then it asks you to restart your phone. The Dev told someone else it will work best if you do that for 3 days. I did it for the first time this morning and could see an improvement with my battery life, similar to what I was getting before the 8.1 update.

Last edited:

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah for whatever reason dev said 3 times might be necessary even tho most seem to be good with once. Can't hurt to try, nothing to lose and don't forget to enable your wife. :D:D:D

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
It's an app you get from the Playstore. You need to run it with your phone plugged in, at 100% and with WIFE and Location GPS enabled. Then it asks you to restart your phone. The Dev told someone else it will work best if you do that for 3 days. I did it for the first time this morning and could see an improvement with my battery life, similar to what I was getting before the 8.1 update.

Sounds nice but also kind of scary. Has anyone figured out what this is actually doing?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Apparently in my google search quest in looking for answers as to how this app works the only thing I've found so far is most believe it is merely a placebo and really does nothing. I believe it is supposed to stop wake locks that disturb your phone under the hood while it is in sleep mode mostly.
The app is going on 4 years of age and maybe made more sense back in the day but with the more modern 8.0.x.x OS it may in fact be no help what so ever. This is my 4th day on it and while my battery seems improved I'm not at all sure if it isn't just the 8.1 update finally settling in a bit better. I've been keeping track of SOT and battery left over at the end of my day so I can have something to compare it with when I remove the app to check for any differences one way or the other. So to me, it seems to help but my jury is still out as far as a final verdict as to it's value. YMMV as always.

EDIT:This is the best explanation I've found so far. It seems back in the day it was useful and now who knows? A lot can change in the way our devices handle battery demands in 4 years. http://www.product-reviews.net/2014/05/25/google-play-services-battery-drain-fix/

Last edited:

cyndie1030

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Yeah for whatever reason dev said 3 times might be necessary even tho most seem to be good with once. Can't hurt to try, nothing to lose and don't forget to enable your wife. :D:D:D

I only caught that type when I read your post and laughed my butt off. I fixed it now, though.

steve cooper

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
We shouldn't have to download an app(that no one knows what it's doing) or do a factory reset to get good battery life on a $900 phone. I am now getting less than 5 hours SOT on my pixel 2 XL after the 8.1 update(was getting over 6 hrs SOT before update). I hope Google addresses this with the next update or I will be very disappointed in this phone

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
We shouldn't have to download an app(that no one knows what it's doing) or do a factory reset to get good battery life on a $900 phone. I am now getting less than 5 hours SOT on my pixel 2 XL after the 8.1 update(was getting over 6 hrs SOT before update). I hope Google addresses this with the next update or I will be very disappointed in this phone

I've been holding off on the 8.1 update for this exact reason. A 15% drop in battery life is unacceptable for how much I paid for this phone.

dennis246

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm out of the loop and scared to read through 16 pages. Can someone give me the info on the gservicefix?

I just posted this in the other Battery Life Thread. See below, gservicefix is the real deal!

"I installed gservicefix yesterday and the result is unbelievable. Battery life is now not back to 8.0 level but WAY BETTER. Not enough time to fully assess the change but so far the drain is extremely slow. I followed the instructions for the app once and it worked (apparently some do it up to 3 times).

Small rant: Some people are saying that this can't work, that its a 4 year old app, not updated or something like that. My opinion is this, battery drain in MANY (not all but many) Android phones over time is well known. I think gservicefix addresses the root cause of Android battery drain which really hasn't changed in the past 5-6 years. Overnight or idle drain was always a problem for Android.
Hardware has changed dramatically, software appearance has changed a lot but current core functions of Android are similar to those in the past.
gservicefix works, period. No need to update or change something that works well and this app is proof!. If it starts to act up or the drain reappears I will update this post but for now count me as a fan."

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I just posted this in the other Battery Life Thread. See below, gservicefix is the real deal!

"I installed gservicefix yesterday and the result is unbelievable. Battery life is now not back to 8.0 level but WAY BETTER. Not enough time to fully assess the change but so far the drain is extremely slow. I followed the instructions for the app once and it worked (apparently some do it up to 3 times).

Small rant: Some people are saying that this can't work, that its a 4 year old app, not updated or something like that. My opinion is this, battery drain in MANY (not all but many) Android phones over time is well known. I think gservicefix addresses the root cause of Android battery drain which really hasn't changed in the past 5-6 years. Overnight or idle drain was always a problem for Android.
Hardware has changed dramatically, software appearance has changed a lot but current core functions of Android are similar to those in the past.
gservicefix works, period. No need to update or change something that works well and this app is proof!. If it starts to act up or the drain reappears I will update this post but for now count me as a fan."

