Moving on from Nexus 6p

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I like the double speakers so the sound is better than the N6P
For fairness sake I'll have to point out that the Nexus 6P ALSO has dual front-facing speakers, and although I haven't done a side-by-side comparison of their sound quality I certainly didn't think 'whoa, the speakers on the Pixel 2 XL blow the Nexus 6P out of the water' the first time I heard them. They sound pretty similar to me.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
So, having experienced the well documented battery issues with the Nexus 6p, I have just received a full refund and so am looking for my next phone... Considering getting the Pixel as I've had Nexus one, then Nexus Galaxy, Nexus 4, then 6p, and also the Nexus 10 tablet, so I'm quite invested in my Google/Android way of life, and have not had problems with phones other than this, which has been resolved with excellent customer service.
However, that said, I don't want to just move to another phone with widely reported problems - i.e. the Pixel2 XL screen.
So, how do people think the Pixel or Pixel2 measures up? I am apprehensive about dropping screen size. What alternatives would people suggest if I was to leave Google?
Thanks!!

OP, I am a sucker for Google phones.
I have both the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2XL. If you do not want the screen issues, get the Pixel 2. The only thing that bothers me now and then are those huge bezels. Otherwise the Pixel 2 is probably the most underrated device of 2017. It has everything the larger device has except the screen size (an no blue tint since the panel is made by Samsung and not LG). I think people do not give Google enough credit for making a 5" screen device with all the bells and whistles at the price they charge for it.

The Pixel 2XL is a great device as well, quite compact for the size (although the most compact 6 incher is the LG V30 but man that UI is ugly). Outside of the blue tint at an angle no issues with the phone. I haven't decided which one I will keep, since I have a spare line, I might just keep both of them.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
So, how do people think the Pixel or Pixel2 measures up?
I like my Pixel 2 XL so far. However, one feature that I miss from my Nexus 6P is the notification LED - it was nice to be able to glance at the phone and see that a message was pending, rather than always having to turn the screen on (either via double-tap or Power button) just to see if anything happened while I was away.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I like my Pixel 2 XL so far. However, one feature that I miss from my Nexus 6P is the notification LED - it was nice to be able to glance at the phone and see that a message was pending, rather than always having to turn the screen on (either via double-tap or Power button) just to see if anything happened while I was away.

Doesn't the "Always On Display" solve that problem?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

It Does, but if it doesn't...

It does have a notification light. You can enable by:

Settings > Apps & Notifications > Notifications > Tap "Blink Light" slider

Now I know you guys are going to go, "wow, this guy is like the superman of Android nerdery!" - but that's not the case, I've just been using the phone for a lot longer than everyone else and was strongly encouraged to test stuff.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It Does, but if it doesn't...

It does have a notification light. You can enable by:

Settings > Apps & Notifications > Notifications > Tap "Blink Light" slider

Now I know you guys are going to go, "wow, this guy is like the superman of Android nerdery!" - but that's not the case, I've just been using the phone for a lot longer than everyone else and was strongly encouraged to test stuff.

... But I thought you WERE the "Superman of Android Nerdery"?

My worldview is shattered! 😜

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I guess if you want your display on 24/7. I tried that for a bit but it seems like even if the proximity sensor is covered (ie phone is in my holster) the screen is still on. And to top it off the information is shown in the same location on the screen, rather than a floating location, so it seems like that would encourage screen burn-in. I didn't want to risk that.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I guess if you want your display on 24/7. I tried that for a bit but it seems like even if the proximity sensor is covered (ie phone is in my holster) the screen is still on. And to top it off the information is shown in the same location on the screen, rather than a floating location, so it seems like that would encourage screen burn-in. I didn't want to risk that.
The location does move throughout the day, but yeah it's on all the time. I turned it off too.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The Always-On-Display is just way to useful for me, so I leave it on.
If I should ever have burn-in, Google added the two year warranty specifically to cover it.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
screw phones, get a puppy instead. it'll last longer, never needs software updates and will bring much huger amounts of joy.

Of course, a phone doesn't pee on the couch, pull the covers off the bed, or leave his toy where you're bound to step on it when you're walking to the bathroom at 2 a.m. I love my dog but I use my phone.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The location does move throughout the day
I turned it on when I went to bed last night and didn't sleep well so I was constantly up. Every time I checked the phone the information was shown in exactly the same place on the screen. I saw no evidence that the information floated anywhere else on the display.
When you say 'throughout the day' what do you mean? How long is it displayed in the same spot before it moves somewhere else?
Anyway, based on that experience I just turned it back off.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I turned it on when I went to bed last night and didn't sleep well so I was constantly up. Every time I checked the phone the information was shown in exactly the same place on the screen. I saw no evidence that the information floated anywhere else on the display.
When you say 'throughout the day' what do you mean? How long is it displayed in the same spot before it moves somewhere else?
It's subtle but I've seen might I'm almost a half a centimeter to the left and it's similar to the functionality of Samsung initiated where they slightly move the location to pixels buy a pixel or two in order to avoid the burn in issue

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site

https://9to5google.com/2017/10/17/google-pixel-2-oled-burn-in-protection/

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Wow I thought you would be WAY more excited about that! lol
Hey, I've actually seen it working! It's great having a notification LED on this device.
Funny thing is that I never even noticed that small hole until I saw it start flashing.

Anyone know if it supports multiple colors?