Returning my Panda XL to Return to the S8+

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Sad day, comrades. I've decided to return my Panda XL after around 4 days of use. Simple reason - I didn't see enough of an upgrade over my Galaxy S8+. For those of you that have used an S8+, I'm sure you know what I mean as it's probably the most direct competitor to the Pixel XL in terms of size and specs.

To break it down, here are my main reasons:

1) Lack of headphone jack. I didn't realize how much this would bother me. It's true I have a decent bluetooth headset, but I also have normal ear buds all over the place, so that no matter where I'm at I can simply plug in. Samsung wisely chose to stick with the jack.

2) The screen. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but it's obvious the S8+ screen is the best on the market and puts the LG screen on the XL to shame.

3) SD card - I have a 256GB Samsung SD card from a promo last year on the S7 Edge. Not a big deal, but it bothers me that I can't use it on the 2-XL.

4) Wireless charging. I have a charging pad beside my bedside, so the gathering dust on it kept reminding me about the 2-XL's lack of the feature.

5) The so-called Samsung lag? I've had the S8+ for around 5 months, have around 100 apps installed, always have at least a dozen apps running simultaneous, and I've seen not a hint of lag. Now let's be clear - the Panda is silky smooth and speedy as a pure-Google handset should be. But in comparing the 2 phones side by side, the Samsung was just as smooth thus negating any advantage in my mind.

6) Battery Life - my typical use drained the battery in both to identical levels by the end of the day. If you don't know, both have pretty much the same 3500mah size battery.

6) Finally - the decision between bare-bone Android versus a feature-rich Samsung skin. As stated in #5 , speed and smooth operation was a toss up to me. Therefore when you weigh the choice of bare-bone versus having a ton of options, I've decided I prefer having the features available - to turn on and off as I please. If I sacrifice slower updates for it, I'll just have to accept it. Android updates, even the major ones (i.e. Nougat to Oreo) have such a minor impact to daily use that I'm really not sure that getting monthly security updates versus every 2-3 months is worth it.

So that's my take.... I'm not trying to bash the 2-XL as it's a fine phone for what it is. But I agree with many here that don't think it's worth the $900 due to what is lacking in the hardware, and Google really shouldn't be charging that amount for just the pure 'software experience'. I'll miss the aesthetics though, I think the Panda is the best looking phone of 2017.

Last edited:

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Before anyone bashes you for your honesty, I can relate. However, I went in the opposite direction and sold my S8+. I also have a 256gb memory card with as many apps and movies in that phone. For me the deciding factor me was the constant updates and the fact that both phones IMO are equal.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you made the best decision for you. Each of those reasons mattered to you so it's definitely the right choice for you. Good luck.

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I went from S8 to pixel 2. Camera, speakers and software were the reason I'm sticking with the pixel. The screen and design I do miss sometimes but not enough to go back. I never really need an SD card.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Had S8+, Note 8 but I buy Pixel for other reasons, latest Android and security updates. Added bonus is best performance and camera.

But there are plenty other great Android phones if latest Android and security updates are not important.

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I said before, if the Note 8 had a regular update schedule I would have kept it. That phone could do everything. But I decided updates and security patches are more important to me, I am sticking with the Pixel.

I also think the Pixel 2 is at the right price but the XL should have only been a hundred dollars more instead of two hundred.

Kirk Burkhead

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I cannot lie! I am in this same boat, and sadly, I think my Pixel 2 XL will be going back tomorrow. Two really great phones and you can't go wrong with either. Comes down to personal preference really.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I had an S8+ -- The security updates + latest software makes me like my Pixel 2 XL more so I sold my S8+ and kept my XL.

bonnie100th

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Great to have quite a few options available in the market, hence there will be a phone that it can suit any of us, and all of us have different priorities, hence there are phone options for everybody. Salud!

sselemanrm

Oct 16, 2017
Visit site
S8+ literally just came out this year.. and you went in and tried to replace it.. and without doing research on the 2xl? I don't know how people change phones every year.

Well more power to you. Pixel ultimately has the better camera and guaranteed software support, while the s8+ has more hardware options

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Sad day, comrades. I've decided to return my Panda XL after around 4 days of use. Simple reason - I didn't see enough of an upgrade over my Galaxy S8+. For those of you that have used an S8+, I'm sure you know what I mean as it's probably the most direct competitor to the Pixel XL in terms of size and specs.