After reading the posts about this app and then seeing it was last updated years ago I laughed. Then the posts kept coming. I was convinced it was all a big conspiracy, a bunch of the developers friends had banded together to sell me on an app that was going to steal my data from Google and sell it to the Russians.

But the positive reviews kept coming so here I am, charging to 100% to run this app and see if it works. If not, I guess Putin can figure out what to do with my Amazon shopping history data.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
After reading the posts about this app and then seeing it was last updated years ago I laughed. Then the posts kept coming. I was convinced it was all a big conspiracy, a bunch of the developers friends had banded together to sell me on an app that was going to steal my data from Google and sell it to the Russians.

But the positive reviews kept coming so here I am, charging to 100% to run this app and see if it works. If not, I guess Putin can figure out what to do with my Amazon shopping history data.

Please keep us updated on whether it works.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Glad some people are getting good results with Gservice fix. I've revised my opinion to meh.
I'm getting around 1 hour SOT for every 20% battery life. So the most I've ever seen so far for SOT is 4 and a half hours and down to 10% battery at that, and that's no video, just some web browsing and emails, calls and texts. Not super impressive and definitely noticably less than pre-update. So , I'm dumping the app and see if it's any worse or not, guessing it will be the same, maybe better, we'll see.
Battery life complaints are all over the web like stink on s**t, so very widespread and hopefully Google will get us a fix. Not gonna hold my breath waiting. I still can get thru a day and that's the bottom line IMO. But any beyond that or a heavier than usual day and I'll be needing a charge.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
With 8.0 just browsing the web & apps on wifi mostly, changing a few settings, tweaking themes and the such, maybe a short phone call - I'd get 1 hour of SOT with 8% battery usage. After 8.1 that went down to 10-11%. This is with GPS, NFC, BT on and a bunch of things syncing.

I did the gservices fix twice and now I'm back to 1 hour of SOT time with 8% usage for primarily wifi browsing and stuff.

When I'm out and about I'll keep an eye out for SOT time when doing stuff like navigating, streaming music to the car, and browsing off of wifi, etc...

sselemanrm

Oct 16, 2017
Visit site
I do believe gservicefix is also doing some magic for my pixel's battery as well. I didn't notice much for about 3 days then an improvement started to become evident. FWIW, I ran it 3 times as recommended as a possible need by the dev. 3rd time seems to have done it.

is gservice fix a one time thing you do, or do you have to do it everytime you 100% your battery?

smallindiana

Nov 12, 2017
Visit site
I was a fan of the gservice fix but after a week my battery was back to being pretty sickly. I FDR'd and have been setting up my device for the last 15 minutes and havent lost a percent. Seems silly to have to FDR after a major update but I finally gave in.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
is gservice fix a one time thing you do, or do you have to do it everytime you 100% your battery?

Supposed to be a one-time thing, however, it didn't really work that well for me after trying it for several days. I removed it. Back to nothing and the battery seems unchanged, still not like before the update but about the same as with the app installed. No idea why it seemed to work so well for some and not for others.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I tried the gservicefix a few times and nothing.. Then all of a sudden yesterday I got 6 hours of SOT on the smaller pixel2. And I've never seen that before.. Now I'm at 2 hours of SOT with 77 percent left. Not sure if that 8s what did it but it's a welcomes surprise. Haha

dennis246

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Supposed to be a one-time thing, however, it didn't really work that well for me after trying it for several days. I removed it. Back to nothing and the battery seems unchanged, still not like before the update but about the same as with the app installed. No idea why it seemed to work so well for some and not for others.

I would give it another try, nothing to lose. With 8.0 I was getting around 5 hours SOT, and minimal stand by - idle drain. With 8.1 SOT dropped to considerably less than 5 hours and overnight stand by drain was 7-8%.

With gservicefix the effect was immediate. SOT is now close to 6 hours and may get even better and equally important is battery drain overnight is now 1%!
I have everything on except wifi, use mobile data and toggle wifi on when I need to. That hasn't changed since I bought the phone. To be perfectly honest I'm waiting for something negative to happen, SOT and drain suddenly reappear but for now I am a happy camper :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38