Black blotchy mess/black crushing. Pixel 2?

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else getting terrible black blotchyness when watching dark videos on YouTube? More noticeable when you're in a dark room or in bed and whatnot.
Laying in bed watching some music videos and basically they're unwatchable. Looks aweful.
No details in darker areas just a mess.
No matter what brightness, colour mode or settings nothing changes it.

So yeah anyone else?

Cheers.

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Can't say that I've experienced that on my Pixel 2.

Maybe you haven't noticed it or you just got lucky? lol.
It's definitely not a hardware issue that's for sure though. I've done a bit of a search on Google and there's people out there that have it. Hopefully there is something that can be done for those who have it. And not just a cover up fix.

e30ernest

Nov 23, 2010
www.bmwe30cc.org
It's a pretty known issue, and it affects both the Pixel 2 and to an extent, the 2 XL. It seems to be an issue with the color management of Oreo though, since setting the phone to "Saturated" (which is an unmanaged color space) vastly lowers the crushing.

Hopefully this issue will be patched out.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
OP, can you post a link to a video I could test? One that has exhibited this behavior for you?

Yeah I would like to see what they're talking about cuz I have yet to see anything. Not saying it doesn't exist just don't know what they're talking about.

e30ernest

Nov 23, 2010
www.bmwe30cc.org
Generally dark videos with lots of shadow, like the Black Panther trailers. Also, you can spot this on the Display Tester app. You'll see how much of the dark grays are simply rendered as black in Natural and Vivid modes, while you'll see more of the grays in Saturated mode.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes my 2 xl has this pretty badly. I was watching the punisher in my room at around 30% brightness and there's a huge loss of detail in dark scenes.

I noticed this when i first got the phone while browsing web pages with the browser in night mode and the screen at low brightness. While scrolling, text looks like it deteriorates on the page until you stop.

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
OP, can you post a link to a video I could test? One that has exhibited this behavior for you?

Here are are two music videos I had problems with.
I actually did notice saturated mode helped but it's now morning here in Aus so nice and bright and sunny lol. Needs to be dark or an almost dark room. I never use full brightness but it shows on higher brightness in saturated mode. Lower brightness not as noticeable.

Anyways here two vids where I could really notice it in boosted colour mode. (I like boosted mode the best)

https://youtu.be/SBq7eDGFlMw

https://youtu.be/BbNGviLx7Mg

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I didn't notice anything unusual on my Pixel 2. I viewed in a well lit room, 40% brightness, adaptive brightness on, natural color palette.

I'll try again when it gets dark with the boosted color profile.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I didn't notice anything unusual about the video, it was dark. OP, what are you complaints about the playback of these videos?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Here are are two music videos I had problems with.
I actually did notice saturated mode helped but it's now morning here in Aus so nice and bright and sunny lol. Needs to be dark or an almost dark room. I never use full brightness but it shows on higher brightness in saturated mode. Lower brightness not as noticeable.

Anyways here two vids where I could really notice it in boosted colour mode. (I like boosted mode the best)

https://youtu.be/SBq7eDGFlMw

https://youtu.be/BbNGviLx7Mg

Running boosted the first video is a bit dark but it seems to be more a fault of the video than the phone. The second seems fine to me.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I didn't notice anything unusual about the video, it was dark. OP, what are you complaints about the playback of these videos?

Don't see it either..... I'll have to watch a Batman movie or something to compare but it looks the same as I expect on any device or my TV.

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

I lose a lot of detail in the clothing and some parts where light colours or lights in the videos meet black or dark areas. Instead of fading into black it's just like squares.
Like I mentioned before it's a fair bit noticeable to me in a pitch black room like in bed at night. Day time or well lit rooms it's pretty good.
I'm using boosted mode , brightness at about 40%, adaptive display on(have tried off helped only a tiny bit)
I see the problem from like 30% and all the way up to 100% brightness (which I don't use).

I have a photo I took with another phone if I can post it up. Kind of shows it.

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
That artifacting has nothing to do with the hardware.

Yeah I know it's not hardware but was hoping there could be something to fix this. Not a big fan of running colour adjustment apps and whatnot . Comparing the videos with my wife's S8 and the S8 was fine. Blacks were fine.
Like I can live with it if I have to use saturated mode to watch videos. Was just curious.
The good of this phone easily outweighs the bad. Definitely wouldn't get rid of my pixel because of this lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781