I have had pretty much the same debate. I want the pixel if google can ever get it sent to me but honestly going for pixel now a days is just not that clear cut a choice for the enthusiast. Yes the camera is better but not astronomically so. Fast update from google is always nice but in reality other then the cool factor it makes no difference day to day.

mlynch01

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
This is all subjective based on what's important to you for your phone. For me the "pure Android" software experience with optimized performance is important along with the software updates (3 yrs of OS updates) and a 2yr warranty. For me this support trumps everything else that the S8+ or even Note 8 has over the Pixel line. Having owned Samsung devices in the past and experienced the degradation of performance over time I choose to stay with Pixel. My wife's OG Pixel XL still performs like a champ and that long term performance is what's important to me. I can understand those who prioritize the hardware features of the Samsung devices though. It's all subjective.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
For items 1 and 2, both your existing headphones and your existing card can be used with the Pixel 2 XL. Not sure if you knew that already or not. Also, the "best screen on the market" is this list in this ranking order: iPhone X, iPhone 8+, Galaxy Note 8, iPhone 7+, Galaxy S8+. That's the top 5. That said, there's almost no discernible difference between any of them to the naked eye because they're all close enough to perfect that most humans cannot tell the difference.

Aside from that, I think you're making the right choice to go with what you love. I honestly don't think that the Pixel is an "upgrade" over the other 2017 phones, is it better? Yeah, probably. But it, like every other phone, is meant to be an upgrade from last year's devices or the year before. Normal people aren't buying phones every 3-6 months, they're buying them every 1 to 2 years. That's not a dig at you, at all, so please don't take it that way. It's just the 2017 devices are all so close together in specs and feature-set, etc. that it's difficult for me to imagine upgrading from one to another for any reason other than sheer boredom.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I said before, if the Note 8 had a regular update schedule I would have kept it. That phone could do everything. But I decided updates and security patches are more important to me, I am sticking with the Pixel.

I also think the Pixel 2 is at the right price but the XL should have only been a hundred dollars more instead of two hundred.

Spoken truth! I'm still on the August security patch on my Note 8! lol

MikeC01

May 7, 2013
Visit site
There's a reason why there are so many different phones available for purchase - because there is no one "best" phone. It really comes down to what is the best phone for you. I've owned Samsung, HTC, Apple, LG, Motorola and other brands of phone. They're all great in their own ways. Just find the phone that works best for you and be happy.

Aside from that, I think you're making the right choice to go with what you love. I honestly don't think that the Pixel is an "upgrade" over the other 2017 phones, is it better? Yeah, probably. But it, like every other phone, is meant to be an upgrade from last year's devices or the year before. Normal people aren't buying phones every 3-6 months, they're buying them every 1 to 2 years. That's not a dig at you, at all, so please don't take it that way. It's just the 2017 devices are all so close together in specs and feature-set, etc. that it's difficult for me to imagine upgrading from one to another for any reason other than sheer boredom.

Excellent point. If you're trading out phones every 3-6 months you're certainly not going to notice a massive difference between them. Technology in this arena is just not improving that fast.

If you trade up every 2 years, I'm sure there's a noticeable difference. Lately, I've been trading up annually and I've definitely noticed that there's not as noticeable of an improvement when I do so compared to when I used to be locked into the carrier's cycle of 18-24 months.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

Who cares? Why bother announcing this in the first place especially in the Pixel 2 forums? You expecting someone throw a party for you here?

...j/k. I think competition between Google, Samsung, Apple, whatever keeps things interesting and provides consumers with enough choices so there is usually something to satisfy nearly everyone but the pathologically picky.

Mrdouglas

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Question for you... Does the fingerprint scanner on the s8+ also function as a power button for the screen like it does on the Moto g5 plus? I bought a pixel 2 and that was one of my gripes. no double tap screen off and no screen off control in the fingerprint scanner. Couldn't get over the lack of ease to access it.

Thanks.

husslord

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was on the fence between the 2 XL and note 8 but for what I needed in a phone the 2 XL does it. I don't get why people (no one on here) are always ready to jump down others throats for what phones they prefer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa